Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pro10 Class

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 10:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Okay, back from work. Track... I don't think the new CRC car will be out till March. At least that's what they said on the other thread. Not unless if they changed the release date. I saw your rules you posted. They looked great. But I'm waiting to see what rules the manufactures came out with themselves.

However I agree on the 4cell deal. Worked for 12th scale. Worked for oval. So I'm sure it'll work here as well to get this class rolling. I've had 4cell packs. I've had 6cell packs. And I have lipo packs now. I'm sure if I can afford to race touring, I can afford to go out and buy some new 4 cell packs to get the Pro10 running. People looking to get into it, it will be cheaper for them. You can get 2, 3, or even 4 4cell packs for the price of 1 lipo. Or have 3 4cell packs for the price of 2 6cell packs.

If you are already racing Pro10 or pan 10th scale with lipo's or 6cell, then that's fine. You have a class established. That's great for you. But for us who don't. WE are trying to get some things established so that everyone can hop in an enjoy on many different types and sizes of tracks with the NEW cars that 7 (or so) manufactures are coming out with soon.

I would love to go fast too. But I'm willing to sacrifice the speed to see this class grow first. Anyways, we need to see what these companies are going to offer. Then perhaps we can deal with power plants. Right now I love how the CRC looks. But I love the quality of BMI chassis's. Maybe I'll just buy both!! Wait..... who are these other companies?? Ahh great... I'm gonna be a car whore again....
Old 02-01-2008, 04:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JimmyMac
Okay, back from work. Track... I don't think the new CRC car will be out till March. At least that's what they said on the other thread. Not unless if they changed the release date. I saw your rules you posted. They looked great. But I'm waiting to see what rules the manufactures came out with themselves.

However I agree on the 4cell deal. Worked for 12th scale. Worked for oval. So I'm sure it'll work here as well to get this class rolling. I've had 4cell packs. I've had 6cell packs. And I have lipo packs now. I'm sure if I can afford to race touring, I can afford to go out and buy some new 4 cell packs to get the Pro10 running. People looking to get into it, it will be cheaper for them. You can get 2, 3, or even 4 4cell packs for the price of 1 lipo. Or have 3 4cell packs for the price of 2 6cell packs.

If you are already racing Pro10 or pan 10th scale with lipo's or 6cell, then that's fine. You have a class established. That's great for you. But for us who don't. WE are trying to get some things established so that everyone can hop in an enjoy on many different types and sizes of tracks with the NEW cars that 7 (or so) manufactures are coming out with soon.

I would love to go fast too. But I'm willing to sacrifice the speed to see this class grow first. Anyways, we need to see what these companies are going to offer. Then perhaps we can deal with power plants. Right now I love how the CRC looks. But I love the quality of BMI chassis's. Maybe I'll just buy both!! Wait..... who are these other companies?? Ahh great... I'm gonna be a car whore again....
Well said, I agree with every point
Old 02-01-2008, 05:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Well here in Colorado, we have never stopped running 1/10 scale pan cars. We've run Tamiya F1 and Group C cars along with many older pan cars. Lucky also that the Max10 and I-Fource is made here as well.

Outside most have run 6 cell or lipo. We made lipo meet weight, and other than ease of charging, either did well. I'm good with 4cell, 6cell or lipo. I still think that if the 235 cars were mod 6cell and the 200 were 4 cell 10.5 or 19 turn and then an entry class at 4 cell 13.5 or 27 turn you would have 3 classes that would be close.

To start, I mix the class so that you would have class winners. Once the class grows you could end up with thier own heats. How cool too have 12 cars running at the same time. Spectrum will allow even more.

Now as to trying cars, my current stable is TRC Pro-10, 10L2, Max10, Corally F1, Corally CCT, Corrally C10X, Corrally Killer Corrally (my modification) and Darkside I-Fource. Some of these see more road time than others. I also race 1/12 scale on road and 1/10 oval (OK so I am addicted).

What I think would work:
Carpet - Inside: Entry class 200mm 4 cell or single lipo with 27t / 17.5
Mid class 200mm 4 cell or single lipo with 19t / 10.5
Fast class 235 4cell or single lipo with what ever you want

Pavement - Outside: Entry class 200mm 4 cell or single lipo with 27t / 17.5
Mid class 200mm 4 cell or single lipo with 19t / 10.5
Fast class 235 6cell or 7.4 lipo with what ever

I think each club or track could adjust the mid class to fit there track. I'd also use GT bodies in the first class and let the 235 guys run GTP / Group C.

On the tires, if we can get a spec rubber tire, that's what I'd use in the entry class. The high class could run current foam and the mid class once again could be what each club wants. So if you were to purchase a new 200 car, it could be set to meet the rules, same for the 235.

