Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Who can I ship my motor to to get a failure diagnosed? >

Who can I ship my motor to to get a failure diagnosed?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who can I ship my motor to to get a failure diagnosed?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 08:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Questions?? Who can I ship my motor to to get a failure diagnosed?

Hi all

I asked around in specific threads with no success, hopefully someone can help here.

I have a V-spec (the base version) that stopped holding a tune after 1.5gallons. Just impossible to set up, either way too rich or way too lean, the best motor setups gurus at the track can't get it to hold a tune. The piston doesn't move that far up the sleeve, but it seems that most compression is gone anyway. The probable verdict is that this motor swallowed dust, but nothing proves it when it gets disassembled.

So here am I, with a just broken-in AND broken motor that I'd like a reputable motorist to have a look at and help me understand what needs to be done to bring it back to working condition.

What companies provide this kind of service and what kind of experience have you had with them? The motor wasn't sourced in the US, so I'm looking at the "independent" US-based motor gurus here...

Who do you recommend?

Thanks
Paul
Old 07-14-2009, 08:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

http://ebmods.com/Engine%20Service.htm
Old 07-14-2009, 08:18 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

http://powerhousercperformance.com/contactus.php . U can call Mark before U send your engine. He is a great guy to talk to and does excellent work.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:23 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Pro Twister Mods..Brian is the only engine guy you will ever need
Old 07-14-2009, 08:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jaz240
Pro Twister Mods..Brian is the only engine guy you will ever need
+1 on that HE IS THE MAN
Old 07-14-2009, 08:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

If it sucked dirt, the crank would have some radial marks on it below the carb area. Also, the piston/sleeve would have leakdown or fail 3 o'clock test. If everything is good, try it in another car and see if it still has issues. Also check for case crack on the bottom.

Ebmods is good though for checking your VSpec.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:32 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I would try another carb on it.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ezveedub
If it sucked dirt, the crank would have some radial marks on it below the carb area. Also, the piston/sleeve would have leakdown or fail 3 o'clock test. If everything is good, try it in another car and see if it still has issues. Also check for case crack on the bottom.

Ebmods is good though for checking your VSpec.

Thanks all for the input. Much appreciated.

Ezveedub, the crank does show a different surface condition under the carb, but then again I've rarely see a motor which doesn't Can you please explain what the 3 o'clock test is?
Thanks,
Paul (learning the ropes of IC... I miss my electric track to be honest )
Old 07-14-2009, 09:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Lonestar
Thanks all for the input. Much appreciated.

Ezveedub, the crank does show a different surface condition under the carb, but then again I've rarely see a motor which doesn't Can you please explain what the 3 o'clock test is?
Thanks,
Paul (learning the ropes of IC... I miss my electric track to be honest )
Hold the motor by the crank and rotate it till it comes up on compression and hold there with the head sitting a 3 o'clock position. If it has leakage, it will flop over past TDC and sit at 6 o'clock. This means the compression is too low and will need a new p/s set. On the crank, minor marks are fine, but if its completely scared full 360 and you feel them with your finger nail, either dirt entered the motor or the rear bearing is loose, allowing the crank to rub the case.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:04 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-of...labama-19.html
Old 07-14-2009, 10:13 AM
Tech Elite

Not taking away from modders - I know some great ones to, but I would just buy a new engine, there is not one on the planet that can provide a sure answer to what wrong with it. and buy the time they CHARGE you to test and shipping and this and that mod there is no garuntee that it will be fixed.

At worst send it back to OS and they will charge you like 200 and send you a new one......... do you have the reciept from when you brought it...

I fell like if I cant feel confident in a certain part of my truck then I will not be happy at the track.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Have you tried everything and completely eliminated anything but the engine itself from being the problem? ie. replace fuel line, tank, exhaust couplers, glow plug. Have you thoroughly inspected it for air leaks? Does it have a zip tie on the carb boot?

Also does the engine run or does it stall constantly? You said its constantly rich or lean. Does it do it randomly? Are you tuning it and it goes right from one extreme to the other.

My first V-Spec I bought used. I got it in the winter and was running indoors on a small track and it ran perfectly. Then when I went outdoors to bigger tracks it seemed to be too lean but as soon as I richened the high speed even a hair it would fall right on its face. The problem turned out to be the midrange needle being set wrong. It was flush but about 4 oclock moving it to 2 oclock totally changed the engine. I was then able to lean the top end considerably and the engine powerband was much more linear.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

well if you haven't checked pro twister mods(Brian) will do the rest
Old 07-14-2009, 03:37 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

If it is a problem with compression (before you spend 200 on a new p/s), try to get your sleeve pinched, I had one done and for 25 bucks you cannot beat it.

http://www.rayaracing.com/

Great work, great price.

Mike
Old 07-14-2009, 04:28 PM
Tech Elite

Dear sir

Send me an email at [email protected] and we will work on it together and you will learn technical info about 2 stroke engines that no one will ever teach you.

also we can have a video conference through windows live msn
[email protected]

Im sure we can solve it if you have time but also you will learn as well so next time you have problems you will know what to do and you will teach others.

anything you need just let me know

regards Angelo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.