R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   new radios, what to get them going? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/169052-new-radios-what-get-them-going.html)

BlackedOutREVO 06-20-2007 11:45 AM

new radios, what to get them going?

ok guys i want a KO propo ex-10 helios, or a futaba 3pk super

now to run these guys i heard u have to run there reciver, but i want to do the spektrum moduals, i dont want to run the fasst in the 3pk

so how do i go about this?

and is it the same for the KO?

u cant just buy the radio only, and then buy the spektrum modual that works in it, and i use my spektrum rx i already have? and why?

HarshGuy 06-20-2007 12:01 PM

Not sure about the Futaba, but with the Helios you can use the spektrum recvr you already have, just need the Helios radio and Spektrum transmitter module. KO sells just the radio with no module at all so you could get that and the spektrum module and be good to go with the revr you already have.

BlackedOutREVO 06-20-2007 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by HarshGuy (Post 3416182)
Not sure about the Futaba, but with the Helios you can use the spektrum recvr you already have, just need the Helios radio and Spektrum transmitter module. KO sells just the radio with no module at all so you could get that and the spektrum module and be good to go with the revr you already have.

im glad u posted harsh, why do so many ppl take the KO and airtronics over the 3pk super, or 3pk?

billy siad just because there KO and airtronics, but i want to know why, not just because

and if the 3pk is that much more money i will do the KO, i know ur running the KO... is it better then the 3pk?

RussB 06-20-2007 12:13 PM

it's just a matter of time before JL is in here preaching about how futaba is far superior to everything else...

i still like my old school KO mars. it goes great with my mechanical speedo.

HarshGuy 06-20-2007 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by BlackedOutREVO (Post 3416187)
im glad u posted harsh, why do so many ppl take the KO and airtronics over the 3pk super, or 3pk?

billy siad just because there KO and airtronics, but i want to know why, not just because

and if the 3pk is that much more money i will do the KO, i know ur running the KO... is it better then the 3pk?

I have no idea on the others, when I upgraded from the Hitech 6 years ago I went with KO and have stayed with KO since then.

BlackedOutREVO 06-20-2007 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by HarshGuy (Post 3416202)
I have no idea on the others, when I upgraded from the Hitech 6 years ago I went with KO and have stayed with KO since then.

i guess ud say go KO then?

i know i saw 1 or 2 at the cup, and like a billion KO's and airtronics.... im just looking at all my options, but if everyones running KO i mite as well join the band wagon, theres a reason im shure.... i do know hara went to a 3pk super from KO

but i duno..

RussB 06-20-2007 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by HarshGuy (Post 3416202)

LMFAO. i totally forgot you had that POS lynx 3d. i swear only you and tk were the only people to get suckered into buying it. that's one more thing to make fun of you for.

HarshGuy 06-20-2007 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by BlackedOutREVO (Post 3416209)
i guess ud say go KO then?

i know i saw 1 or 2 at the cup, and like a billion KO's and airtronics.... im just looking at all my options, but if everyones running KO i mite as well join the band wagon, theres a reason im shure.... i do know hara went to a 3pk super from KO

but i duno..

So if you go with the Helios you can get the Radio only without a TX module or RX, part number is 88978 ...then you can get just the KO Spektrum module, part number is 1113 ....and you can use your existing Spektrum Recvr.

HarshGuy 06-20-2007 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by RussB (Post 3416211)
LMFAO. i totally forgot you had that POS lynx 3d. i swear only you and tk were the only people to get suckered into buying it. that's one more thing to make fun of you for.

Yea that radio was hella retarded :weird:

seaball 06-20-2007 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by RussB (Post 3416199)
it's just a matter of time before JL is in here preaching about how futaba is far superior to everything else...

well, i'm not jl, but i do think futaba is the best radio gear. in the last year or so, we saw baker, blackstock, hara, and schreven (among others) all switch to futaba. i was talking to travis, and he said that he got his from his local shop because there wasn't room on the team for him. that says allot to me.

personally, i think that the fasst system is hands down the best 2.4 spread spectum stuff out there. it's failure rate is minimal, and the response time/smoothness is incredible. futaba's stuff is polished, so to speak. from the bulletproof servos, to the fact that your car won't freak out if the radio isn't on. the 3pk is not the most ergonomic radio (that one goes to the helios) but aside from that, i believe it's the most sound product on all other levels.

ps - revo - have you considered the 3pm from futaba? that thing is sweet, and leaves some cash for extra receivers. what is your attraction to the spectrum brand receivers? just out of curiosity.

- ernesto vasquez

vtl1180ny 06-20-2007 01:42 PM

Why do you want to buy a radio from one company and put what equates to a patch from another??? The Futaba Fasst system is far superior to the Spektrum...

There's only one radio that can run other brand 2.4ghz receivers but I'm going to be good and not play salesman here...