Much to long a post, but I like where we are heading. Anyone point Dawn from ROAR to this site??
Old 02-01-2008, 06:10 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Just to let you guys know...there are no plans for 235 coming back from the manufacturers. The cars can be converted to 235 but they all will be 200 out of the box and all the new bodies will be 200. There will be no new 235 bodies.

I know a lot of you like the 235 cars but thats not where we are going.
Old 02-01-2008, 06:20 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JimmyMac

Right now the ones I can remember off the top of my head are BMI, CEFX, Darkside Motorsports, and CRC. I know the names have been posted at various points throughout this discussion

Grenade, that is a pretty fair idea but I think that what we really need right now is a single class. We can't be trying to have two or three different classes right out the gate. Maybe we can try that once we get these 200mm chassis out on the market, and get this class of racing to the masses on the club level. Maybe if we get some definitive growth here over the next few months we ought to consider some class division like that.
Old 02-01-2008, 08:08 AM
Tech Initiate

Is there a possibility of perfomance balancing like ROAR has done with 27T brushed and 17.5 brushless running together. Example: (10.5) could be used with 4 cell and (17.5 or 21.5) could be used with Lipo and run both in one class together allowing both battery technologies to be used.
Old 02-01-2008, 08:16 AM
Tech Elite

My post for the classes was to allow the cars that are being raced currently a place to play. I for one can go either direction. I am working with Mr. Darkside on his 200mm car, heck he even got me back racing oval after 20 years?!>

I also agree that a single class woul be good for the largest amount of racers, but I don't want to tell someone who has kept the 235 cars going for lets say 20 years that they need to purchase a new car.
Old 02-01-2008, 08:20 AM
Tech Initiate

When an HPI representitive was asked several years ago why they were coming out with GT bodies to fit on TC cars the answer was "so we can sell more cars in the America". Stay with the GT bodies and you'll attract more new people to race them.
Old 02-01-2008, 08:22 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by wallyworld
Is there a possibility of perfomance balancing like ROAR has done with 27T brushed and 17.5 brushless running together. Example: (10.5) could be used with 4 cell and (17.5 or 21.5) could be used with Lipo and run both in one class together allowing both battery technologies to be used.
I agree that with some side by side testing, we could come up with an equivalence for lipo and brushless as well as brushed and NMih batteries.
Old 02-01-2008, 08:49 AM
Tech Apprentice

CRC car looks great, and the chassis seems to be worth almost 300 USD, but as this is going to be an alternative class to expensive TC, is any of this companies going to put out in the market some cheaper cars or cheaper versions?
Old 02-01-2008, 09:20 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by pepecueva
CRC car looks great, and the chassis seems to be worth almost 300 USD, but as this is going to be an alternative class to expensive TC, is any of this companies going to put out in the market some cheaper cars or cheaper versions?
Yeah. That's my question as well. I understand about research & development and tooling & manufacturing costs, but the rallying cry for this class is a "way to lower the costs to get started racing". With many decent touring cars available for under $200, it's hard to justify paying $300+ for a Pro 10 car. Especially when you look at the complexity of a touring car versus a pan car. A touring car has 4 shocks, two diffs, dogbones/driveshafts, etc., where as a pan car is direct drive and doesn't have much in the way of suspension.

For me to be interested in the class, the price will have to come down significantly on the chassis themselves. Otherwise it's not a "less expensive option". It's just "another class".
Old 02-01-2008, 09:40 AM
Tech Apprentice

The tamiya f103 costs around 120. So a 200 mm pan car between 100 and 150 USD would really represent an alternative for racers.

There are good cheap TCs for 150 to 200 USD READY TO RUN. So a pan cars for beginners should cost the same or less.

This could be the case of CARS FOR BEGINNERS, NOT THE CRC that is going to come out soon with a lot of aluminum and carbon.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:47 AM
Tech Addict

I'm would imagine that these cars will cost relatively the same as a 1/12th scales. They utilize most of the same parts, just a little larger graphite chassi and rear axle.
Old 02-01-2008, 10:58 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Some of that may also depend on the hobby shops (both brick-and-mortar and online) but I do agree that these things need to be in a price point that will not scare people away right from the get go. Im sure that is something the companies that are producing these cars are aware of though.
Old 02-01-2008, 11:19 AM
Tech Fanatic

I would hope so, but the CRC car will more than likely cost more than their 1/12 car, which costs $265. The Darkside car is $300.

I'm really hoping this class will take off, but as it is, the prices are too high to get into it. At least, for me it is. And as a potential first-time racer, I can just imagine asking "how much does one of those cars cost" and hearing "well, the car itself is $300, then you have to buy batteries, a motor, a radio, a speed control, etc." By contrast, a RTR touring car is $250-300 and includes the radio, electronics, motor, etc.

I don't mean to cast a dark cloud on this discussion, though. I have always been a huge pan car fan. I just hope the manufacturers don't price themselves out of the game before the even get to play...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.