Wiki Posts
Search

battery life

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 01:15 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default battery life

hey everyone I'm new to rc I recently got a rustler I was just wondering what is normal for runtime on batteries I've got a couple 3800 mah and anyone that knows the run time there getting on different batteries I would like to hear what your getting and the mah and brand of the batteries because I am looking at getting more .....

Last edited by spud143; 04-09-2008 at 01:39 PM.
Old 04-09-2008, 03:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Run time depends on many things. Where are you driving, on what surface, are you racing, what motor are you using?

Just as an educated guess.....

If everything is stock, and your just driving it in front of your house I would think that you should be in the 15min range.
Old 04-09-2008, 03:20 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by spud143
hey everyone I'm new to rc I recently got a rustler I was just wondering what is normal for runtime on batteries I've got a couple 3800 mah and anyone that knows the run time there getting on different batteries I would like to hear what your getting and the mah and brand of the batteries because I am looking at getting more .....
This is a tough question for anyone to answer. It all depends on your motor and what your battery is rated for. In general,

1. the higher the mah, the longer the runtime.
2. the lower you charge at in amps, the longer the runtime. However, you might not get that last 5% of speed and it will take longer to charge
3. Brushless motors will increase runtime significantly if compared to a comparable output brushed motor
4. Faster motor = less runtime, slower motor = more runtime

Of course there may be a few exceptions to the above, but most of the time those rules will hold.

For example, if you have 3800mah batteries and charge at 5 amps, run a brushed stock motor, you might get 15-20 minutes of runtime. With a brushless stock motor, you might get 20-25 minutes. Those are just guesses since I don't know your equipment.

Lastly, if you want longer runtime, get higher mah batteries and a brushless motor. Keep in mind that if you are running brushed motors, longer runtime is not necessarily good. You don't want to overheat the motor; so keep an eye on temps.
Old 04-09-2008, 03:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I'm getting around 15 minutes run time on 12 cell 3700 mah. They are gp cells which are decent. Run them and you tell us what time to expect!
Old 04-09-2008, 04:21 PM
Tech Adept

well I have a rustler with the stock 20 turn but I am not getting near 15-20 minutes runtime I might be getting 5-7 I though it was batteries at first I have a mega 2 charger running on gravel or even hard surfaces don't notice a big difference from one to the other I'm thinking maybe not getting full charge I don't know!!
Old 04-09-2008, 08:24 PM
Tech Elite

If your batteries are older they may need replacing. I am not familar with your charger. Is it a peak charger or one of the older style with a 15 minute timer?
Old 04-09-2008, 08:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

3800 mah batteries take 30 or so minutes to charge. I charge at 3 amps with a triton and it's a good half hour charge. I can also monitor voltage and mah with it. Maybe try a buddies charger or the hobby shop may try and charge them to see if all you need is a newer charger.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:21 PM
Tech Adept

it's the older kind 15 minutes then it goes to trickle charge
Old 04-10-2008, 07:54 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Trickle damages nimh cells, that charger is hardly adequate any more.

you need a peak charger.
Old 04-10-2008, 08:14 AM
Tech Master

it will be worth it , in the long run , to wait and get a good charger , peak detection and lipo capable , and theres some great chargers in the 100 dollar range that will serve you for a long time , one of the biggest expences in rc is up grading something that works but no longer serves your needs , just my 2 cents , ray
Old 04-10-2008, 08:50 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

well it depends on how many charges and discharges u do. Obviously the more u do the shorter life. You will get about 20 cycles out like lets say a 38 or 4200 pack.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:18 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by BuggyKing
well it depends on how many charges and discharges u do. Obviously the more u do the shorter life. You will get about 20 cycles out like lets say a 38 or 4200 pack.

should get at least double that.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:48 AM
Tech Elite

Your only geting about half the charge in those batteries with that charger, you need to buy a peak charger for the size batteries that you have.
Old 04-10-2008, 05:26 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i have 3300's that still have the punch that they had when new. novak millinium charger. deans bulbs trinity tray. and i ran them each week of racing and practice till i got my 4200;s. If your racing serious and can afford it and or sponsored . you can buy new batteries all the time. if not you have to care for them. my guess is you run them and charge them right back up with no cool down time or also dont discharge them and let them cool before recharging. And no one else has asked are them stick pack or side by side. stick packs cannot be trayed (which equilizes each cell) so they take a better charge and discharge. in other words each cell will have different voltages after use before charging which also would prevent them from taking a full charge.
Old 04-10-2008, 06:52 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by kstarr
i have 3300's that still have the punch that they had when new. novak millinium charger. deans bulbs trinity tray. and i ran them each week of racing and practice till i got my 4200;s. If your racing serious and can afford it and or sponsored . you can buy new batteries all the time. if not you have to care for them. my guess is you run them and charge them right back up with no cool down time or also dont discharge them and let them cool before recharging. And no one else has asked are them stick pack or side by side. stick packs cannot be trayed (which equilizes each cell) so they take a better charge and discharge. in other words each cell will have different voltages after use before charging which also would prevent them from taking a full charge.
Yea i used to use my nimh's once per day and once in a blue i would use a pack twice if it was heavy practice. I used spintec battery manager on them once a week.