BlackedOutREVO 06-20-2007 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by seaball (Post 3416320)
well, i'm not jl, but i do think futaba is the best radio gear. in the last year or so, we saw baker, blackstock, hara, and schreven (among others) all switch to futaba. i was talking to travis, and he said that he got his from his local shop because there wasn't room on the team for him. that says allot to me.

personally, i think that the fasst system is hands down the best 2.4 spread spectum stuff out there. it's failure rate is minimal, and the response time/smoothness is incredible. futaba's stuff is polished, so to speak. from the bulletproof servos, to the fact that your car won't freak out if the radio isn't on. the 3pk is not the most ergonomic radio (that one goes to the helios) but aside from that, i believe it's the most sound product on all other levels.

ps - revo - have you considered the 3pm from futaba? that thing is sweet, and leaves some cash for extra receivers. what is your attraction to the spectrum brand receivers? just out of curiosity.

- ernesto vasquez

thanks for the opinion
its just no one at my track uses the futaba radio stuff...and that makes me think that theres a reason....

im not on a buget really... just if the futaba needs what i heard its like a 100 bucks cheaper then doin the KO

and my atraction is i already have the rx... and again most ppl are using the spektrum.... just makes me think theres a reason, nut just because there die hard fans of the product..but i duno... i like the 3pk in all of the ways, screen, looks, i duno on features tho... BUT i do REALLY like the KO it looks sepndy, screens kinda small tho... so idk

and u guys tell me that the fasst is better, but theres nothing to back it up? LOL im not goin to make my descision on who says what works better, it will help, but i need to hear why

and btw, whats the deff from fasst to spektrum? is it dsm, or how does it work, i couldnt figure it out

seaball 06-20-2007 02:58 PM

i agree that these threads just become a series of opinions almost 100% of the time. use the following as your guide.

1) if it comes down to opinions, who's do you trust? and why? most locals play follow the leader, but that doesn't mean the leader was right. just someone to chase. however, running the same stuff can get you out of a jam, so you may not want to isolate yourself. but, qualify your sources. rctech is notorious for z-main morons with 55 sponsors in their signatures.

2) read the spectrum threads, and compare it to the futaba 3pk thread or whatever you are considering. it's all been discussed already. you can tally up the frequency and magnitude of problems with each. i have not read it, and i occasionally come across spectrum jokes in any of these threads. i have inferred from this that it's perhaps not that robust.

you have to weigh what features are most important to you. instead of asking "what's the best", start asking about the standout features of each radio. then, you get to decide which one is the best fit, instead of asking johnny toolbox to imagine which one will make you the happiest.

i have been exceedingly impressed with the latest futaba stuff. i didn't care about the 2.4 until i used it. i listed my reasoning, or what i felt is important in a radio system in my first post (reliability, speed, accuracy). i can get used to whatever is in my hands, but i can't get used to stuff that fails, or adds unpredictability.

lastly, if it were me, i wouldn't let the fact i already had a receiver dictate what i spent 4-5 times that on for a radio system. it's too important a piece of equipment to me.

best of luck to you. you best weapon is research.

CypressMidWest 06-20-2007 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by seaball (Post 3416555)
i agree that these threads just become a series of opinions almost 100% of the time. use the following as your guide.

1) if it comes down to opinions, who's do you trust? and why? most locals play follow the leader, but that doesn't mean the leader was right. just someone to chase. however, running the same stuff can get you out of a jam, so you may not want to isolate yourself. but, qualify your sources. rctech is notorious for z-main morons with 55 sponsors in their signatures.

2) read the spectrum threads, and compare it to the futaba 3pk thread or whatever you are considering. it's all been discussed already. you can tally up the frequency and magnitude of problems with each. i have not read it, and i occasionally come across spectrum jokes in any of these threads. i have inferred from this that it's perhaps not that robust.

you have to weigh what features are most important to you. instead of asking "what's the best", start asking about the standout features of each radio. then, you get to decide which one is the best fit, instead of asking johnny toolbox to imagine which one will make you the happiest.

i have been exceedingly impressed with the latest futaba stuff. i didn't care about the 2.4 until i used it. i listed my reasoning, or what i felt is important in a radio system in my first post (reliability, speed, accuracy). i can get used to whatever is in my hands, but i can't get used to stuff that fails, or adds unpredictability.

lastly, if it were me, i wouldn't let the fact i already had a receiver dictate what i spent 4-5 times that on for a radio system. it's too important a piece of equipment to me.

best of luck to you. you best weapon is research.

Good post Seaball, well thought out and very eloquent.

The best advice I can give is this, find a hobbystore that has each transmitter in stock, then look at them, hold them, turn them on and move through the programming. Whichever is more comfortable to you is the one you should choose. Once you've narrowed it down to the Helios/JR Z-1(they're the same radio) and the 3pk it really doesn't matter which one you choose, they are both highly competent tools that will serve you well. I personally have been a KO guy for 15 or so years, but I know a few folks that are die-hard Futaba fans as well.

If you're that hung up on using the Spektrum RX you already have, you may want to take a look at their new high end system also. I can't remember what it's called, but it may suit your needs.

CypressMidWest 06-20-2007 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by vtl1180ny (Post 3416366)
There's only one radio that can run other brand 2.4ghz receivers but I'm going to be good and not play salesman here...

It's plenty obvious from your signature.