Project xx-24

Old 05-19-2012, 08:48 PM
Tech Regular

Default Project Losi XX-44

A few years ago I acquired a xxx-4 and started to mess around with it and came up with a plan to fix the problem of high diff out drives and then correct the geometry problems that plague the car on rough tracks. But I knew the car would be under the knife for a while and wanted something else to race while doing all of the machining.

I was thinking of getting another xxx-4 but decided to diversify started looking for a xx4 While searching for a good used car I discovered most of the parts I would need at my LHS, which my parents happen to own. Once I started assembling the pieces I couldn't leave well enough alone and started to modify.

I like the suspension setup on the 22 (I have one of these too) and noticed the two cars share a lot of the same geometry. So I started to graft on select parts from the 22 and other cars.

I installed the 22 front arms and caster blocks with the xxx-4 steering blocks. Then I got to work getting the shocks on the back side of the arm. They just fit! But it was a few hours of screwing around on the milling machine to get it to fit.

The thing I hate most about electric cars is the electronics double sided taped to chassis. This makes cleaning impossible. I also never liked the steering servo sanding up in the car. So I cut a plate mounted the servo, esc and rx then this whole assembly gets bolted to the chassis.

Then for the back I didn't want to use the 22 arms because the mounting would require making new mounts. The rear arms off the xxx-4 just happen to be exactly the same length as the 22 rear arms. So I paired this with the CR hubs which are almost exactly the same as the 22 rear hubs. Then I made the standoffs and the camber plate/shock tower mount. Then I mounted the 22 mid engine rear tower to the plate. These parts aren't done yet I am still making adjustments and finishing the pieces.

The last picture illustrates my problem. My CV's off my xxx-4 are too short. Does anyone know of any CV's that are a bit longer that might work with this combination?

Last edited by NitrousBIG; 08-22-2012 at 03:54 PM.
Old 05-20-2012, 03:59 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

You can use an X-Factory #5661 Axle which is about 2mm longer than stock and should fix your problem. You can also use a losi BK2 axle, but that may push the CVD into the out drive too much since it's about 4mm longer than stick.
Old 05-20-2012, 06:51 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Nice work! Bk2 axles should be perfect with those bones to run the proper droop in the car.
Old 05-20-2012, 07:38 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 105 (100%+)

Looks awesome!
Old 05-20-2012, 07:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 549 (100%+)

Love the originality and design.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

sweet. looking awesome.

does that rear bumper house the suspension pins? or do the pins come up to the bumper just? you should try making a stronger piece out of carbon fibre, or aluminum. sliding it onto the pins. it'll strengthen the rear suspension.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:08 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by littlevette View Post
sweet. looking awesome.

does that rear bumper house the suspension pins? or do the pins come up to the bumper just? you should try making a stronger piece out of carbon fibre, or aluminum. sliding it onto the pins. it'll strengthen the rear suspension.
Yes the bumper does prevent the pins from coming out. And I have looked at that and thought about creating a stiffener for across there. I was just looking and it seems that the kit came with one. When the car is closer to completion I will look at making one.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

Looks sick!
Old 06-03-2012, 08:24 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 198 (100%+)
Thumbs up WOW

NICE IDEAS... TY FOR POSTING THE PICS. GOODLUCK!
Old 06-03-2012, 09:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (93%+)

shorty pack looks like it would fit perfectly in that open space
Old 06-04-2012, 03:11 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Jake S View Post
shorty pack looks like it would fit perfectly in that open space
That's the plan. I am just using the single cell pack for mock up, I had the Losi shorty pack in the car but the chassis needs to be milled out a bit to make it fit.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:10 AM
Tech Regular

Thumbs up

I got in the parts that people suggested, the BK2 drive shafts, but they are still too short and to get the dog bone end even close I have to space the universal end in. I don't like that idea because it gives the universal leverage on the knuckle at extreme drive shaft angles. Since this car is being designed as a rough track car I want to get the universal as close to inline with the upper and lower pivot as I can. This will reduce any influence torque on the universal will have on suspension movement. I have an idea to lengthen the drive shaft by making a spacer, this will put the pivot points in the drive shaft where I want them.

I have a week off from school so I will be working on this today and will hopefully have some pics up tonight.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:23 PM
Tech Regular

Man was it ever nice to do something other than homework! As promised here are some pics of my lengthened drive shafts.

The spacing looks just about perfect. I have to get everything else finalized like the deck height for the shock tower mount then I can do the final test for clearance.

Here is the complete drive shaft.

This is the broken down assembly of the shaft.

Some close-ups of the drive shaft spacers.

These worked out better than I was hopping. They run true and are super tight. Now I just need to order the parts for the other side and finish the rest!

By the way does anyone know the part number for steel outdrives for the xx4 and xxx4?

Anyways enjoy!
Old 06-27-2012, 10:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Nice work!! Do like! Ps, I'd call it the "XX-44" just sayin'!

Old 06-28-2012, 08:24 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

nice work. Can you not buy the old xx slider conversion anymore. I used to always run those on my xx-4. you can buy the truck ones and cut them down to the length needed. they telescope in and out and are super smooth and light. the best for rough outdoor tracks.

losi part # a-3025,a-3026 slider shafts for LXT
and a-3095 (molded outdrives)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.