Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree84Likes

Tekin Rx8 Gen3 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2021, 04:27 AM
Tech Initiate

I did get some real info from Tekin yesterday, he stated it is the reboot code which could be from overcurrent on the BEC. Which I put a new servo in earlier that day which happened to be a HV servo and I did not change my BEC to 7.4VDC. There is a very good chance that is what is happening. I am going to head out to the shop in a bit and try that.
Old 03-24-2021, 05:52 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by txrocks
I did get some real info from Tekin yesterday, he stated it is the reboot code which could be from overcurrent on the BEC. Which I put a new servo in earlier that day which happened to be a HV servo and I did not change my BEC to 7.4VDC. There is a very good chance that is what is happening. I am going to head out to the shop in a bit and try that.
A high voltage servo does not necessarily have to run 7.4v and will not correct the issue.
Old 03-24-2021, 07:42 AM
Tech Elite

My RX8 Gen3 died on Sunday. It started suddenly cogging like a phase that's disconnected. I went home and replaced my cables, thinking that a cable was damaged. The issue stayed and I tried an other motor. But same thing with that one.
I always used with a Kyosho Zeal gel under it, so I tried to protect it as good as possible
Old 04-04-2021, 07:55 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Shawn B
A high voltage servo does not necessarily have to run 7.4v and will not correct the issue.

Update on mine. Changing the BEC to 7.4vdc fixed the problem. It was the only thing I changed and it's been fat dumb and happy since.
Old 04-22-2021, 07:07 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by morgoth
My RX8 Gen3 died on Sunday. It started suddenly cogging like a phase that's disconnected. I went home and replaced my cables, thinking that a cable was damaged. The issue stayed and I tried an other motor. But same thing with that one.
I always used with a Kyosho Zeal gel under it, so I tried to protect it as good as possible
same problem here. I’m trying to figure out what caused my esc to fail. Any idea what caused it?
Old 04-29-2021, 12:42 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by BWtekno83
same problem here. I’m trying to figure out what caused my esc to fail. Any idea what caused it?
Nope, I always took good care of it. The only thing I can see is that some of the coating of the PCB at the bottom wore off. The support for the PCB look too thin and maybe they cut into the PCB.
Tekin offered me to replace it for 129$, but I'm in the EU. I need to ship back to the USA first, then they ship to me and I have to pay customs on it. All shipping costs and customs are for me, so it will be almost as expensive as a new unit bought locally.
The new XR8 Pro combo is half the price of the Tekin combo over here, so I bought that now. That will hurt less if it dies
I must say the HW combo is a lot smoother than my Tekin RX8 Gen 3 with 1900kv Gen 3 motor. But the thing I liked so much about Tekin is that it doesn't need a fan for buggy use.
Old 06-16-2021, 09:52 AM
Tech Rookie

Does anyone have the values for the light tree when programing? The directions only give a few, but not for break strength, drag break, and a few others. Thanks
Old 06-16-2021, 02:54 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Chasebanks
Does anyone have the values for the light tree when programing? The directions only give a few, but not for break strength, drag break, and a few others. Thanks
search YouTube 'Tekin Clinic'. There are 24 videos where Randy explains all the different settings and how to program them on the unit...
Old 06-17-2021, 01:07 PM
Tech Regular

Brief read over and just wanted to double check a few points on the RX8 Gen3

1) 12 awg is perfectly suitable for power and motor wires? I normally default to 10 awg on my 4S bashers but the solder post would be a little cluttered trying to wire up 10 awg

2) as it doesn’t run ‘Lipo auto-detect’ I can just wire up an LiHV with no need to change settings

3) I’ve seen a few comments about leaving the HW3 connected but as it uses the fan port wouldn’t that meant they have removed the fan or powered it separately? Assuming you can’t run a splitter?

4) I’ve been able to set the RX8 via my iPhone and HW3 but can never get a connection when using my PC, I just keep getting a ‘check connection’ error given the HW3 works via BT I’m I right in assuming the error is most likely related to my PC setting up?

Thanks
Old 06-17-2021, 01:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

#1 Tekin uses 12ga posts and fit 12ga wire
#2 does not auto select voltage cut off thou is customizable, 4s must be selected even for lihv.
#3 the fan only needs a +5vdc and ground from the fan plug, modification at your own risk.
EvilR2.0 likes this.
Old 08-30-2021, 10:05 AM
Tech Apprentice

Has anyone replaced the case on this? Are there instructions anywhere? Bought a black replacement case and there is zero documentation, nor is there any on the Tekin site that I can find.
Old 08-30-2021, 10:20 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by jkranz
Has anyone replaced the case on this? Are there instructions anywhere? Bought a black replacement case and there is zero documentation, nor is there any on the Tekin site that I can find.
I replaced the white case with the black one on mine and it was fairly straightforward. I removed the bottom screws and gently pulled it out. You will need to un-solder the wires.
Old 08-30-2021, 11:21 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks... I had removed the screws (nothing yet soldered) and it reallllly did not want to come out, to the point where I was more worried about breaking something more than anything. I'll give it another go and decide if it's worth swapping the cases.
Old 08-30-2021, 01:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jkranz
Thanks... I had removed the screws (nothing yet soldered) and it reallllly did not want to come out, to the point where I was more worried about breaking something more than anything. I'll give it another go and decide if it's worth swapping the cases.
It may be a little snug when cool or cold as the conformal coating and glues used soften a bit after the first use. Some cases if new or used the pcb maybe just adhered a bit to the case.
Old 09-14-2021, 08:42 PM
Tech Master

Hey Prez, I hear that Jared Tebo is a free agent for some electronics - since Ty is a huge fan of Tekno (saw the first part of the EB48 2.0 Build tonight), it might make for a good match - just sayin’…

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.