Community
Wiki Posts
Search

new radios, what to get them going?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 03:51 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

now to run these guys i heard u have to run there reciver, but i want to do the spektrum moduals, i dont want to run the fasst in the 3pk

so how do i go about this?

and is it the same for the KO?

I don't think I saw the answer to your question so here goes.

You can buy either tx and put the spektrum module in either one. The spektrum pro modules are backward compatible with older rx's. The original spektrum is not forward compatible with the newer pro rx's.

What I did was purchase the 3PKS tx no module and purchased the newer spektrum pro system and and installed. I understand your point about already having rx's and common equipment at your track which is why I purchased spektrum instead of fasst.

As far as KO and Z1 you can do the same by only purchasing the tx with no module and then adding spektrum. One point I must make with KO is I looked at the JR Z1 and KO Helios (same radio) and found out that the Z1 has a 3yr warranty and the Helios has a 90 day warranty. This knocked the Helios right out of my (personal) choices.

Hope that helped a little. BTW the 3PKS is a bada$$ tx.
Old 06-20-2007, 04:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I recently switched over to 2.4 ghz and I went with Futaba FASST + 3PK because I've always used Futaba gear and I read a lot of threads on rc forums about spektrum binding issues. (I can't think of a more frustrating scenario than the tx not being able to talk to the rx). That may be unfair to spektrum...It could be that a bunch of noobs just didn't know what they were doing, but I didn't want to have to worry about it.

If I had it to do all over again, I would have gotten the 3PM because it's a great deal and I like how my old 3PJ feels in my hand better than the 3PK. That way, I'd have a more comfortable tx and a little cash left over for a lipo tx battery and an extra receiver without sacrificing too much in the bells and whistles department.
Old 06-20-2007, 05:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Originally Posted by seaball
i agree that these threads just become a series of opinions almost 100% of the time. use the following as your guide.

1) if it comes down to opinions, who's do you trust? and why? most locals play follow the leader, but that doesn't mean the leader was right. just someone to chase. however, running the same stuff can get you out of a jam, so you may not want to isolate yourself. but, qualify your sources. rctech is notorious for z-main morons with 55 sponsors in their signatures.

2) read the spectrum threads, and compare it to the futaba 3pk thread or whatever you are considering. it's all been discussed already. you can tally up the frequency and magnitude of problems with each. i have not read it, and i occasionally come across spectrum jokes in any of these threads. i have inferred from this that it's perhaps not that robust.

you have to weigh what features are most important to you. instead of asking "what's the best", start asking about the standout features of each radio. then, you get to decide which one is the best fit, instead of asking johnny toolbox to imagine which one will make you the happiest.

i have been exceedingly impressed with the latest futaba stuff. i didn't care about the 2.4 until i used it. i listed my reasoning, or what i felt is important in a radio system in my first post (reliability, speed, accuracy). i can get used to whatever is in my hands, but i can't get used to stuff that fails, or adds unpredictability.

lastly, if it were me, i wouldn't let the fact i already had a receiver dictate what i spent 4-5 times that on for a radio system. it's too important a piece of equipment to me.

best of luck to you. you best weapon is research.

well to me it is..... another 60 bucks to add to the list.... thats what i want to use... i dont see the point in the pro stuff, and my spektrum rx is convered in a cf vynial so u cant see if its clear or gray

idk, its a hard decision, REAL hard lol i know if i pick the wrong one i could take it back if i didnt like it..... but i duno

its killing me tho lol, idk which one.... and idk on features... whats most important to big level racers? i want what will last me if i need it to

if possible, can someone put a lil list togather? what id need to make it all work? the radio, modual, all that just so i know that i know what im looking at buying is all the correct stuff?

LDP, thanks! thats what i wanted to hear! so i can just buy the futaba radio, and the modual that fits it? should i do the pro? and if i did the pro modual it would work with the normal spektrum rx?

sorry for all the ??'s but hey its not a lil bit of money im spending, and i want it rite the first time

anyone know where i can find a list of all the features they bolth have? i havent been able to find a list yet
Old 06-20-2007, 05:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

2.4GHz market right now...

I'm not impressed by: Spektrum

Good, solid systems: Nomadio and Futaba

Incredible potential: XBee-based systems like Xtreme Power Systems
Old 06-20-2007, 05:36 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by CypressMidWest
It's plenty obvious from your signature.
But I also have a 3PK and I have a Spektrum module... I have a few spektrum receivers that I still use... I just set my Sensor or React to control them...
Old 06-20-2007, 06:01 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by adamge

well i have zero probs with it so far.. so it stays for now

and i duno... if the price is the same or close then i will do the 3pk super
Old 06-20-2007, 06:36 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by adamge

You and I must have posted at the same time, didn't see this...

Nomadio and Futaba are running the same system, both are frequency hopping which means you have pretty much unlimited channels unlike the 80 (?) that Spektrum has...

Give it time and I bet Spektrum comes out with their own DSS system instead of DSM....
Old 06-20-2007, 06:39 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Blackedoutrevo,

I have a 3PKS and while I haven't switched to 2.4 ghz yet I have followed the Spektrum and FASST threads quite closely. I've read and seen firsthand PLENTY of problems with Spektrum. As for FASST, I honestly have not heard of or read of a single issue. Just the opposite - people praise its speed, smoothness, glitch-free performance. In fact, some die-hard Helios users at my track have switched to the 3PKS and FASST system in recent months.

I'd also re-read Seaball's posts, they make very good points.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:50 PM
Tech Regular

Cool

I've read and seen firsthand PLENTY of problems with Spektrum
I started racing (carpet) last august so I have not been around and seen near as much as some. However two out of five guys I drive/race with are JR/ Horizon team drivers. The only problem ever encountered with their equipment was the original spektrum rx's building up static from carpet racing due to the antenna routing.

