3. Me
4. Kevin Cole
5. Anthony Fung
6. Henry Szeto
7. Alex Lau
8. Timmie Harrington
9. Orlando Sherman
10. Sunny Lee
WOW! Oliver great job as well! (TB03???)

Great showing by everyone. Timmie glad to see you in the "A"! I know you said you were struggling a bit.

TCS is such an awesome series. Congrats to all the winners and those who just plainly had a good time.

Jimmy Wright
Old 09-01-2009, 04:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Let me just chime in here really quick..

I seriously wish I could have been there during the whole weekend for you guys. I appologize. I would have loved to help you all dial in your cars.

Two words about weight bias in the chassis....... Tweak Station!

I'm going to pass on a lttile info. (I know.....NOW you tell us...)

A very wise and knowledgable ex world champion once told me about setting up a lipo car "As long as the front to rear bias is greater than 50/50 up to 55/45 the car can be tweaked side to side with suspension tuning on a tweak board and dialed in so that the off-balance is made to handle well" Further stating that "Light weight is still better than perfect balance side to side as long as you can dial in the tweak."

Personally, after he tweaked my car on a tweak station, I threw away my scales. (Except for one)

Jimmy Wright
Old 09-01-2009, 07:09 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Timmie, thanks for the diff again. It made a world of difference. I went from bottom of the B to top of the B . I'll aim a little higher next year.

Speaking of weight, my car was at 1499g. Time to put it on a diet since rcgt and TCS both are at 1400g now. Do you guys notice a difference in handling from a regular to a light weight body?
Old 09-01-2009, 07:34 PM
tns
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Racecrafter
Let me just chime in here really quick..

A very wise and knowledgable ex world champion once told me about setting up a lipo car "As long as the front to rear bias is greater than 50/50 up to 55/45 the car can be tweaked side to side with suspension tuning on a tweak board and dialed in so that the off-balance is made to handle well" Further stating that "Light weight is still better than perfect balance side to side as long as you can dial in the tweak."

Personally, after he tweaked my car on a tweak station, I threw away my scales. (Except for one)

Jimmy Wright
Looks like you guys had a fun weekend! Congrats to all you guys have done well in the competition

Hmmm...to translate for us newbies, what the wise ex-world champ was saying is that so long as the car is well balanced front to back, left to right balance is not that critical as we could still tweak the car to make it handle well. Yes?

Now to find out what "tweaking" a car actually entails...

The rainy season seems to have started in earnest here in Singapore. Haven't had a track day for a couple of weeks already as it just seems to pour each time I have the time to visit the local track

I am sooo dying to go...
Old 09-01-2009, 08:02 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by J.Dy
Timmie, thanks for the diff again. It made a world of difference. I went from bottom of the B to top of the B . I'll aim a little higher next year.

Speaking of weight, my car was at 1499g. Time to put it on a diet since rcgt and TCS both are at 1400g now. Do you guys notice a difference in handling from a regular to a light weight body?
hehe no problem Glad it sped you up. I notice a difference, and you want to try to keep the weight low not up high. Man, after what Jimmy said I'm going to go buy a tweak station! I got to try this out
Old 09-01-2009, 08:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Smile 03R vs 05V2 ?

Originally Posted by Timmie
hehe no problem Glad it sped you up. I notice a difference, and you want to try to keep the weight low not up high. Man, after what Jimmy said I'm going to go buy a tweak station! I got to try this out
What gearing do you run using the TB03 at the Tamiya track vs the TA05. I heard that you can gear them up because of the direct drive is more forgiving? I myself ran the TA05, been debating on whether to get the new TA05 V2 or the TB03R when it comes out. I wished I was the racer who won TB03 with 90% hopups in the raffle, that would have solved that problem.
Hey Chris,
Thanks again for the custom paint on my Ebro and Timmy's NSX. Your the man! Painting his body while your trying to get your car ready for race day was awesome. You couldn't tell it was just a spray can paint job, you got skills dude! WE OWE YOU BIGTIME!
Max
Old 09-01-2009, 08:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Racecrafter
WOW! Oliver great job as well! (TB03???)

Great showing by everyone. Timmie glad to see you in the "A"! I know you said you were struggling a bit.

TCS is such an awesome series. Congrats to all the winners and those who just plainly had a good time.

Jimmy Wright

Thanks, Jimmie. My TB03 was really good but I think I over raced it. It has still has trouble tracking straight and a few other minor issues but it was still good. Actually, Chris was having trouble with his car and I said try mine and he liked it. I thought he was going to race mine but he deceided to copy the setup instead. We won't go into what happened after that (sorry Chris ) . I decided to run the TA05 instead mainly because I was a little more consistent with it. I was trying to get my new tb03 built before NATS but just ran out of time. I'm going to rebuild my old car this week to start testing for next season
Old 09-01-2009, 08:57 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by maxepower
What gearing do you run using the TB03 at the Tamiya track vs the TA05. I heard that you can gear them up because of the direct drive is more forgiving? I myself ran the TA05, been debating on whether to get the new TA05 V2 or the TB03R when it comes out. I wished I was the racer who won TB03 with 90% hopups in the raffle, that would have solved that problem.
Hey Chris,
Thanks again for the custom paint on my Ebro and Timmy's NSX. Your the man! Painting his body while your trying to get your car ready for race day was awesome. You couldn't tell it was just a spray can paint job, you got skills dude! WE OWE YOU BIGTIME!
Max
Hi Max,

well the gearing I was using is way different than others there I'm sure. But running my 416 here locally v.s. my TB, my motor always runs a little cooler in the TB. Same motor, same speed controller and same FDR. Usually a 5-10 deg difference.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:45 PM
Tech Elite

Jon,

It was hard to tell until I made some changes to one of the bodies I was testing. The lighter weight made a noticable change for the better.

