Wiki Posts
Search

Cheap power systems

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 08:20 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 2wdMod
are you considering the sensorless 60a or the sensored 60 a??
The ESC I mentioned works for both sensored or sensorless operation. I'll be using it with a sensorless Tacon 11.5T.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:56 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

definitely does have a speed passion GT2.0 series look to it, especially the LPF models.

I'd be curious as to what software these ESCs can take.
Old 12-16-2011, 09:16 AM
Tech Elite

Location: anywhere I can race 2wd dirt,and 1/12 onroad in MI.
Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Coelacanth
The ESC I mentioned works for both sensored or sensorless operation. I'll be using it with a sensorless Tacon 11.5T.
alrightt that is exactly what i have in my buggy now for a speedo.Paired with the tacon it should move out..the speedo is easy to program without the programming card as long as you remember that 1 long light/beep=5 short beeps..so for 1-4 settings its short beeps, setting5 is one long beep, setting 6 is one long beep and one short, and so on..That tends to confuse people the first time the program manually..But yeah that motor will run fine ..I run down to a 6.5 with my 60 a with no issues at all..
Old 12-16-2011, 09:19 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Cain
definitely does have a speed passion GT2.0 series look to it, especially the LPF models.

I'd be curious as to what software these ESCs can take.
the hobbywings can use the speedpassion firmware compatible with the lpf marco, and vice versa of course..The one i just bought I will be confirming which firmware it has on it right off, but I am betting it will program with my hobbywing programmer just fine..
Old 12-16-2011, 09:30 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 2wdMod
alrightt that is exactly what i have in my buggy now for a speedo.Paired with the tacon it should move out..the speedo is easy to program without the programming card as long as you remember that 1 long light/beep=5 short beeps..so for 1-4 settings its short beeps, setting5 is one long beep, setting 6 is one long beep and one short, and so on..That tends to confuse people the first time the program manually..But yeah that motor will run fine ..I run down to a 6.5 with my 60 a with no issues at all..
Thanks for the info, 2wdMod. It looks like I'll pick up this ESC. Embarrassingly, the reason why I selected it is *because* of the purple color. It's intended to match the color scheme I got going on with one of my project cars. The thing is, these days, you can pretty much find what you want, with the specs you want, in the color you want, too. I wouldn't go with a specific-colored ESC unless I was sure it had similar quality, reliability & performance to the more common-colored ones (*ahem* blue or black).
Old 12-17-2011, 08:03 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Well my novak gtb just broke. So now I need a replacement. Just picked up a 12r5.1 with lipo, saxox servo. all I need is motor and esc. the guy I got it from had a LRP 5.5 and it was wicked fast, to fast for him. No time on the car but one pack....anyways I was looking at the hobbywing clone on ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sensored-Bru...item256a7dcd7f
2wdmod...were you running the same esc just 35a with the 2200 or 17.5t or whatever the motor was

This is a tiny 1/12 scale and I was hoping to get away with a 35a esc with a 17.5
Old 12-17-2011, 08:36 PM
Tech Rookie

so being a newby and just discovering these cheaper options, is this stuff mainly used for bashing by you guys? Or will most tracks let you run this stuff?

I'm thinking about getting into R/C again and Racing in a stock SCR class.

Thinking of just getting the basic Slash setup with a couple HK Lipos and a cheap charger, then get some brushless stuff if I really like it.
Old 12-18-2011, 12:08 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by dirtman71
Well my novak gtb just broke. So now I need a replacement. Just picked up a 12r5.1 with lipo, saxox servo. all I need is motor and esc. the guy I got it from had a LRP 5.5 and it was wicked fast, to fast for him. No time on the car but one pack....anyways I was looking at the hobbywing clone on ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sensored-Bru...item256a7dcd7f
2wdmod...were you running the same esc just 35a with the 2200 or 17.5t or whatever the motor was

This is a tiny 1/12 scale and I was hoping to get away with a 35a esc with a 17.5
I just ordered that same speedo you have a link to..the 35 A sensorless isnt 1s capable so you will need to run it in non lipo cut-off mode if you want to go that route, but really for racing the one you have linked is the way to go.It runs sensored or sensorless motors so your good to go whether you need to run a ROAR legal 17.5/"blinky" set-up or you want to run some cheapo higher KV sensorless motors for bashing with...But just to answer your original question here are the el cheapo systems i currently have and what they are in.

