Wiki Posts
Search

Fuel Filter

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 03:02 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Fuel Filter

can a fuel filter cause a truck running sluggish and is it really worth having a fuel filter
Old 04-15-2009, 03:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by salabarria
can a fuel filter cause a truck running sluggish and is it really worth having a fuel filter
Sure, if the filter is clogged and not allowing the fuel to flow through properly. It's only worth it if your tank doesn't have a filter built in or you feel strongly about filtering out any and all impurities before they hit your mill. If you think it will prolong the life of your engine then it's a good call. Others run hard and figure they'll have or want to replace the engine relatively soon anyway. I run a filter (or two) because I like the little extra fuel capacity.
Old 04-15-2009, 03:39 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Unless your tank doesn't have a filter built into it throw the inline filter away. All they do is cause air leaks. You really don't need to filter fuel twice.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:20 PM
Tech Initiate

man i put one on my savage X 4.6 and ran it after that it started running like crap so i posted on this fourm asking for help and called HPI asking for advise and was told that they can cause problems
Old 04-15-2009, 08:32 PM
Tech Apprentice

mine brand new out the package caused my car to bog and run like shit then i took it off and back to running great it went
Old 04-15-2009, 08:39 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RACE MAN
mine brand new out the package caused my car to bog and run like shit then i took it off and back to running great it went
never had a problem with kyosho filters

you must be careful with not using a screen fuel flilter and using a tank that has a stone filter built in . little pieces of the hard stone will plug your carb and if they get through the carb , oh buddy , thats not good . it is adviseable to have an inline screen filter (a quality one)
Old 04-15-2009, 08:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by houston

you must be careful with not using a screen fuel flilter and using a tank that has a stone filter built in . little pieces of the hard stone will plug your carb and if they get through the carb , oh buddy , thats not good . it is adviseable to have an inline screen filter (a quality one)
Would you consider the Losi filter a "quality filter?"
Old 04-15-2009, 08:54 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by houston

since then ive been given about 3 or four from diff people still brand new just because they didnt want them or i helped them and they insisted on giving me somthin,

i have the screen ones and ill prolly run one on my new engine when i get it but till then im not worried,

but thank you for the advice =]]
Old 04-15-2009, 08:58 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Chris__RC
Would you consider the Losi filter a "quality filter?"
i am refering to outboard screen filters chris . the losi intank filter is pretty good but the metal filter usually comes off the brass tube that the fuel line hooks up to
Old 04-15-2009, 09:11 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I've been running them for 25 years give or take. They do work...and I would say that neglected they can leak or become plugged and give problems.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

if you have a tank with a filter in it then i would just go with a inline screen filter and you should be fine
Old 04-15-2009, 09:40 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

How do you know if you have a air leak?