Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Serpent 705

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2003, 06:53 PM
Tech Elite

Maybe it was a type-o. I definitely will tear the diff down and apply grease. Now what type? I know not to use silicone grease, use the black stuff. But the only black grease I have is from AE.
Old 01-29-2003, 11:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I never did apply grease to the serpent ball diff, except for the thrust bearing, since I started racing with the Impact. Well I did once, the balls and rings did not last as long with grease. The grease seems to attract the dirt and grime, wears out the balls and ring faster.

Shortyboy, are you going to race out at the airport Sunday? Look me up, try help you with your Impulse. I'm the only racer with a Serpent. BTW, which LHS do go to?

InitialD, how's it going. Looks like you got a 705. Still racing my Impulse. Can't afford a 705 yet. Love that ti chassis. Got to find out if Hardcore makes one for the 705.

Last edited by RoyU; 01-29-2003 at 11:57 PM.
Old 01-31-2003, 08:15 AM
Tech Elite

I spoke with Ray at Serpent USA and he mentioned that you should always put grease on the diff. But he also mentioned that it should be very little because it is exposed and not covered.
Old 01-31-2003, 08:25 AM
Tech Master

Default Re: Anodizing?

Originally posted by JBrake
Anyone have any +/- to having the chassis anodized? I was thinking of having all of the aluminum pieces anodized but really don't know much about the after affects, good or bad. Thanks, Jason
Anodising is a very nice way to cutomise the look of your car but if you are a serious racer I wouldn't recommend it. It adds a lot of weight to the car that definately isn't necessary.

The advantage of anodising would come from fun demostration meetings for incouraging new comers to the hobby. With a full field of plain silver cars they dont look totally appealing but if each car has different coloured parts it attracts more attention and the hobby continues to grow.
Old 01-31-2003, 08:28 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by RoyU
I never did apply grease to the serpent ball diff, except for the thrust bearing, since I started racing with the Impact. Well I did once, the balls and rings did not last as long with grease. The grease seems to attract the dirt and grime, wears out the balls and ring faster.
I agree. I never grease my pivot ball joints for this reason. Instead I just pour in really thin shock oil to give them a little lubrication. It also washes out the dust from the previous run keeping them nice and free.
Old 01-31-2003, 09:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

modellor, thanks for the reply. I was not aware that anodizing added any weight to the piece.
Old 01-31-2003, 06:05 PM
Tech Adept

RoyU,i'm heading to The Hobbietat in a few hours,if you want we can meet there but none of us are bringing our cars.i got to get a rear bulkhead for myself and my friend with the serpent needs an sg shaft.oh,do u happen to have a serpent header?my friend has a side exhaust header and he's having problems trying to fit the yokomo header on.if you could go there,ill be the short 1 with spiked hair and bangs,with some teens with me.
Old 01-31-2003, 10:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally posted by shortyboy
RoyU,i'm heading to The Hobbietat in a few hours,if you want we can meet there but none of us are bringing our cars.i got to get a rear bulkhead for myself and my friend with the serpent needs an sg shaft.oh,do u happen to have a serpent header?my friend has a side exhaust header and he's having problems trying to fit the yokomo header on.if you could go there,ill be the short 1 with spiked hair and bangs,with some teens with me.
Try Ace r/c in Pearl City. They might have a rear bulkhead, left or right. I may have a side exhuast header for the Impulse, don't hold your breath, though. Your friend should go with a rear exhaust engine. I only company that I know of now that makes a side exhaust engine w/sg crank and slide carb is O.S.
If nobody has Serpent parts, ask Bobby at Hobbietat to order for you or you could try Speedtech in Ca or Ashford Hobbies in Conn.
Also, I have an Impulse for sale at Ace R/C. Maybe you and your friends could buy it for parts

Last edited by RoyU; 01-31-2003 at 10:50 PM.
Old 02-01-2003, 02:57 PM
Tech Elite

What is the most common thing that breaks on the 705?
Old 02-01-2003, 02:59 PM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

the driver...
Old 02-01-2003, 03:01 PM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

front knuckles, rear knuckles....

in that order, some have issues with front bumpers breaking????

some runs of the rear axels have been week, they would then snap easy...
Old 02-02-2003, 04:48 AM
Tech Elite

Default Building advice for step 4.3

Hi Guys,

I'm just onto step 4.3 the very first part - inserting the ball part into the upper rear wishbone.

Can someone give me some advice of the best way to insert this into the wishbone, as I don't want to damage anything in the process?

Many thanks in advance, Mark

Last edited by markp27; 02-02-2003 at 04:52 AM.
Old 02-02-2003, 05:27 AM
Tech Master

I find the easiest way is to squeeze them in gently using a vice with the rubber grips. But you should be able to squeeze them in with a pair of good pliers.
Old 02-02-2003, 06:29 AM
Tech Elite

Thanks once again! My pliers are too small, I think. I'll get some rubber pads for my vice tomorrow.

Cheers, Mark.
Old 02-02-2003, 07:27 AM
Tech Elite

Ehm, cough, er....hmmm....The tool to insert the ball part is included with the kit, *blush*
But it wasn't mentioned and it was in a completely different packet :-( ;-)))

Thanks for the help anyway :-) Mark.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.