Hobbywing 60A sensored esc running an orion 17.5 in my 2wd buggy
Hobbywing 35a sensorless running a tacon 2230 kv in a losi SCT

and the one you have linked will be going in a 1/8 SC late model project.
Old 12-18-2011, 07:46 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 30 (97%+)

Thanks for the post guys. I've been doing a lot of research, and lots more wondering about this stuff. As I'm, like you all, are all somewhat of a budget. I do ok pay wise, but I'm in the postion of outfittung 4 trucks, pretty much at the same time, so any penny saved helps out. And I too looke at, if I can buy two or three set-ups for the price of one, I can afford to carry a spare in the pit box, in case one quits. At $300.00 a pop, there isnt going to be a spare.

Keep up the reviews, as after Christmas, I will be buying a few brushless combos.
Old 12-18-2011, 09:07 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by JonKampo
so being a newby and just discovering these cheaper options, is this stuff mainly used for bashing by you guys? Or will most tracks let you run this stuff?

I'm thinking about getting into R/C again and Racing in a stock SCR class.

Thinking of just getting the basic Slash setup with a couple HK Lipos and a cheap charger, then get some brushless stuff if I really like it.
You shouldnt have any problems racing any of these esc's. depending on your track and class you might have to run a roar approved motor in a spec class but I realy dont think they will throw a stink with normal club racing.

some of these esc's have a boost and turbo features that most guys use in the 17.5 class that realy kicks butt....some tracks let you use it and some dont. Check with you local track for details.

At my track they dont throw any big fits, stock sct realy means just a 17.5t motor, and if your in the novice class you can run what you brung. If you start smoking everybody they will just bump you up into a different class
Old 12-18-2011, 10:05 AM
Team Tekin

Originally Posted by dirtman71
I was looking at the hobbywing clone on ebay
"clone"

That is a little disgusting actually, even illegal in some societies. Just saying... Seems odd that it is acceptable and openly used to describe products.
Old 12-18-2011, 10:55 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Tekin Prez
"clone"

That is a little disgusting actually, even illegal in some societies. Just saying... Seems odd that it is acceptable and openly used to describe products.
"clone" isnt really the right term..Hobbywing is producing systems being re-badged by a number of companies...Turnigy,speed passion,bullistorm, to name a few.Just the same as there are about a dozen" brands" of 50w chargers out there that are all the same charger with different annodizing and branding graphics, but are the same on the inside where it counts...
Old 12-18-2011, 01:09 PM
Tech Regular

maybe clone isnt the right word...didnt mean to start a big debate. I know there are only a few manufactures of certain products and like 2wdmod said they are just rebranded on the outside for whoever is selling it. I used the word clone as meaning the same thing as a "brand" name.

Now I dont know where novak gets their stuff but I doubt if it is made in the states. My old novak gtb 5-7years I found at hobbyking as the hk 100a sensored/sensorless. there are internal programing differesnces. the novak can run brush or brushless motors...today that is not a needed option as it was a few years ago. yes the novak has 5 profile settings....
the HK 100a is in the same package...externaly the same....even the leds and switch, it doesnt run brushed motors, and doesnt have profiles, but it has a program card, and you can change the timming on the motors, that you cant do on the novak.
Are the the same esc?....on the outside, but not on the inside. I cant tell the dfference between between the 2 for smothness. will the hk last as long as the novak did? dont know but it was a fraction of the price of the gtb new.

That is why I started this thread....there are so many products out there, that look and act just like the tekin's and novak's and the thunderpower's...ect at a fraction of the cost....and they probably are made at the same place.

Is the quality the same? probably not is some cases, or the eficientcy? probably not. but hey I am not a pro racer...thats not my job. I dont have a sponser to give me all the top of the line stuff. So why do all the top racers win with the Brand Name stuff and you never see a Tacon Hobbywing setup on the podium? Because if you are that good of a driver you will find the sponsers or they will find you...because you win races. Your car and set up are important...but if you cant drive it...it doenst matter. A good driver can win with most any similar system

I used to have some fast quads...atv's and I used to beat a lot of guys, but I told them that their bikes were faster than mine....we would switch bikes and I would still beat them. Same in rc, its all about the driver.

Me I just want to have fun, I dont race as much as I much as I would like to, so most of it is just out having fun with some friends, racing a bashing. My cheap power systems work just fine. Even when I race my power systems are not keeping me from winning, i have plenty of power to keep up with anything on the track. Its my driving that slows me down
Old 12-18-2011, 01:10 PM
Tech Regular

wow thats a big post....next time tell me to shut up
Old 12-18-2011, 01:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

What would you recommend for a 17.5 in 2wd sc?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.