Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
What is the best way to break in a new engine. >

What is the best way to break in a new engine.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the best way to break in a new engine.

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 07:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)
Default What is the best way to break in a new engine.

I tried breaking in a new motor. Its a .18 SH engine. I ran about four tanks of fuel without using any throttle so the engine was just idling I don't have a temp gun I guess I should get one but now when I try to run it and give it a little throttle it just stalls and if I touch the head its a little hot. Did I damage the motor and how can I tell. What is the best way to break in a new motor. I had a book with my 1/8 buggy that showed me step by step how to break in a motor and it work for my 1/8 buggy but that was a long long time ago don't have the book anymore and I don't quite know how to break in a new motor please help.
Old 06-16-2013, 07:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

http://www.rctech.net/forum/offroad-...eak-bible.html
Old 06-16-2013, 07:41 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Heat cycles with piston at bottom dead center for cool down. Expect it to take a gallon to hold a tune. By which time the front bearing will be leaking. You have been doing this for at least 3 years and you don't know this?
Old 06-17-2013, 04:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Here is the long story. I was so pissed off and frustrated with my buggy I was breaking it in and after two tanks I was doing figure eights after two tanks I went 3/4 throttle and the buggy just died I was so pissed. First I took it to my LHS the mechanic and I use the term loosely told me my engine is toast I told him its not even broken in. Its a VX16 motor not the best motors but I didn't even break it in so I had an SH18 motor laying around put the carb form the vx16 motor on it and I installed that into the buggy after a few tanks I wanted to run the buggy same thing the motor just died. I was really pissed at this time but me being the guy that does not give up I had another carb laying around installed that and bingo the VX16 and SH18 motor run like a charm. I can't believe that it was the carb and the mechanic at the LHS said it was the motor. I can now run the .16 motor and not die on me. I guess the carb was really cheap it was half plastic.