Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OS 12 TzR

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2006, 05:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

I`ve gotta agree on the temp issue......last year when racing at Eastern Creek, i took a couple of readings with the temp gauge off the track surface....they were pushing close to 150 deg F!!
When its this hot, its gonna push engine temps up rather quickly...when racing the RB there on these days, i usually found engine temps of around 260f to be giving the best in terms of performance and reliablity......have yet to give the OS a run there in these extreme temps but will be interested to see what eventuates.
Cheers
Old 01-22-2006, 02:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Hey guys
may i ask where are you guys taking the temps from?

bottom head fin or top of the glow plug ? i get cooler reading from above the glow plug but i think the temp gun is not close enough to the glow plug to get a good precise reading
Old 01-22-2006, 11:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BrainTeased
Hey guys
may i ask where are you guys taking the temps from?

bottom head fin or top of the glow plug ? i get cooler reading from above the glow plug but i think the temp gun is not close enough to the glow plug to get a good precise reading
To my understanding, it all depends on your temp gun. Some are designed to take temps on the glow plug, and others from the back of your engine head.
Old 01-22-2006, 11:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

I just gave break-in to my new OS TZ 3port using Josh Cyrul's break-in procedure. Only problem Im seeing with my engine is that it takes a while for it to reach idle speed. And the thing is that its running at a cool 205F. Im running 30% nitro and OS 6 Plug. I tried to richen the low speed needle a bit, but it still does it. Should I add another shim to the head other than the stock one?
Old 01-22-2006, 02:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (94%+)
Default tz tuning problem solved

hey guys
RC_Alan - i took my engine to the lhs and a guy ther etuned my engine
this guy is actually my mates boss and has been into nitro racing for like 20+ years, has also modified some previous engines for me.

he said the low end and mid range were a bit too lean, that is why there wasnt much tuning on the high speed. we also diagnosed a tiny pin hole leak in the base of the carb so we sealed that up with high temp rtv sealant and also did the back plate to be safe. i can now see the tz 5 's power!!

damn this thing screams and was running under 100degrees celsius, the weather was also about 30degrees yesterday as well.

thanks heaps!
Old 01-23-2006, 02:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Riketsu
To my understanding, it all depends on your temp gun. Some are designed to take temps on the glow plug, and others from the back of your engine head.
yea my friend has a temp gun designed to take readings from the glow plug.
its awesome. i might have to do a comparison test with his from my glow plug and then with mine on the bottom fin of the head and see what happens
Old 01-23-2006, 07:36 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by mrgsr
hey guys
RC_Alan - i took my engine to the lhs and a guy ther etuned my engine
this guy is actually my mates boss and has been into nitro racing for like 20+ years, has also modified some previous engines for me.

he said the low end and mid range were a bit too lean, that is why there wasnt much tuning on the high speed. we also diagnosed a tiny pin hole leak in the base of the carb so we sealed that up with high temp rtv sealant and also did the back plate to be safe. i can now see the tz 5 's power!!

damn this thing screams and was running under 100degrees celsius, the weather was also about 30degrees yesterday as well.

thanks heaps!
That's goodnews... I hope the guy at the lhs showed you what a tick is as far as engine tuning/carb adjustment... The carb holds it's tune very well...

RC_Alan
Old 01-23-2006, 07:51 AM
Tech Master

I see a lot of engine tuners selling the OS TZP, Murnan, Kondo and ZAC. What is the best modded OS motor?

Cheers
Old 01-23-2006, 12:24 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rc_alan
That's goodnews... I hope the guy at the lhs showed you what a tick is as far as engine tuning/carb adjustment... The carb holds it's tune very well...

RC_Alan

yeh he did
he gave me a run down on engine tuning, so much easier to learn it when its done in front of you. he said i shouldnt have to touch the low/mid needle ever again
Old 01-23-2006, 03:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ziggy12345
I see a lot of engine tuners selling the OS TZP, Murnan, Kondo and ZAC. What is the best modded OS motor?

Cheers
I am sure that all of these Modified .12TZ engines are very good, but what do they guys at your track use? Everyone has a favorite modifier they like, but utill their is a comparson on all modified .12TZ engines I would pick the one that fast guy at your track uses.
Old 01-23-2006, 04:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

All of you guys asking about temps for the .12TZ stop! Your engine will tell you what is the right temp, don't go by the temp gun all of the time, every climate is different and we all live in different elevations so temps will vary.

I race across the US and my .12TZ engines will temp out different every day and every state I race in. I go by lap times, so if my fastest lap time is when my engine is running at 187 deg I try to keep it there, and if your racing at a big event your temps change throughout the day. Learn to tune by ear and the conditions that your racing in and learn how to gear you car to the track your racing at, and gearing changes temp.

It takes alot of time to learn how to tune right and get it perfict every race day. Practice in playing with different needle settings, and run your car to see how it performs and write it down, this helps alot. play with your settings you will find where your engine likes to run, every engine is different and they all can be a pain to tune somtimes. The temp on an engine is just one part of the picture look at the whole picture.
Old 01-28-2006, 05:43 AM
Tech Elite

Default t5 performance

hey guys
was running the t5 today and damn its quick

temps were around the 125 C F was a pretty warm day as well in the high 20's. engine sounded very crisp with bl;ue smoke in the corners and some at top end. after my 15 min final the plug had died but was still wet/shiny at the bottom so i guess that was a pretty good tune.

first i had it around 100degrees but it was too rich and running out of fuel before the end of the 5 min heat so i starte dto lean it up. i should go to a colder plug in these hot days it might help the engine run cooler.
Old 01-28-2006, 09:57 PM
Tech Elite

Default zac tz 3 port

has anyone tried the zac tz 3 port engine ?

im selling my standard 3 port for a modified version
im looking towards the zac tz its pretty cheap at 29000yen
Old 01-29-2006, 01:49 AM
Tech Fanatic

I`m getting mine delivered tomorrow
I ordered mine through PRO-SHOP FUTABA <[email protected]>......they quoted the ZAC Modified OS TZ 3 port .12 at 28,000yen.....with EMS and paypal charges it works out at 31616 yen to your front door. Just send them an email of what youre after and they`ll send you back a quote.
They were the cheapest i could find for this engine
Cheers
PS will give it its first outing at the next EC club day
Old 01-30-2006, 06:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

OS TZ ZAC modified arrived today....took the head off and removed the sleeve to check for shavings etc.....it was very clean.....one thing i can say is that it certainly has some extensive sleeve porting
Cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.