Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BMI's DB12R

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 02:49 PM

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

So here's a new one. I just busted the rear motor pod plate... the forward screw on the diff side, I noticed the screw was loose every couple races, so I re-tightened it, and when I did I noticed that the entire CF structure is falling apart there. Sure enough, next race, I had a very slight tap to the wall and it came apart.

The bummer is : the store is out of "DB1020R 2.5mm C/F Lower Pod Plate"

So I am on the bench until I get one of these. Any idea Jason when these plates will be available? Around the same time as the CF flex plates?

Also any thoughts on hardening that area? This isnt a big deal as this plate lasted 2 full season without issue and some very significant hits... just curious if any more material could be added around that spot?
Old 11-01-2009, 03:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (99%+)

Originally Posted by SpraydbySprague
Here's a question. Has anyone ever bent the right rear pod plate?

I just took my 12RR apart for it's regular cleaning and noticed the right rear pod plate is tweaked. Just ordered a new one. Hopefully I'll get it by the weekend.
Yes I just found mine is bent also. I've had some issues with the motor backing away on hard hits, like when I turn in too soon at the end of the sweeper, other than that it was'nt affecting the performance. O'well gives me an excuse to get those extra lowered pod plates that I never did upgrade to.
Old 11-01-2009, 04:02 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Conducting aggressive board meetings at my local track
Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mike ivy
Hey Chris,

Solution: STAY OFF THE BOARDS Lol.....
Mike,

Once again thanks for displaying your astonishing grasp of the obvious. LOL!

How ya been bro? Ya missed me takin TQ and the A main 2weeks ago. Oh wait, if you were there I'd never would've done that. LOL!

Originally Posted by PHI/BMI racer
Yip done that and only noticed after 3 events (2 National and 1 Regional). Can you believe it was still A-mains and same speed as all the other cars. It's Aluminum, so it can bend if hit.

Caio
At least I'm not alone. Wonder if there's a possibility of adding a little more material to that plate? I was thinking the opening where the motor shaft goes thru could be made smaller, possibily adding some strength.
Old 11-01-2009, 05:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Yo Chris,

Wasup just bustin ya Lol.... Great news with the TQ. Im glad your doing well down there. I've been doin great, been running 1/12th lipo at Horsham having a blast.

Mike,

Once again thanks for displaying your astonishing grasp of the obvious. LOL!

How ya been bro? Ya missed me takin TQ and the A main 2weeks ago. Oh wait, if you were there I'd never would've done that. LOL!

At least I'm not alone. Wonder if there's a possibility of adding a little more material to that plate? I was thinking the opening where the motor shaft goes thru could be made smaller, possibily adding some strength.
Old 11-01-2009, 08:38 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by -showtime-
I'm only a couple tenths off the really fast guys so I thing with a good run in the final qual in the morning I can put it in the show.

Congrats on making the A, it looks like you were right in the mix.
Old 11-01-2009, 10:00 PM
Uga
Tech Regular

I just took my 12RR apart for it's regular cleaning and noticed the right rear pod plate is tweaked. Just ordered a new one. Hopefully I'll get it by the weekend.
When I bent my I started stripping spur gears one each run, when I replaced my Xenon/HPI gears back to Kimbrough it was fine for the rest of the race. Kimbrough is bulletproof Always keep a spare right pod.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:16 AM
Tech Adept

Done a few of those, they generally bend away from where the motor screws go through.

Jason
Old 11-02-2009, 07:56 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by VRacing
Greg,

Sounds like you're having a pretty good event. Hope Sunday goes well. Any chance you can give us a run down of your 17.5 Lipo Setup with the new flexplates? Any changes you've made after switching the parts over from the fiberglass plates? I realize you can't give away the store here in front of everybody, but, some insight for the club level drivers is always appreciated!

Aaron
Yea, wasn't a bad weekend. I was TQ for a while in 17.5 foam TC but ended up 2nd and finished 2nd, so that was good. Wished 1/12 would have been a little better. I'll post my setup in a day or so when I get everything unpacked and get a chance to write down where I ended up.

Originally Posted by chris moore
Execlent, thanks for that info. It sounds like these will are going to be a nice improvement, and good luck tomorrow.
Thanks! and yea I think they are going to be a nice part.

I've bent a few also, right where the motor screws are. Anytime your having tweek issues with the rear of the car that is a good place to look. It's good to have a spare. I've even took a hammer on a flat surface and straightened them, not ideal but will work in a pinch.

Originally Posted by chris moore
Congrats on making the A, it looks like you were right in the mix.
Thanks! Still never really got the horsepower where it needed to be. This was the first race I had a 1 cell in the car, so still figuring that out. I just manned up and wheeled it in the 4th round and ended up qualing 9th and finishing finishing 10th (after getting punted) in 17.5 1/12.
Old 11-02-2009, 01:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

One more with too much affection for the boards here!!!

It happens because the weight of the motor hurling forwards or backwards in a big hit is too much for the remaining material in the plate. As someone said earlier, closing down the hole for the motor would add more section across the plane where it bends. However...

They can be straightened. Use a flat, thick metal plate, place the pod side down so the ends are touching the plate, and tap gently in the middle. It takes a bit of patience, but I've straightened a couple that way. It doesn't seem to weaken the side plate, but I wouldn't straighten one more than twice, as it would probably be weaker after that.

Like Chris says, always a good excuse to upgrade if you haven't yet!!

Don't the boards have lexan magnets? They seem to have a magnetic attraction to my car!
Old 11-02-2009, 03:28 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by SlowerOne
One more with too much affection for the boards here!!!

It happens because the weight of the motor hurling forwards or backwards in a big hit is too much for the remaining material in the plate. As someone said earlier, closing down the hole for the motor would add more section across the plane where it bends.

Don't the boards have lexan magnets? They seem to have a magnetic attraction to my car!
Yea, well still working on the board thing.

I mentioned closing down the hole to strengthen the pod plate. Gonna try straightening out this bent one and keep it for a spare.

I thought the front of my car had a wood magnet in it.

Jason! Please hear us poor hacks cry for help!
Old 11-02-2009, 03:49 PM

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I was thinking... what about using something like a 2mm thick strip of Ti behind the screw head... as sort of a rectangular washer that would spread the force of the screw over a large area? The top is the only place its really needed as the bottom has the CF there if you use a screw with a normal washer to help bolster it.
Old 11-02-2009, 04:11 PM
avs
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Clegg
I was thinking... what about using something like a 2mm thick strip of Ti behind the screw head... as sort of a rectangular washer that would spread the force of the screw over a large area? The top is the only place its really needed as the bottom has the CF there if you use a screw with a normal washer to help bolster it.
have you tried 'fatboy' screws? (i think they are from lunsford)
Old 11-03-2009, 07:46 PM
Tech Elite

Here's a question. Notwithstanding breakage, how often does everyone replace the flex plates?
Old 11-03-2009, 08:34 PM
Tech Champion

So far only when they break for me.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:52 PM
Tech Elite

Here's a question. Notwithstanding breakage, how often does everyone replace the flex plates?
I just replaced my original set, nothing wrong with them to the eye but I figured that after 2+ yrs thay may have lost some of their flex.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.