Wiki Posts
Search

How do you recommend

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 07:48 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default How do you recommend

Cleaning the GUNK and DIRT that accumulates around the glow plug and heat sink shaft. I want to make sure I clean it well before any loose dirt falls down the head when the glow plug is removed. I usually like to use some after run oil after my day at the track and find it scary removing the glow plug with so much dirt around the plug. Any ideas or suggestions???
Old 02-04-2011, 07:55 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

air compressor or a contact cleaner
Old 02-04-2011, 09:34 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by RePeTe
air compressor or a contact cleaner

So pulling the heat sink off is not recommended??? It looks simple (4 screws) however I never done it and not sure if its advisable to do...sorry for sounding noob, but I am and like to go about things correctly.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:02 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

When I clean my buggy I just pull my motor and clean it under the sink staying away from the cluth and carb of course, then take a compressor and dry the motor that way.
Old 02-04-2011, 06:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Every time i run my trucks i blow them off with a compresser before i bring them in the house in my opinion thats the best way
Old 02-05-2011, 09:10 AM
Tech Adept

i hold the car upside down and spray the head out with denatured alcohal untill clean
Old 02-05-2011, 09:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wannarace
So pulling the heat sink off is not recommended??? It looks simple (4 screws) however I never done it and not sure if its advisable to do...sorry for sounding noob, but I am and like to go about things correctly.
You can pull the cooling head without a problem. Depending on your motor it will either have a head button that is separate from the cooling head, or the head button will be part of the cooling head. Most motors have the head button that is separate from the cooling head. The head button is what the glow plug screws into. For cleaning the head button your shouldn't really have to take the head button off. But I guess if you want to do a very good job cleaning. If you do take the head button off, make sure you don't lose the shims that be on the underside on head button. Most motors do have shims, but there are some lower quality motors that don't have any.
Old 02-05-2011, 05:09 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by shanty140
You can pull the cooling head without a problem. Depending on your motor it will either have a head button that is separate from the cooling head, or the head button will be part of the cooling head. Most motors have the head button that is separate from the cooling head. The head button is what the glow plug screws into. For cleaning the head button your shouldn't really have to take the head button off. But I guess if you want to do a very good job cleaning. If you do take the head button off, make sure you don't lose the shims that be on the underside on head button. Most motors do have shims, but there are some lower quality motors that don't have any.

This was the answer I was looking for...thank you. The motor is a Novarossi Plus 4, any idea if the cooling head and motor head button are attached or seperate? Looks to me as if its seperate from the top.
Old 02-05-2011, 06:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wannarace
This was the answer I was looking for...thank you. The motor is a Novarossi Plus 4, any idea if the cooling head and motor head button are attached or seperate? Looks to me as if its seperate from the top.
They are separate and will have head shims.