Wiki Posts
Search

Running different EBuggy and Nitro buggy

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2019, 06:36 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Running different EBuggy and Nitro buggy

Does anyone that runs 1/8 EBuggy and Nitro buggy run two different platforms? I have been racing a HB E817 V2 and I have no complaints about it. I need to upgrade my nitro and while I would like to get the HB D819 I can get a better deal on a AE RC8B3.1. I know parts compatibility is a plus for running the same brand but I rarely break parts. I got back into the hobby in February after an 8 year break and I have already upgraded 3 platforms. I'm trying to save money wherever I can and this is the last one I need. I bought the other 3 rollers used but in new or almost new condition and I stupidly missed on a couple of deals on a D819.
Old 07-26-2019, 06:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I run a nitro MBX7R and an electric MBX6. For me it can be a struggle switching back and forth between them from race to race because of how differently they drive. They're both tanks so parts support isn't a worry but it would be nice to run one platform as that would ease chassis tuning.
Old 07-26-2019, 11:37 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 20 (95%+)

If you are a hobbyist and are more interested in the pure fun aspects of rc like tinkering, hop ups, having the latest stuff etc then by all means.

If you want to race competitively then I wouldn’t recommend it because
parts - that’s obvious
setup - you’ll find adjustments that work on one and not on the other. how is that going to pan out on race day
driving - c hub vs pbs, you can drive both but you’ll be adjusting every time

have you driven a well setup rc8?

Side note: one of my good friends uses the same front/rear ends between his nitro and e buggy at big events. Both handle very similar
Old 07-28-2019, 05:13 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Dillon71
If you are a hobbyist and are more interested in the pure fun aspects of rc like tinkering, hop ups, having the latest stuff etc then by all means.

If you want to race competitively then I wouldn’t recommend it because
parts - that’s obvious
setup - you’ll find adjustments that work on one and not on the other. how is that going to pan out on race day
driving - c hub vs pbs, you can drive both but you’ll be adjusting every time

have you driven a well setup rc8?

Side note: one of my good friends uses the same front/rear ends between his nitro and e buggy at big events. Both handle very similar
I totally agree with this statement.
Not saying that you can't drive different brands, but it's more of a hassle. If you have the 2 identical cars, you'll probably driven 2 setups that are very close to each other.
And if you do big races with controlled practice on news tracks, you have twice the tracktime to test setup adjustments to find a good setup on both cars.

If you're just club racing then it's less of an issue.
Old 07-28-2019, 10:08 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by morgoth
I totally agree with this statement.
Not saying that you can't drive different brands, but it's more of a hassle. If you have the 2 identical cars, you'll probably driven 2 setups that are very close to each other.
And if you do big races with controlled practice on news tracks, you have twice the tracktime to test setup adjustments to find a good setup on both cars.

If you're just club racing then it's less of an issue.
Thats kind of what I figured. I was wondering if it would be a hassle or not. I've been racing for years and I am a well above average racer but Ive always run the same platform. I am super cheap and part of the fun for me is trying to win while spending less than everyone else. I like finding the deals out there. After I posted this I finally found a new D819 for a price I can live with. Thanks for the input!