Old 01-11-2008, 07:10 AM
Tech Initiate

sorry! i use only 4800 and 4900 lipo
Old 01-11-2008, 07:15 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by riccardo
sorry! i use only 4800 and 4900 lipo
you might be tweeking the chassis with that metal plate.
Old 01-11-2008, 07:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (80%+)

Untill Jeff gets the setups posted this will have to do. This is a copy of all the changes I made for the novak race, keep in mind it was very high bite.

The changes I made were going up to 60wt oil in the front............I flipped the front blocks(high roll center).......then I added a 1mm shim to go even higher.........I also added a .8mm spacer at the block to increase the width in the front. My camber links are up and short on the towers(have been for a while)
I ended up running a 12lb spring in the rear (outer hole in the arm) that helped keep the car off the nose. I also reduced the droop to 1.5mm over ride height.

Don't be afraid to glue the sidewall on the tires, front and rear.

This has already been sent out in about 10 pm's.......but this should save me some time
any other Q's.....just ask

Josh
Old 01-11-2008, 07:38 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fred kellner
Ok I am going LIPO.

Who has the best weights to balance out the car?

I may have heard someone offered lead that fit down in the battery slots.

What is the heaviest material available that takes up the least space?

Thanks Fred
Fred,

Here's what I do on my 416 with a flat sided pack (Core 5000). First, I picked up some lead weights from nexusracing.net and trimmed them so they fit into the battery slots on the chassis. Then, I used shoe goo to secure them to the bottom of the pack (much like the picture) and arranged them in a pattern that acts to lock the battery into the slots so it can't slide side-to-side or forward and backward. This has been a big help since the flat packs are slippery. As an alternative, you can use the Orion Carbon packs that have ridges which should secure them into the slots. You lose the option of putting some of the weight down low, however, and I find the rounded sides are harder to secure weight to.

Second, grab some tungsten plates from a pinewood derby shop. I bought a bunch of these and line the long sides of my battery with them (secured with foam servo tape) as well as a strip along the top. The weights are a little pricey up front, but you really only have to buy them once. If you look around on that page, they sell tungsten in many other configurations (including putty!) so you might come up with some ideas of your own.

And, finally, use tape. I haven't seen a battery strap used with a LiPo pack that's not either too loose, or too tight and warps the chassis. I know tape is a hassle, but if you grab that IRS stuff, a single piece (doubled up) should last all day.
Old 01-11-2008, 07:40 AM
Tech Lord

These guys might be able to tell you which LiPo, if any fit in the Phi. It might be only the carbon packs? Either way, I'd definitely encourage you to stick with one that's got a hard case.
Old 01-11-2008, 09:19 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Thanks for the help everyone.
Old 01-11-2008, 01:27 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I know the carbon packs fit dead nuts perfect from looking at others cars around the track. I'm not entirely sure anbout anything else though. The upper deck is so slammed it makes it hard to put the bigger stuff in there. I currently still run normal ni-mh stuff so I'm not the best sourse of info.

You're supposed to know everything about the lipo stuff Syndrome GEEEEZE hahaha

-Korey
Old 01-11-2008, 01:43 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Korey Harbke
You're supposed to know everything about the lipo stuff Syndrome GEEEEZE hahaha.
Every time I think I know something about LiPo, linger shows up and makes me look like a schoolgirl.

It seems like the trend of slamming top decks is being reversed somewhat, at least to accommodate the height of the Orion pack. The 008 and 416 both have their top decks a bit higher than previous generation cars for this reason. I'll be surprised if any future car is released that can't fit LiPo easily.

I like 'em. I don't know if they'll end up being much better in competitive racing, but for right now, it's hard not to like being able to run the same pack 6 times a night with nothing to do but put it on my microscopic charger after each round. Is it slower? I dunno, maybe, but it's just club racing, and my cars are always exactly at minimum weight with normal bodies and brushless electronics. I still have my NiMH gear, so I'll buy two NiMH packs if I need them for a big race, and sell them to some schmuck when I'm done. :-)
Old 01-11-2008, 02:06 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Yea, I havent run a lipo battery yet in a car... So I dont really know much about whats good and not. I use them in heli's aaaalll the time though :P

-Korey
Old 01-11-2008, 05:21 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

I picked up some of the tungsten weights that Syndrome is talking about and they do work nice. Very flat, unlike the lead strips.
Old 01-12-2008, 12:16 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by s.nicholson
So are you saying with rubber tyre on ashphalt 5 cell modified its better to stick with kit pulleys at 2.0 is it?????????
can any1 answer this please as i have major race meeting here this weekend????
Old 01-12-2008, 03:58 AM
Tech Champion

Blackstock explained at the top of this page that the smaller ratio seems to have more steering and better acceleration. He also stated that he felt the 2.0 ratio was better for rubber tires. I would guess that it allows for more control of the acceleration with decreased grip.
Old 01-13-2008, 05:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

does anybody make a caged version of the RDX Phi Ceramic Thrust Bearing ??
Old 01-13-2008, 05:45 PM
Tech Champion

Simon, your already fast enough lol
Old 01-13-2008, 06:03 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by dawgmeat
does anybody make a caged version of the RDX Phi Ceramic Thrust Bearing ??
I think that Axiom motors had posted a thrust bearing for the car. They also sell a ceramic set of diff balls with it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.