Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Project xx-24

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 01:53 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by stu541
nice work. Can you not buy the old xx slider conversion anymore. I used to always run those on my xx-4. you can buy the truck ones and cut them down to the length needed. they telescope in and out and are super smooth and light. the best for rough outdoor tracks.

losi part # a-3025,a-3026 slider shafts for LXT
and a-3095 (molded outdrives)

I have the sliders (NOS) but not the outdrives.
Old 06-29-2012, 02:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

very very nice...
Old 06-29-2012, 08:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Thats pretty cool, I like the rear shock tower mod. If I break mine I am goign to try going your route with the 22's
Old 07-27-2012, 11:42 AM
Tech Regular

I have been getting a few things done on the weekends because I don't have any homework!!!! Here are a few shots of my progress.

I got the servo mount filed flat so the battery will fit. I will be using the TLR shorty pack from my 22. The next thing I've got to do is get rid of that rib on the chassis to get the battery closer to the center line.

Here are some pics of the front end. I got the turnbuckle made up for the for the steering and it clears the motor nicely at full lock.

Just some more random pictures of awesomeness and pics of the rear end at ride height.

Here is my bat cave! I finally cleaned it up and had to show it off. The wall with the cars on it is all of my projects including the Theory Buggy that I am building from scratch. Here is the link, hopefully I will get some work done on it soon, I only have a couple of weeks left in my degree program!

http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-of...ory-build.html
Old 07-28-2012, 06:18 PM
ruf
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Nice work. What motor clamp is that?

Only thing I'd wonder about is the switch to buggy length rear shocks. I think part of the special sauce of the XX4 is the truck length rear shocks.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:03 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by ruf

Only thing I'd wonder about is the switch to buggy length rear shocks. I think part of the special sauce of the XX4 is the truck length rear shocks.
That is a NOS non graphite motor clamp from Losi.

The beauty of the design of the rear shock tower is that I can change to the truck rear shocks if I want to. But I chose the buggy shocks to keep the CG low. Low CG is one of the main concepts of this build.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:10 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by NitrousBIG

Nice out-of-the-box thinking, I like it But I'm afraid that your revised steering geometry would disturb the ackerman by adding lots of it (outside wheel barely turning)...

Last edited by Gayosaka; 07-30-2012 at 03:11 PM. Reason: Wrong pic!
Old 07-30-2012, 03:53 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ruf

Actually if I remember correctly the xx4 rear shocks are in between the truck and buggy rears? Somebody correct me on this?

And yes it probably is part of the sauce, the xx4 is truly something special!

What do you guys think of a shaft drive version of a xx4 ?
Old 07-30-2012, 03:56 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Gayosaka
Nice out-of-the-box thinking, I like it But I'm afraid that your revised steering geometry would disturb the ackerman by adding lots of it (outside wheel barely turning)...
The ackerman is looks distorted in that picture. It is almost the same as the factory.
But, I would like to find some alu knuckles and modify them to test different ackerman settings. If anyone knows about alu knuckles let me know.

Urika....... I just had an idea, if I get a chance this weekend i'll give it a try and post some pics.

Last edited by NitrousBIG; 07-30-2012 at 04:07 PM.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:43 PM
ruf
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Not sure why your arms/driveshafts are causing you such trouble. The XX4 and XXX4 should share the same arms as the XXX, CR, etc. I'm using the EA3 CR arms, CR hub carriers with MIP CVDs no issues?

XX4 uses truck 1.2" rear shocks. They are limited slightly, but a lot longer than the 2WD 0.9" shock. The XXX4 uses 1.2" bodies with 1.0" shafts out back.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:07 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by ruf
Not sure why your arms/driveshafts are causing you such trouble. The XX4 and XXX4 should share the same arms as the XXX, CR, etc. I'm using the EA3 CR arms, CR hub carriers with MIP CVDs no issues?

XX4 uses truck 1.2" rear shocks. They are limited slightly, but a lot longer than the 2WD 0.9" shock. The XXX4 uses 1.2" bodies with 1.0" shafts out back.
I put together a combination of parts to get as close to the geometry of the 22 as possible (I am within a few MM). The CR arms are too short for what I am thinking, I want to keep the angular change in the arms to a minimum while maintaining maximum travel. I also didn't want to use CVD axles because the car is being designed for rough tracks, so I am using the universal style you see in the pictures. I wasn't able to find a drive shaft that was the right length for what I am doing.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:36 PM
Tech Regular

Finally found some time to get this project to the point where I can run it! Everything came together well in the end and it was AWSOME on the track. I couldn't believe how well it handled considering how much I changed and that I guessed on the setup. Testing ended early when I broke the inner camber mount on the front shock tower, if you look at the pics you can see why it broke. I added shims to space out the camber link to clear the shocks. I need to figure out a new front tower or strengthen the existing one.

Here are some pics.

This is the removable radio tray. Five screws all of the electronics are out of the car, including the motor.

Here are the electronics in the car. At this point the car was fully mocked up and just needed to be taken apart for thread lock and final check for any binding.

At this point I blew the car apart and performed all the finishing touches.

I have made a simple battery hold down but no pics yet.

There were some people concerned about the geometry changes I made to the steering. These pics show how the ackerman turned out,

Here is the body I chose, its the ProLine 2012 Bulldog body for the B44.1 it takes a bunch of cutting and trimming to make it fit but it fits very nice. I did screw up on the front and cut off the front body mount. So, I made a mount and bolted it to the body.

The servo linkage just pokes out the front vent hole in the body.... Perfect! Like it was designed for the car.

Once I get the front tower figured out and the rear tower mount finished I will go back to the track and see about getting some video.
Old 09-05-2012, 02:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Old 09-05-2012, 05:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Awesome work!
Old 09-05-2012, 05:45 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Not bad at all man...if I may though

You should re-solder the bullets for the battery at a 90 degree angle so they sit more lo-profile. If makes for a cleaner looking install

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.