Search

Spool benefits?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2005, 12:30 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by imjonah
Well which is it?
Is a one way difficult in general or only if you are used to not driving a one way. Is a spool easier or harder to drive than a diff?

If you are just starting out are you better off with a diff and the stock setup in the instructions?

Are the race winning setup sheets you see on maufactures web sites for the pro drivers primarily and not necessarily best for the novice driver?
A lot of it is personal preference and even car specific. For instance, the MI2 does not respond well to a one-way. Even on tracks where everyone runs a one way. When I drove Losi cars, I loved having a one way in the car. With the Schumacher, the car is very hard to drive and on edge all the time where the spool is much more stable and predictable. If you can't be comfortable driving the car and have confidence in it, you'll never be fast with it. Some drivers love one ways, some hate them. Personally, I'm faster with a spool than a one way. You can make a spool turn just as well as a one way with the right setup and still have the ability to out brake someone into the corner.
Old 07-18-2005, 12:31 PM
Tech Elite

Marcel, that avatar is sweet
Old 07-18-2005, 01:01 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Spools can work just about anywhere given the right setup and driver. I know some people wont run anything else but a spool. As everyone else has said, they push on entry, and aroudn the middle of the corner. When you start to get on the throttle the front end pulls the car around with rock soild acceleration. I will run a spool when the track condidtions are super hot, and generally I always start with a spool outdoors.

-Korey
Old 07-18-2005, 01:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I run a spool almost exclusivly in stock when the racing is close (one hit is a wasted heat almost! due to the time lost) and there may be slight door rubbing its a little more stable than a one way, plus you have some brakes (although mine are turned down to almost nothing, just enough to make the nose of the car drop a little) If you get hit with a one way it can be tougher to control, and you cant late brake and sneak up the inside of people. Diff can run well due to its adjustability, but i dont have one in my pit box, and find i prefer the spool overall
Old 07-18-2005, 01:12 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by berger
I run a spool almost exclusivly in stock when the racing is close (one hit is a wasted heat almost! due to the time lost) and there may be slight door rubbing its a little more stable than a one way, plus you have some brakes (although mine are turned down to almost nothing, just enough to make the nose of the car drop a little) If you get hit with a one way it can be tougher to control, and you cant late brake and sneak up the inside of people. Diff can run well due to its adjustability, but i dont have one in my pit box, and find i prefer the spool overall
That's a good point. If you get out of shape, the spool is much easier to recover the car than a one way would be.
Old 07-18-2005, 02:25 PM
Tech Apprentice

Ok, Im getting some good ideas. Is it correct that a spool is basically a locked front diff? If your front wheels dont have diff action at all is it possible to turn when both wheels are fighting each other? What happens to a spool on and off throttle? With a one way I dont experience drag brake off throttle but Im guessing that with a spool I will notice this effect even more than a standard diff since it's like having the front drivetrain locked. I can imagine the stress this puts on the outdrives, cvds, etc.
Old 07-18-2005, 02:38 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Off power it pushes, on power it steers real well. I never noticed drag brake, it does scrub some more speed in the corners though if thats what you mean.

-Korey
Old 07-18-2005, 05:17 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by KillWency
Ok, Im getting some good ideas. Is it correct that a spool is basically a locked front diff? If your front wheels dont have diff action at all is it possible to turn when both wheels are fighting each other? What happens to a spool on and off throttle? With a one way I dont experience drag brake off throttle but Im guessing that with a spool I will notice this effect even more than a standard diff since it's like having the front drivetrain locked. I can imagine the stress this puts on the outdrives, cvds, etc.
all the things everybody has explained are true but the best way to find out what works the best for you is try all of them .and figure out the one best suits your driven style you may love a spool and you may hate one but you won't know to you try it out.me personaly i love a spool but iam a little faster with a oneway but the spool is more forgive in one since as far as car handling goes but rougher on drivetrain parts go's its a trade off .
Old 07-18-2005, 06:50 PM
Tech Elite

What I have seen some guys do, to imitate a spool, is tighten the front diff-very tight. ITs a little heavier, but that may be good under some circumstances. Also, a spool, as with a one way, can bend or break drive shafts if you brush a pipe while ON power. Having a tight diff can help with the breakage problem becuase it will give a little (given you left it just a tad loose) Under most cases, with it tightened very tight, it will handle like a spool though.
Old 07-18-2005, 08:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Sushiboy...

do you say the spool scrubs speed in the corners. I race stock on very tight ozite carpet. I wonder what would be better a spool or a one way. I looking for more rip off the corners, so I think a spool would be great. I don't use brakes, so a oneway sounds good. Does a oneway give you more speed in corners. I can all ways dial out some turn I guess. Anyone recommend a great spool for a TC4? I run stock and I want one that will last the longest.
Old 07-18-2005, 10:10 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by RCknight
do you say the spool scrubs speed in the corners. I race stock on very tight ozite carpet. I wonder what would be better a spool or a one way. I looking for more rip off the corners, so I think a spool would be great. I don't use brakes, so a oneway sounds good. Does a oneway give you more speed in corners. I can all ways dial out some turn I guess. Anyone recommend a great spool for a TC4? I run stock and I want one that will last the longest.

what tires? foam or rubber? diff with foams, one-way with rubbers
Old 07-18-2005, 11:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default I run foam tires.

Will a oneway scrub speed in the corners?
Old 07-19-2005, 05:20 AM
Tech Regular

maybe if the car isn't setup right even diffs could cause a problem with a poorly setup car
Old 07-19-2005, 07:32 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by RCknight
Will a oneway scrub speed in the corners?
In theory, a one-way will carry the most corner speed of all front drivetrains.

Last edited by Pro4Capece; 08-02-2005 at 09:02 AM.
Old 07-19-2005, 07:55 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rbboy
marcel: nice avatar hehe... you definitely beat mine haha
I disagree with both of your avatars. Many people involved in this hobby are children, women & Christians and this goes beyond acceptable for all three.

There is a level of decency that I believe the moderators of this forum ought to take the time to uphold.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.