Search

Resetting the Piston and cleaning the air filter

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 08:31 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Resetting the Piston and cleaning the air filter

Hi guys,

I've read that after a run you want to lower the piston to the bottom of the sleeve so it doesn't get pinched at the top as it cools. I read you're supposed to mark a spot on the flywheel so you know where that position is, but how can I verify that the piston is on the bottom? Do I have to take the back plate off to see it?

Also, how do you clean an air filter? What do you soak it in and how do you insure that the dirt goes out rather than deeper in?

Thanks a lot,

-Mike
Old 05-16-2007, 09:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bohh
Hi guys,

I've read that after a run you want to lower the piston to the bottom of the sleeve so it doesn't get pinched at the top as it cools. I read you're supposed to mark a spot on the flywheel so you know where that position is, but how can I verify that the piston is on the bottom? Do I have to take the back plate off to see it?

Also, how do you clean an air filter? What do you soak it in and how do you insure that the dirt goes out rather than deeper in?

Thanks a lot,

-Mike
Yes,you can take the backplate off if you wish. I did mine by feeling it. Basically, its 180 degrees from TDC, so if you take your engine out, turn your engine over to TDC, mark TDC with a sharpie then turn the engine over 180 degrees from there, you should be close.

I use PJ1 air filter cleaner from a local motorcycle shop to clean my filters, then I run the air filter under water with a little bit of dawn soap squeezed into the filter. Then I squeeze the soap carefully out of the filter until it clean water runs out if it.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

The simplest way to figure it out, at the top there will normaly be more pinch when you spin the fly wheel. Leave it where there is virtualy no pinch.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:21 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I just take the pipe off and look in through the exhaust port. It only takes a minute to do. Then I cut a mark on the flywheel rather than using a marker. Marker will just wear off or wash off with nitro fuel.

As for the air filter I just wash it in the sink using Dawn dish soap rinsing from the inside out. Then I oil it with motorcycle air filter oil.
Old 05-24-2007, 06:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (98%+)

For me when I done cleaning of my car I will open up the plug and put after run oil from the plug hole. And from there you already can see the piston is at top or bottom. After move the piston to bottom by turning the flywheel then put back the plug. That all I done it.

As for air filter, I need advise on what type of cheap oil to put on after I done clean the air filter. Which type of oil from our 1/1 scale car can be use/ act as air filter oil. Please advise. Thank in advance.
Old 05-24-2007, 08:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

take the glow plug/cooling head off and poke it down with a paperclip or something.
Old 05-24-2007, 09:08 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 27 (97%+)

after im done runing my nitro r/c .. clean my r/c the put after run oil in the piston ..like 3 drop's and put some after run oil in the carb 3 drop also... pul it over maybe 2-4 time slow... and push the carb open and close 2 time .. to make sure the oil is threw.... i even go as far as put the glow plug in the glow starter to make sure you burn all the fuel off.... i also use dawn soap with water .. let it stay for about 10-15 min.. then reince the filter off with water then dry it with a tawel... then put some filter oil on it ....hope this all help you out...
Old 05-24-2007, 03:59 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)
Talking

all you have to do is make sure that the piston is not in a pinch spot when you shut your engine off bro !!! team kyosho air filter oil works the best after you clean your foams with hot water , dish soap and rub thoroughly , rinse from inside to outside , squeeze with a kitchen towel (dont piss the wife off!) , then let filter sit out until completely dry . oil before assembly of filter !!
later, monty
Old 05-24-2007, 07:31 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

No need to mark anything, just turn the flywheel until it gets loose feeling, continue to turn it until it gets tight again, then turn it back to halfway between where it first got loose and where it got tight again.

As for washing air filter foams, it can be done but why? No matter how you wash it you will never get all the trapped fines out, and with filter foams available for around a buck each, it's just good engine life insurance to simply replace the foams when they get dirty.