Search
Like Tree66Likes

Hot Bodies D413 1/10 4WD Buggy

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 12:46 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DIRT DIGGER
anyone know what the best pinion gear to use are? im tearing the teeth of th losi ones apart.
How many pinions have you destroyed? If it was one I would say it was a manufacturing defect, if you have broken multiple pinions I would say you are doing something very wrong. I've been running aluminum Robinson pinions for the last 7 years, and have not had a single problem (running as low as 6.5 motors on slicks in a 4wd buggy). I set my mesh perfectly, make sure my motor is tight, and check my mesh often. If the car starts to make a different noise, stop immediately and see what happened. If your car is tumbling during a crash, don't mash the throttle. If the car is stuck, don't mash the throttle to get it unstuck. I've been into this hobby for nearly 25 years, and have used Robinson pinions for as long as I can remember, literally the first pinion I ever bought was a Robinson. I have never had one fail. I've used Losi, PRS, Kimbrough, and probably a few others. I think the only pinion I had that I didn't like was one that came with a Tamiya kit. It was a really soft material, and wore really quickly. If you are hard on your equipment and do dumb things, expect stuff to break.
Old 02-22-2015, 12:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

I still have and use the losi steel pinions I bought over 25 years ago
Old 02-22-2015, 01:15 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mantis Toboggan
How many pinions have you destroyed? If it was one I would say it was a manufacturing defect, if you have broken multiple pinions I would say you are doing something very wrong. I've been running aluminum Robinson pinions for the last 7 years, and have not had a single problem (running as low as 6.5 motors on slicks in a 4wd buggy). I set my mesh perfectly, make sure my motor is tight, and check my mesh often. If the car starts to make a different noise, stop immediately and see what happened. If your car is tumbling during a crash, don't mash the throttle. If the car is stuck, don't mash the throttle to get it unstuck. I've been into this hobby for nearly 25 years, and have used Robinson pinions for as long as I can remember, literally the first pinion I ever bought was a Robinson. I have never had one fail. I've used Losi, PRS, Kimbrough, and probably a few others. I think the only pinion I had that I didn't like was one that came with a Tamiya kit. It was a really soft material, and wore really quickly. If you are hard on your equipment and do dumb things, expect stuff to break.
All my Robinson pinions have been bad. I have used 4-5 Robinson in both my 2wds and 4wds before I stopped using them. Even thought our track is a mix of dirt and sand, and the chances of getting something wedged between your spur/pinion, the problem was solved when using other brand of pinions. My Robinson was full of nicks and sign of wear after short usages and my spur was just fine.

Edit: After a little research, Robinson sells pinions in different price range from $3.99, $4.69(Absolute), $6(Pro) to $8(Machined). I bought all mine at the local hobby shop, so they were most likely the cheapest ones thus poorest quality as well. Conclusion: buy the more expensive ones and you might be fine.

Last edited by cokemaster; 02-22-2015 at 01:44 AM.
Old 02-22-2015, 09:40 AM
Suspended

Yeah, cheap stuff rarely lasts as long as the more expensive stuff. The way I look at it, I really like racing, and really hate DNF'ing. High quality stuff is an investment in my happiness. Its so nice having a pinion caddy full of all the same brand and style of pinions, but it wasn't cheap. Over $100 for sure, but I would just add one or two pinions to each Amain order until the caddy was full.

I'm pretty excited, I get to start my D413 build today. I got one off the for sale section on here, great deal too. Car was put together about half way (diffs built, arms, gear boxes, steering assembly, and top decks). None of the carbon fiber was sealed so yesterday I pulled the car apart so I can seal it. That's what I'm doing today sanding and sealing all the carbon fiber.
Old 02-22-2015, 03:50 PM
Tech Adept

the kits seem to be back in stock here

https://www.absolutehobbyz.com/produ...ducts_id=16818
Old 02-22-2015, 04:06 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by cokemaster
Do not buy Robinson. Xray are good but expensive. Schumacher pinions is a very good alternative.
Thanks for the help i will try one of these for sure! thanks again coke
Old 02-23-2015, 05:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Robinson Pinions.... I have one in my D413 that I've been using since September and I also have one in my Tekno EB48.2 that has been in use for almost 1.5yr now.
Old 02-23-2015, 06:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

what size and length turnbuckles
are you using from lunsford? or other brand?
I bent a steel one
Old 02-23-2015, 08:06 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by boudin4evr
I bent a steel one
I changed to Lunsford. I got them when the kit came out, so I just matched them to the sizes listed in the manual. But Lunsford now has a premade kit, check their site. It even lists all the sizes.
Old 02-23-2015, 09:13 AM
Tech Adept

Pretty rare to bend a turnbuckle. Lunsfords are too pricey IMO
Old 02-23-2015, 09:24 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RENOV8R
Pretty rare to bend a turnbuckle. Lunsfords are too pricey IMO
Little over $30 to do the whole car, nothing really when you consider the level of quality. I haven't bought them because I haven't broken my stocks and I'm not a good enough driver to need them. But I will probably replace stocks with them as they bend/break.
Old 02-23-2015, 11:52 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by boudin4evr
I bent a steel one
I have the Lunsford that came with it used. They seem worth the cost just so I can use a wrench to make adjustments.
Old 02-23-2015, 12:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Meh, Lunsford are quality turnbuckles but the way overcharge for the product. You can buy titanium rods much larger for less than those tiny little turnbuckles. Lifetime warranty or not, just overpriced, and I've bent a few over the years so they're not as bulletproof as some would lead you to believe. Better than SS or alloy, but by no means impervious to the forces facing those little rockets.
Old 02-23-2015, 01:37 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I've heard rumors of a D415, no proof. Just reporting what I'm hearing, could be total BS or could hold some weight. Source has no dog in the fight so I don't know why it would be fake.
Old 02-23-2015, 02:14 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mvrk28
I've heard rumors of a D415, no proof. Just reporting what I'm hearing, could be total BS or could hold some weight. Source has no dog in the fight so I don't know why it would be fake.
Well anything is possible..

I guess i would just consider the car is one year old. TY dosen't seem to freakafy the platform with a bunch of mods to warrant an update and its wining quite well..tells me there wouldn't be a new one anytime soon.

Plus i would think Torrance has his sleeves rolled up on a new 2wd buggy. My guess is that's up on the list. HB dosn't have a car to sell and TY is a marketing resource just going to waste in 2wd at the moment.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.