Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
CASTLE CREATIONS MOTORS are now ROAR LEGAL!!! >

CASTLE CREATIONS MOTORS are now ROAR LEGAL!!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CASTLE CREATIONS MOTORS are now ROAR LEGAL!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 09:49 AM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

who cares, i wanna see em bring the pain. perhaps this will leave the sensored speedo stillborn. hmm

R
Old 12-12-2008, 10:01 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 159 (99%+)

I don't see sensorless taking over by any means (at least for racing). What I do see is the possibility to put sensors in a Delta wound motor. With the extra torque that deltas have, gearing them up produces an incredibly smooth powerband. Guaranteed starts and the power curve of a delta? THAT would be sweet.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:56 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Krio
I don't see sensorless taking over by any means (at least for racing).
Well lets not start that debate!! But I will say this, I'm using it for racing!

Old 12-12-2008, 12:03 PM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

I don't see sensorless taking over by any means (at least for racing). What I do see is the possibility to put sensors in a Delta wound motor. With the extra torque that deltas have, gearing them up produces an incredibly smooth powerband. Guaranteed starts and the power curve of a delta? THAT would be sweet.
i meant the sensored speedo that castle was workin on, sorry for confusion

R
Old 12-12-2008, 12:09 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Kewl!!!!!!
Old 12-12-2008, 05:21 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I love my Mamba and Sidewinder systems so this is awesome news.
Old 12-12-2008, 05:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by scott54
Well lets not start that debate!! But I will say this, I'm using it for racing!

me too
Old 12-12-2008, 08:05 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

WOOOHOOO!!! at last!! come on Castle, i know you can do it!! keep going!!!
Old 12-12-2008, 08:12 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Any "stock" or "spec" class will always have to use identically built motors...

The wye wind has become the standard for stock racing and there is no way to build an "identical" delta wind. Look what happened going from brushed to brushless. They tried to make it so you could keep running your brushed motors and be equal if not have more power than a brushless. Now with timing being adjustable within the esc and rotors getting better all the time there is a HUGE gap between brushed and brushless stock.

Also, its not a matter of simply making a motor of the same kv...delta wound motors have a lot more torque so you would have to go to an even lower kv to compensate, thus making it impossible to get proper gearing in most cars.

+1 for roar making the motors legal for mod. Mod should always be more of an "open" type class as far as motors go. You can overpower any car with any type motor...
Well Castle could make a lower KV motor that would be equal to some of the other lets say 13.5 motors. Lets face it spec racing might use 13.5 motors built to the same rules but not all brands run equally. You have some fast and some slow so no different if Castle built something. It could be fast or it could be slow so it all depends on what a company wants to make.
Old 12-13-2008, 02:34 AM
Tech Addict

Any "stock" or "spec" class will always have to use identically built motors...

The wye wind has become the standard for stock racing and there is no way to build an "identical" delta wind. Look what happened going from brushed to brushless. They tried to make it so you could keep running your brushed motors and be equal if not have more power than a brushless. Now with timing being adjustable within the esc and rotors getting better all the time there is a HUGE gap between brushed and brushless stock.

Also, its not a matter of simply making a motor of the same kv...delta wound motors have a lot more torque so you would have to go to an even lower kv to compensate, thus making it impossible to get proper gearing in most cars.

+1 for roar making the motors legal for mod. Mod should always be more of an "open" type class as far as motors go. You can overpower any car with any type motor...
Not sure on this, But you might be wrong, If you look at an identical wind in both wye and delta, you will see a 1.73 factor on the rpm's with the higher KV going to the delta. Going by that I would say that the wye should be the torquier motor and the delta would be smoother. Think of the KV difference like the difference between 2 and 4 stroke, lower kv should be torquier but lower RPM for the input. By my figures, you'd need a 3118kv motor to match the 21.5 (1800kv) power for power. Too bad the traxxas motor isn't going to be legal, its close in kv and can take a lot of gear
Old 12-13-2008, 05:57 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (88%+)

Originally Posted by scott54
I can't find anything on the ROAR site on this yet, but I just heard from Thomas over at Castle that they got the word from ROAR that their motors will now be included in the 2009 approved MOD brushless motors list.

That's all I know.... and yes, Thomas did tell me to spread the word about this.

Sounds cool!
Old 12-15-2008, 07:15 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by crazyjr
Not sure on this, But you might be wrong, If you look at an identical wind in both wye and delta, you will see a 1.73 factor on the rpm's with the higher KV going to the delta. Going by that I would say that the wye should be the torquier motor and the delta would be smoother. Think of the KV difference like the difference between 2 and 4 stroke, lower kv should be torquier but lower RPM for the input. By my figures, you'd need a 3118kv motor to match the 21.5 (1800kv) power for power. Too bad the traxxas motor isn't going to be legal, its close in kv and can take a lot of gear
That may be true if certain things are held constant, but there are some key differences in current wye and delta winds for rc, the biggest one being rotor size. Looking at identical kv's (novak 7.5 @ 5800 and castle 5700) there is a big power despairity in favor of castles 5700.
A 3100 kv delta would be nowhere near a 21.5 in terms of power. The traxxas velineon is closer to a 10.5 (4200kv)

Hey ROAR...With castle motors roar legal, what other popular delts will be able to join the racing action?
Old 12-15-2008, 10:16 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

THEY ARE NOT ROAR LEGAL, yet...

http://rc-monster.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17229
Old 12-15-2008, 10:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

with the nats coming up in my backyeard this year, this is good news. Very good to see ROAR working together.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:59 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by whitrzac
Of course they're not legal yet...its still 08. They have the very high potential to be roar legal next year and that is close enough

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.