I have yet to experience one problem with the original spektrum with an M11 to my 3PKS with pro system. Driving 3x a week from Aug. to Jan., 3 different cars 3 different types of rx's with 4 out of the 5 of us all DSM, never once seen a binding issue. Not to say nobody has ever had a problem but at all the big races last year we attended being that the guys I traveled with they would have for sure been made known.

Every innovator is for sure going to have problems but once the path is beaten it allows all other to follow easier.

blackedoutrevo I originally found the 3PKS on Tower in tx only form then pursued through my LHS only to find i was b/o for 2 months. Every once in a while a guy on here does a bulk purchase in for sale section, thats how I got mine. I'm sure by now the tx is available...... maybe. I ordered my spektrum pro system from these guys for the same b/o reason, really good price.
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Spektrum-PRO...QQcmdZViewItem

The original spektrum module will not work with pro rx's (not forward compatible). The Pro module will work with old rx's(backwards compatible). The pro module is only $20.00 more!!

Thats the only two things you need besides thinking about upgrading the tx battery, it's not bad but you can build a much better pack!

BTW make sure and get the 3PKS magnum.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:03 PM
Tech Master

If you really like the feel of the Helios, then I say go with that, your going to be holding it for a long time. Most of the higher end radios have the same functions anyway. I've been using the Helios with Spektrum pro and micro receiver and there have been no problems thus far. I think during the Speed cup you took a look at my radio, if it seems comfortable for you, go for it.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:14 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Tek Nickal
If you really like the feel of the Helios, then I say go with that, your going to be holding it for a long time. Most of the higher end radios have the same functions anyway. I've been using the Helios with Spektrum pro and micro receiver and there have been no problems thus far. I think during the Speed cup you took a look at my radio, if it seems comfortable for you, go for it.
were u with lex?

if yeah then yes i was lookin at ur radio... i mean i like the KO but it looks like a transformer or sommehing.... i like it, but i think i will do the 3pk...it just looks esier to use IMO

and yeah thats what i mean, use my rx with the pro modual

id do fasst, IF i didnt already have spektrum.... i havent had any probs like LDP.. so i will stick to it..

so i think 3pk super radio only, and a spektrum pro modual and thats it.. and this WILL work correct? u guys know for shure that it will work with the super version, i havent seen a 3pk super version, idk if the band or whatever is different... but i want to know that someoen has a super with the same setup i want
Old 06-20-2007, 10:48 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

The Helios with the drop-down and angled steering wheel option is what sold me. I use every bit of the angle to hold the radio close to my body for optimum ergonomics (wrists straighter) and comfort.

Helios, angled wheel option and Spektrum Pro...Doesn't get any better IMO.
Old 06-21-2007, 06:06 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by BlackedOutREVO
were u with lex?

if yeah then yes i was lookin at ur radio... i mean i like the KO but it looks like a transformer or sommehing.... i like it, but i think i will do the 3pk...it just looks esier to use IMO

and yeah thats what i mean, use my rx with the pro modual

id do fasst, IF i didnt already have spektrum.... i havent had any probs like LDP.. so i will stick to it..

so i think 3pk super radio only, and a spektrum pro modual and thats it.. and this WILL work correct? u guys know for shure that it will work with the super version, i havent seen a 3pk super version, idk if the band or whatever is different... but i want to know that someoen has a super with the same setup i want

Trying not to recommend a Nomadio React because it wasn't on your list, but it will control your Spektrum receivers too... Food for thought....
Old 06-21-2007, 06:47 AM
Tech Regular

Default new radios, what to get them going?

blackedoutrevo

The 3PKS (super) and spektrum pro module is the exact setup that I have her are some pics of it. It will work without a doubt. The 3rd pic is the module cover that will need to be shaved on the inside with your dremmel. The spektrum module is slightly taller than the futaba module. A replacement cover is like $7-8, I'm pretty anal about my stuff so I looked into this right away. If I sell the radio the module will go wth it so this is how it will need to be unless buyer want to go back to futaba module.

Last edited by ldp787; 11-07-2007 at 06:44 AM.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:20 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by ldp787
blackedoutrevo

The 3PKS (super) and spektrum pro module is the exact setup that I have her are some pics of it. It will work without a doubt. The 3rd pic is the module cover that will need to be shaved on the inside with your dremmel. The spektrum module is slightly taller than the futaba module. A replacement cover is like $7-8, I'm pretty anal about my stuff so I looked into this right away. If I sell the radio the module will go wth it so this is how it will need to be unless buyer want to go back to futaba module.
alright, so it is different, but if its modable to work thats fine with me, i have a dremel, and a bunch of sand paper if i want to by hand... does that wheel thing let u angle the wheel? not just drop down but angle also? or is there something i can buy to do that? and thanks for the pics! thanks very much! that really helped

Originally Posted by vtl1180ny
Trying not to recommend a Nomadio React because it wasn't on your list, but it will control your Spektrum receivers too... Food for thought....

i dont want a nomadio, i dont like how the react feels for me

Originally Posted by Still Bill
The Helios with the drop-down and angled steering wheel option is what sold me. I use every bit of the angle to hold the radio close to my body for optimum ergonomics (wrists straighter) and comfort.

Helios, angled wheel option and Spektrum Pro...Doesn't get any better IMO.
yeah thats true, i did like that! alot.. just mre things to keep me looking lol.. i will make my desision soon enuff... but idk yet.. im still really thinking

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.