Wiki Posts
Search

Need help on motor turn..I confused

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 06:50 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default Need help on motor turn..I confused

Hi all. Since different LHS in my area tell me different story..(the shop owner may not be expert in Electric stuff..haha) So I guess I would rather get information from all the pro racers here..heheh

I OWN TEAM ASSOCIATED B44 and SPEED PASSION GT LPF BRUSHLESS ESC

1) Is it true that 11.5T brushless motor is equivalent to 23T brush motor?..i.e. just multiply by factor: 2..Meaning 5.5T brushless X 2 equals to 11T brush motor?

2) For your info..I have previously installed Trinity 12T brush coz my friends said 12T is fasttttt BUT not fast to me... Then I installed 6.5T brushless Tekin Redline BUTTTT..still..its not fast like those buggies in the youtube. I have wasted my money on 2 motor that not up to my expectation

I have recently seen Youtube 1/10 EP Buggy European Champion..those buggies were fastt!!!.. I like that. I wanna make my buggy fast like that so..what brushless motor turn should I install??

Hope to get some fast response from you guysss..thanks
Old 02-16-2009, 10:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

If you want all out speed get a Mamba Monster 5700kv system and a 4s lipo, but the power/speed will get old fast when you can't control it.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Well.... originally brushless motors were explained to us as 11.5 being the equivalent to a 23t brushed (yes, 2x the bl #). In reality they are faster... but the gearing is not the same.. you cannot gear a 11.5 the same as a 23t.. you gear brushless motors up more. The powerband in a brushless kicks in at higher RPMs.

I used to run a 12t in my 4wd all the time.. it was fast, but nothing close to a 6.5 brushless.

Jerome
Old 02-17-2009, 12:02 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default Fast

I think what JeromeK99 is saying is that a 6.5t brushless is very fast. There are faster motors but the6.5 is seriously quick. You could put a 2.5 or 3.5 etc in it but it will be very hard to control. It sounds as though you dont have the gearing right. Ask around for the correct gearing for what you want to do and I bet the speed improves.
Old 02-17-2009, 12:22 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Team Ash
I think what JeromeK99 is saying is that a 6.5t brushless is very fast. There are faster motors but the6.5 is seriously quick. You could put a 2.5 or 3.5 etc in it but it will be very hard to control. It sounds as though you dont have the gearing right. Ask around for the correct gearing for what you want to do and I bet the speed improves.
I followed the suggestion in manual that came with the kit..It says..for stock spur and 6.5T brushless motor..use 19T pinion..So..I installed 19T pinion but still...its much slower that the buggies I saw in youtube..i.e the 1/10 EP Buggy European Championship..

Did those buggies used 3.5T brushless?
Old 02-17-2009, 07:04 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by azmin
I followed the suggestion in manual that came with the kit..It says..for stock spur and 6.5T brushless motor..use 19T pinion..So..I installed 19T pinion but still...its much slower that the buggies I saw in youtube..i.e the 1/10 EP Buggy European Championship..

Did those buggies used 3.5T brushless?

What battery do you use ?
Old 02-17-2009, 09:25 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Wouldn't a little higher turn brushless like a 6.5 and 7.5 be more for like a smaller type track....maybe indoor? And when switching to the larger scale outdoor type tracks , you could use like a 3.5 - 5.5? I'm kind of in the same boat as the original poster. MOST of my track running will be on a smaller type supercross/RC type track. But i do want to take it to some slightly larger tracks as well later this summer. I think on the smaller tracks , a 3.5 - 5.5 brushless ( from what i have read on here ) is just to much power and would be hard to control.
Old 02-17-2009, 03:19 PM
Tech Apprentice

I have a 6.5 and mine is plenty fast i have my gearing at 81/20 and it hauls. Also the battery can have a major effect on the speed... You need to go with a lipo and it will kick the speed up. Also the high turned motors are for smaller tracks because they can put out more torque and this helps with the quick acceleration out of turns. A super low turn motor will not have as good torque but will have a high top speed so thats why when you look at what "the pros" are racing you see about a 6.5. Hope this helps, Curtis
Old 02-17-2009, 08:17 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by RB FIVE
What battery do you use ?
Intellect IB 4600mAh NiMH (SHV High Drain Type) six cells soldered as saddle pack..
Old 02-17-2009, 08:25 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by C Reedy
I have a 6.5 and mine is plenty fast i have my gearing at 81/20 and it hauls. Also the battery can have a major effect on the speed... You need to go with a lipo and it will kick the speed up. Also the high turned motors are for smaller tracks because they can put out more torque and this helps with the quick acceleration out of turns. A super low turn motor will not have as good torque but will have a high top speed so thats why when you look at what "the pros" are racing you see about a 6.5. Hope this helps, Curtis
U mean...averagely..the pro racers use 6.5T?..In other words..6.5T brushless is actually fast enuff for world champion level??

If yes..then I dut have to buy lower turn motor I guess..but still I personally feel that 6.5T not fast enuff...maybe due to the batt I use.. Have to change to LIPO I guess..
Old 02-17-2009, 09:07 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by C Reedy
man....i am more of newb than i thought! That makes sense to me. It was weird though , at a winter rage race i went to a lot of the factory guys we're running like 3.5 and 4.5 turn stuff in an indoor track...and they we're flat out HAULING the mail! But i also saw some guys running modified 4wd with 6.5's....and they did not look like they we're hurting for power either.

So i get this strait....if i had a B44 , and i was running in a smaller indoor , tight track....i'd want to use something like 6.5- 7.5 and if i go to a big out door track....i'd want something like a 4.5...is this correct?
Old 02-17-2009, 09:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

It comes down to gearing... there are guys that run 10.5 in 4wd mod and can compete with those running 4.5 motors... Typically in 10th scale a 6.5 or 7.5 seems to be the choice of most in our area.

Gearing a brushless motor is a lot different that with brushed. One of the most interesting things I found when I first started running brushless mod was that as I geared up more, I not only gained top end speed, but low end torque (take off speed) as well. When you gear up a brushless it takes the load off the bottom allowing it to rev up the rpms so that it hits the power band faster. With brush it's one or the other... Main thing with brushless is that you get as much power as you can and stay within the heat range the motor and esc will allow. Once you find this you will probably not need to change too much between different tracks.

Jerome