Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By skibum989
  • 1 Post By NightKidZ

HPI Micro RS4 vs. Kyosho Mini-Z

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2002, 09:43 PM
Tech Initiate

Default HPI Micro RS4 vs. Kyosho Mini-Z

Which do you like and why? Is one better than the other?
What are the differences?
I did a search but couldn't find a direct comparison.
Thanks!
Old 12-25-2002, 10:26 PM
Tech Regular

micro rs4 is faster and it's 4wd
Old 12-26-2002, 12:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

there really isn' much to compare... the micro is almost twice as big, allows you to use standard radio equiptment, and has a 4wd system (altough it is pretty pothetic) The mini-Z is smaller and allows you to run in a much smaller area, the radio equiptment is pretty cheesy (lack of proportional seering) and if you smoke a speedo you need to buy the whole unit which costs as much as the car!!! Also the bodies are polycarbonate (like models) which break and are quite expensive, but last much longer than the micro bodies due to reduced speeds..... The micro can be made much faster (borderline stock tourng speeds), but also becomes more fragile as you add speed..........

Personally I would check out the BRP cars at http://www.brpracing.com/
They are much more durable and just as fast as the micro!!!
Old 12-26-2002, 12:58 PM
Tech Adept

Ahh........ I'd like to post a little bit in the Mini-z's defense b4 the poor thing's reputation is smashed to pieces!

A. It DOES have fully proportional controls - They are made by KO Propo - I don't see how you could fry one, I never have

B. They can be upgraded with faster motors, ball diffs, tires and other various hopups

C. The polycarbonate bodies only get smashed up if you drive like a total HACK.......

Believe me, they are fun cars.
Bmr4life likes this.
Old 12-26-2002, 03:09 PM
Tech Initiate

hmmm....ok, cool. All good info. I just got the mini-z, but may also pick up a mini rs4 tomorrow since i have the radio equipment laying around. All i need is an esc and battery pack. Any suggestions on that? Also, does anyone know the average length and width of the mini rs4?
Thanks!
Old 12-26-2002, 03:36 PM
Tech Master

Well the wheelbase on the micro rs4 is adjustable for 140mm or 150mm. The entire car is about 8 inches long and 5 inches wide.

As for batteries, go for a 6 cell pack. Orion makes a good one thats 1100 mah.

The ESC depends on whether you want to stay with a stock motor. If you want to keep all you options open, go for one of the small 1/10 ESCs like the Quantum or the Futaba.
Old 12-26-2002, 10:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 82 (100%+)

for just bashing around, i equipped my micro with 1850 sanyo AA nimh, futaba mc230, and speed 300 motor. the 6-cell AAs have very long run times, even with the 300 motor. downside is theyre heavier than 2/3 A size cells and this matters when racing. the futaba mc230 is inexpensive. its size is just right for the micro. the reverse is a big plus when running around tight spaces, plus it can be disabled for racing.
Old 12-27-2002, 11:18 AM
Tech Regular

Just like to add some info to skibum989's post

A. The miniZ has fully proportional forward, reverse and steering, made by KO Propo no less. The Formula 1 version even has braking AND reverse.

B. They can be upgraded to the moon..... and you can fry the electronics if you use a Tamiya Plasma Dash motor without an external "turbo" (amplifier).

C. Nope, they dun use polycarbonate shells , its the HPI micro RS4s which uses Lexan (polycarbonate) shells. FYI, MiniZ uses styrene (sp) shells... and they are all very well detailed, esp the JGTC ones...no way you can get a Lexan shell to have details like that.

But sad to say, it is possible to smash them up in the heat of a race

The MiniZ and micro RS4 are really two different classes of cars.... the MiniZ can be run gymkana style in the living room.. while the micro really needs more space.

Originally posted by skibum989
Ahh........ I'd like to post a little bit in the Mini-z's defense b4 the poor thing's reputation is smashed to pieces!

A. It DOES have fully proportional controls - They are made by KO Propo - I don't see how you could fry one, I never have

B. They can be upgraded with faster motors, ball diffs, tires and other various hopups

C. The polycarbonate bodies only get smashed up if you drive like a total HACK.......

Believe me, they are fun cars.
Bmr4life likes this.