what kind of trouble are you having?
Old 10-09-2007, 06:59 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by more$thanbrains
what is the proper method for taping batteries in

i allways have trouble

thanks for help
For 12th scale or sedan? The same principals apply to both. I cut the tape so that it will overlap across the top fully. Slide the tape between the link with enough tape sticking out the top to go across the whole top of the assembled pack. Slide the other end of the tape between the link and chassis, and pull tight. At this point, I usually will push the tape back so that the tweak plate will hold the ends of the tape out of the way. Install the battery pack. Pushing the pack down into the chassis nice and tight, pull one side of the tape over the top of the pack, keeping the tape as tight as you can without bending the chassis, then repeat for the other side.

Always, leave no slack in the tape. If you can move your pack around, pull the tape loose and re-tighten. There are three things that will lead to broken tape; non-rounded edges on the chassis that the tape passes over, and loose tape. The other is an impossibly heavy collision, which will usually do more damage to a chassis than just launching a battery pack. By taking the slack completely out of the tape, the battery pack cannot gain momentum to break the tape, and the tape will spread the load of the impact across the whole width of the tape, not just a single edge, which will start a tear in the tape.

I always use Speed Merchant's black strapping tape (smr5024). Not only is it strong, I love the fact that it's black.
Old 10-09-2007, 07:02 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

what is the proper method for taping batteries in

i allways have trouble

thanks for help
Not sure if there is a special technique. It really comes down to the tape you are using. The better the tape the better it will hold. I use this tape...

http://nexusracing.net/product_info....12167fbc7e845f
Old 10-09-2007, 08:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

http://www.speedtechrc.com/store/ebp...nid=327&id=835

Thats the stuff i use for my 007, i lay out a long piece at the start of the night. I over lap the peice, after the first run i add a second strip accross the top of the pack the main strip stays on the chassis for the night i just re-use or add new strip acrross the top between runs, for the main. Cells never move
Old 10-09-2007, 09:15 AM
Tech Fanatic

No technique really, just make sure that the tape under the car is flat, and that the tape on top of the cells is secure.

Only the piece of tape that goes from the chassis slot, to the top of the end cell/s, is doing any work, the rest is just decoration. There is no need to cross the tape on top of the cells (as the pack is solid by virtue of the battery bars) or even under the car (as long as the tape has enough purchase on the chassis) because it is not doing any work to keep the cells in in these areas.

It is easy and convenient to use one piece of tape going all around the cells, as it ensures that nothing comes unstuck from the end cell/s and teh chassis. To avoid tweak in the car, make sure that you don't pull the tape too tight as it comes from the chassis to the end cell/s. Otherwise, keep it gently taut, and neat. HTH
Old 10-09-2007, 09:41 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I like to make a loop at each end of the pack. This loop only goes around the slot, not under the chassis. Join the loops with a top piece of tape with some tension and the battery is secure. Leave the loops on for weeks at a time while only using a short piece each time the battery is removed.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:16 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Oh yeah....the TAPE itself MATTERS............don't buy the fancy colored one just because it match your colored bulkhead or alum parts, get the GOOD ONE that sticks.

I have the black one from Nexxus Racing...last FOREVER...and when your batteries getting warm while running it, it sticks even better....I use 1 round of tape for multiple practice, 3 qualifier and the main....but sometime I will change to another one after then 2nd qualifier.....just a piece of mine of preventing the tape get loose.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:20 AM
Tech Apprentice

can you use electrical tape or will that hurt the battery?
Old 10-09-2007, 10:24 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by RoseTuned
can you use electrical tape or will that hurt the battery?
Electrical tape is usually PVC, and is not strong enough for racing applications. One hit, and the tape will break. You need a fiberglass filament tape, or one like the Speed Merchant tape I mentioned earlier.
Old 10-09-2007, 04:13 PM
Tech Addict

thanks for the replys

i just use fiberglass tape from the local hardware store

T2 007 sedan and Corally SP12X pancar
Old 10-09-2007, 08:28 PM
Tech Elite

thanks for the replys

i just use fiberglass tape from the local hardware store

T2 007 sedan and Corally SP12X pancar
That stuff doesn't work quite as good. It will wear through that stuff on asphalt. Go with the other stuff recommended above, its better; trust me, been there done that.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:58 PM
Tech Addict

ok

il order a roll of that stuff

thanks for the input

PS u talking about the cars or the tape?
Old 10-10-2007, 07:48 AM
Tech Master

ok

il order a roll of that stuff

thanks for the input

PS u talking about the cars or the tape?
The tape, but I'm sure that all the companies that were mentioned above wouldn't mind selling you new chassis, too...
Old 10-10-2007, 08:42 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Couple reason why the tape broke (cutted...)

(1)...carbon fiber chassis not sanded smoothly...make sure sand the battery tape slot round and smooth.

(2)....bad tape, ie, the NON-RC use fiber tape...even the 3-Com one....

Forget about electric tape...when it get warm (your batteries will get hot while running)...those tape tend to get soft. It won't break...but it will get loose. And when your tape got loose...expect to see your 6 cells flying out at the next corner....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.