Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Losi Truggy

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 12:51 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

OOps from me to. Dam you're fast. If you have the RTR the Mach engins will be fantastic. Mine is 12 gallons old and hasn't been pinched or resleeved. All original. But I think it is losing it's power now a days. But my Mach came in my buggy RTR.
Old 09-14-2007, 12:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Air, if your loosing compression in the mach, just start removing head shim's. itll bring the compression back.
Old 09-14-2007, 01:11 AM
Tech Champion

Ok. Never thought of that either. Won't that run a bit different? I see detonation, but I could be wrong.
Old 09-14-2007, 01:18 AM
Tech Elite

It's not good for it but hey', its got 10 gallons.... Run it till she blow's.....
Old 09-14-2007, 01:27 AM
Tech Champion

I wish I understood the chassis/suspension adjustments better.
Bumpsteer
Camber links
Well, that's it really. I need to research what to expect from the adjustments.
Old 09-14-2007, 05:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Post Chassis setup....

Bumpsteer - in the Losi is on the inner steering link ball placement. If you want the car aggressive when the weight is transferred to the front (ie - under braking) you run the ball in the high position. If you want it a little mellower then you run the ball in the low position. It all has to do with your outside front when you are loaded going into a corner. Set it on your table and check it out. It is a very cool little adjustment.

Camber links - control what is known as roll center. Your tires move up and down with the articulation of the suspension arm. Where that tire rolls over because of the upper link being shorter is your relative roll center. The more you shorten your upper link the lower your roll center is. The tire will gain negative camber quicker as the suspension arm is moved upward. As you side load a given tire, a lower roll center (shorter camber link) will take away (side bite) traction during compression and a longer camber link will increase traction.

Keep in mind this is what makes a car steer, rotate, grab and even traction roll. If you have too long of a link and the tire stays straight up and down you are going to get the side wall effect of the tire you are running. That can be good or bad and is totally dependant on the tires and wheels you run.

Hope this helps,
TEX
<------ We are not done yet!
Old 09-14-2007, 12:07 PM
Tech Champion

Thanx Tex, that was pretty good.
Old 09-15-2007, 04:20 PM
Tech Elite

Tex, Good Luck at RC Pro!!!
Old 09-15-2007, 09:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Red face Long day......

Carl,
It looks like I'm bottom of the B. I have 5 whole tanks of driving on the track right now. We were told that there would be a practice session today from 8 - 9 for the guys that did not get to practice yesterday. I put my car on the track at 8 and they closed the track down right after that.
I got faster every round so its all good.

Car is handeling great.

Losi and Xrays are ruling the roost right now.

Thanks,
TEX
Old 09-16-2007, 02:11 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by babloo
Thanks. In the maunal the setup sheet says bump steer either up or down. What do they mean?
Hi babloo

what they are refering to is the inner ball on the steering arms it has a flange on 1 side of the ball only, that depending on wheather the flange is up or down can effect the bump steer caracteristics by shortening the steering throw at the top or bottom of suspenstion travel ( it makes the steering piont out at the top or bottom of the suspention travel)

tex's post has the examples of how this effects the handling-steering on the Losi's

hope this helps
Adrian

Last edited by RETRO RC; 09-16-2007 at 02:21 AM. Reason: left something out
Old 09-16-2007, 03:37 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by air8
Hey babloo, reading is the best way learn about these vehicles. And don't be afraid to ask. No such thing as a dumb question. Have you raced your truck yet?
Hi. just ran 2 - 3 tanks. The os is fast. Even thou we have not tuned it yet. We have been battling in starting the os thou. The os that i have has to use a starter box. Now since the os is brand new the piston gets tight, which the guys at my hobbie shop said is excellent because of compression. The starter box will not turn turn the motor becuse of this. To overcome this we have to heat the motor with a heat gun or hairdryer and then she will fire up. Must say the 8ight T takes all types of terrains and handles beautifully. Keep you posted once the engine is fully run inn.
Old 09-16-2007, 03:39 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by tex1
Bumpsteer - in the Losi is on the inner steering link ball placement. If you want the car aggressive when the weight is transferred to the front (ie - under braking) you run the ball in the high position. If you want it a little mellower then you run the ball in the low position. It all has to do with your outside front when you are loaded going into a corner. Set it on your table and check it out. It is a very cool little adjustment.

Camber links - control what is known as roll center. Your tires move up and down with the articulation of the suspension arm. Where that tire rolls over because of the upper link being shorter is your relative roll center. The more you shorten your upper link the lower your roll center is. The tire will gain negative camber quicker as the suspension arm is moved upward. As you side load a given tire, a lower roll center (shorter camber link) will take away (side bite) traction during compression and a longer camber link will increase traction.

Keep in mind this is what makes a car steer, rotate, grab and even traction roll. If you have too long of a link and the tire stays straight up and down you are going to get the side wall effect of the tire you are running. That can be good or bad and is totally dependant on the tires and wheels you run.

Hope this helps,
TEX
<------ We are not done yet!
Thanks Tex
Old 09-23-2007, 01:43 PM
Tech Adept

Our friends at crc are fans of the Losi 8ight an 8ightT,they have a fix for the steering rod ends popping off problem..teamcrcdotcom
Old 09-23-2007, 09:55 PM
Tech Champion

Not to burst your bubble, but this was talked about a while back. I personally saw Steve Slayden do this to a truggy he was racing in OKC back in June. It works great. The CRC link has what looks like Traxxas pivot balls which the Revo uses all over the place. A few months ago someone on the Losi 8ight thread posted what they used and it was the 6.8mm inner steering rack pivot balls with a 5-40 screw and 5-40 washer. So simple it's crazy. But when doing this mod the next weakest link is the front inner hinge pin cover. I eventually went to an aluminum front inner cover cause the plastic ones only lasted about 4-5 laps. I have done this to the 8 and 8-T and they are bullet proof ever since. I actually drove my T for 15min. total until I switched it over to the captured rod ends.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:52 AM
Tech Champion

OK. I read something new today. Saw someone on here talking about "vibration problems" on the 8T. Has anybody heard of this before? As far as I know every nitro powered vehicle has vibration problems. But also this "vibration problem" is apparently causing the batteries to fail?!?! I have NO idea when the T started getting blamed for vibration killing batteries.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.