Jimmy W
Old 09-01-2009, 09:59 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by tns
Looks like you guys had a fun weekend! Congrats to all you guys have done well in the competition

Hmmm...to translate for us newbies, what the wise ex-world champ was saying is that so long as the car is well balanced front to back, left to right balance is not that critical as we could still tweak the car to make it handle well. Yes?

Now to find out what "tweaking" a car actually entails...

The rainy season seems to have started in earnest here in Singapore. Haven't had a track day for a couple of weeks already as it just seems to pour each time I have the time to visit the local track

I am sooo dying to go...
Sorry to hear about your rain outs!

"Tweaking" a car entails using a tweak board or tweak station such as M.I.P. makes. These tools allow you to balance out the chassis by adjusting the shock spring preload.

Set droop, then set ride height. Afterward set the "Tweak" and then recheck your ride height to make sure it didn't change too much. If you changed anything, you must recheck and reset tweak.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:59 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DOTMAN
Thanks, Jimmie. My TB03 was really good but I think I over raced it. It has still has trouble tracking straight and a few other minor issues but it was still good. Actually, Chris was having trouble with his car and I said try mine and he liked it. I thought he was going to race mine but he deceided to copy the setup instead. We won't go into what happened after that (sorry Chris ) . I decided to run the TA05 instead mainly because I was a little more consistent with it. I was trying to get my new tb03 built before NATS but just ran out of time. I'm going to rebuild my old car this week to start testing for next season
just imagine if my car wasnt loose... the nut behind the wheel had a few screws loose though.

Originally Posted by maxepower
Hey Chris,
Max
Max, no problem. glad i could help somehow. but i promise you i could have done a WAY better paint scheme (plus sticker job) if i had my vinyl cutter. next time the TB-03 is a great car... you might like it. there definitely is an acceleration advantage. watch the GT2 A3 main you'll know what i mean.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:01 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

all things remaining the same.. the lighter body was quicker in left to right transitions (the back chicane and the esses).

i only run the LW stuff in qualifying and the mains. i use the regular weight during practice since the LW isnt as durable.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (83%+)

Hey guys, I just put together my TB-03D. WIthout the electronics. It's just a chassis ready chassis.

I looked how on how to install the motor and it seems you have to remove the whole motor mount to install the motor which means I have to take it apart after putting it together.

On my Yokomo MR4TC SD CM which looks extremely similar(Almost the same thing) I don't have to rip out everything to install the motor.

Can you install the motor while leaving in the mount?

I hope so, if not WHY? WHy did they design it like that? WHY???
Old 09-01-2009, 11:43 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by DOTMAN
for the reason you just mentioned...I would think the ta05 would have it worse but at least the weight balance issue would be about the same at least for both cars. I know both my car had the same balance issue. Motor, ESC, servo, and receiver on one side. Lightweight lipo on the other. Both cars were designed to run with a Nickel Metal stick pack (about 440 grams) not a 190 gram lipo so yeah there are going to be balance problems. Tub cars do seem to handle the imbalance better pretty well though. I was surprised at how well the car handled given the weight disparity
Is it legal in a race to put the receiver or esc on top of the battery? I did this in my ta05 drifter and have to add only 10g on the battery side to balance.

It would raise the CG a little but in the stock instructions, it says to put the receiver on top of the servo anyway. Btw my battery is Orion 3200mah carbon edition.

Last edited by hermanchauw; 09-01-2009 at 11:54 PM.
Old 09-02-2009, 03:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

congrats to all who showed what the tb03 can do! Tamiya PowerBAM!!!

I personally do not run the LT. wt. bodies. I have tried them and they fall apart too easily. A few hits and they usally split in the front bumper area. I use the std. bodies and get much longer life out of them. I also do as much as I can to the standard bodies to lighten them up. EX: use the tamiya light wt. rear wing set and leave heavy add on parts off like I did on my arta. (see pics two pages back.) I also use small aluminum body clips on the mirrors and wing mount instead of the heavy steel ones
The weight of my arta is now 132 grams
Anyone have any other bodies to weigh to compare??
My Tamiya 911 PD gt is 157 g and it is a std body too.(Steel screws holding wing on) My skyline was a light wt set and it weighs in at 129 g . Only lasted about 7 runs and needed major shoo goo work. Now retired.
Hope this helps.
GO TB-03

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.