Search

Novak Ballistic goes Spec

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 09:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)
Default GTB cooling fin and fan

Hi,
Just wanted to see if anyone knew if the the current GTB heatsink and fan fit the Ballistic can?

without fan Part Number 5413
with fan Part Number 5416
Old 08-24-2009, 10:09 AM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by olhipster1
Hi,
Just wanted to see if anyone knew if the the current GTB heatsink and fan fit the Ballistic can?

without fan Part Number 5413
with fan Part Number 5416
I think you are asking whether the existing Vel/SS Pro accessories fit the new Ballistic motors. The answer is, yes. A more complete listing of replacement and optional parts for the Ballistics is at the bottom of this page:

Ballistic Spec Motors
Old 08-24-2009, 10:12 AM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by wyd
Well Novak sales are Ballistic in my area now. Had mine 2 weeks and now I had two buddies picks them up, another buddy PMed about getting one and my shop I help out at just got in two Ballistic motors and will be ordering in parts for them as well.

I don't know if the Ballistic is any faster because I never ran another Novak motor but for convience this motor has no equal right now. What other motor can you burn up the winds and order a replacement for 30 bucks!!!!!!!!!! Then buy a different wind for 30 bucks and have a motor for another class. Just excellent engineering on Novaks part and right now the leader of the pack when it comes to this motor and replacement parts. Someone was thinking when making these. Very well thought out.
I am forwarding your comments to Novak employees. Nice to hear that the Ballistic rebuildability options appeal to our customers.
Old 08-24-2009, 02:40 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NovakTwo
I am forwarding your comments to Novak employees. Nice to hear that the Ballistic rebuildability options appeal to our customers.
Great. Look forward to trying out more Novak stuff. I have 20 years worth to catch up on.
Old 08-24-2009, 03:16 PM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

yeh brian, see if i can get a firmware update for my NESC-1 lol

i had to consider that i like 2wd mod, but i run it sparingly at best (at least the cars dont change for years), however TC uses a completely different motor. and a few different 1s at that (not so much 10.5, but 13.5 17.5 and even 21.5). now that i think bout it, scaling back to 10.5 in 2wd mod sometimes is needed.

so i can techincally address this 1 all with 1 can, and for most part 2 winds. for 40bux less on just 2 winds. well seems like a good buy.

R
Old 08-24-2009, 04:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Question, is the rear bearing housed in aluminum this time? I had a problem warping the rear bearing housing in the regular Novak 17.5 which renders then garbage. This usually happens if the motors get a little too hot. Good to see you can buy parts of the motor now instead of a whole new motor. They got some of these motors in at the local hobby shop. But I think they sold out. Awesome concept. I like it.
Old 08-24-2009, 04:35 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JimmyMac
Question, is the rear bearing housed in aluminum this time? I had a problem warping the rear bearing housing in the regular Novak 17.5 which renders then garbage. This usually happens if the motors get a little too hot. Good to see you can buy parts of the motor now instead of a whole new motor. They got some of these motors in at the local hobby shop. But I think they sold out. Awesome concept. I like it.
Yes, the bearing cap is aluminum this time. Plus all of the parts fit absolutely perfect. The fit and finish is the best out at the moment IMO. Also, it's easy to change out worn bearings or change to ceramics.
Old 08-24-2009, 04:59 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Fred_B
Yes, the bearing cap is aluminum this time. Plus all of the parts fit absolutely perfect. The fit and finish is the best out at the moment IMO. Also, it's easy to change out worn bearings or change to ceramics.
Nice!! I fried 2 Novaks (well, 1.5 Novaks.... one still runs, but has a drag brake effect haha, due to slight warping of rear bearing cap), 2 Duo's, and 1 Orion 17.5 this year. This motor might be cheaper for me to maintain!
Old 08-24-2009, 05:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Originally Posted by JimmyMac
Nice!! I fried 2 Novaks (well, 1.5 Novaks.... one still runs, but has a drag brake effect haha, due to slight warping of rear bearing cap), 2 Duo's, and 1 Orion 17.5 this year. This motor might be cheaper for me to maintain!
You have "fried" 5x motors??? I don't know how that's possible if you pay attention to gearing, temps, and lap times.

I've been running Brushless motors since Novak released the SS speed control and motor with Bonded Rotors. To date, I've never "fried" any brand of motor, which includes Novak, Tekin, Trinity, SpeedPassion, and LRP.
Old 08-24-2009, 06:00 PM
Tech Elite

I've been running them that long too. But this year was my first year running 17.5 (previously I've been running 13.5). The first motor to go was the Orion. I geared according to manufacture suggestion. It went within one battery pack. Next 3 motors let go while "testing new software". Two of them was in one day!! Also it was when the track went from 5 minutes to 6 minutes. But also outdoor temps here usually low to high 90°. This last one was the Novak this past weekend. I played gearing safe. And temps were safe. So I thought. Endbell temp was 140~150°ish and 160~170° on the can. But it felt like it had drag brake, even when I turned it off on the esc. Tossed in my Duo and everything is okay.

But don't worry, I was on a loner motor for over a month. I played it safe. But when I have my own motors, I do a lot of "testing".
Old 08-27-2009, 07:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

You have "fried" 5x motors??? I don't know how that's possible if you pay attention to gearing, temps, and lap times.

I've been running Brushless motors since Novak released the SS speed control and motor with Bonded Rotors. To date, I've never "fried" any brand of motor, which includes Novak, Tekin, Trinity, SpeedPassion, and LRP.
LOL, It's called "OVAL RACING"

The OVAL Guys seem to push EVERYTHING right to the edge of it's performance value (and BEYOND) searching for the extra .001 second a lap.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wyd
Tekin RS software V200. 30 Timing with 10 Turbo Boost. Track is 100x47 indoor high bite asphalt. Geared 20/75 at 5.14 in a Team Magic E4. Car was great and a combination of the car cornering well and with the gearing and motor all working together made for an excellent running car for me today.

To be honest as good as my car was I would still like to try the Novak Havok Pro exc wheen available because as nice as the Tekin is sometimes I would like to leave the laptop at home and just gear up and run. All these fance speedos are nice but something to be said about simple and just overall good working speedo. I don't always want to drag the laptop around.
was this 10.5
Old 08-28-2009, 07:51 PM
Tech Addict

Any idea if I could run a Ballistic 13.5 on an XBR esc?
Old 08-28-2009, 07:57 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dawgmeat
was this 10.5
Old 08-28-2009, 08:21 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Metla
Any idea if I could run a Ballistic 13.5 on an XBR esc?
I believe the XBR documentation says it will handle down to 8.5 so you should be fine -- I know local racers are running the XBR/13.5 combo with no problems in both dirt oval and offroad...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.