Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Panasonic ULTRA METAL or SANYO HV is better ? >

Panasonic ULTRA METAL or SANYO HV is better ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Panasonic ULTRA METAL or SANYO HV is better ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2002, 02:33 PM
Tech Master

Hi guys. Greetings from Malta.

MATT.

I have found pretty much the same thing with all recent cells. Unlike the old 1700s and later the 2000s which seemed to get better with use, these new 3000s seem great when they are new, but soon start to deteriorate.

There seems to be a pattern. The Panasonic SMH cells loose run time (duration), but stay strong in so far as punch is concerned. The Sanyo RC3000s just lost everything in no time at all. I haven't really had my HVs long enough for them to have gone off noticibly, but a friend tells me his started loosing power after about 20 cycles.

We are not allowed to use 3300s so we have to look out for the best in 3000s, and at the moment it looks like the UMH seems to be the best bet.

Have you any idea how they compare price wise with HVs?

Regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
Old 09-15-2002, 05:46 AM
Tech Regular

I went for a modified race today and found out that Sanyo HV has more punch than that of the panasonic UMH. I do not know why but the car is really punchier with the Sanyo
Old 09-15-2002, 07:18 AM
Tech Master

johnbull, not sure on price really. In the UK cells have a max price on them, so they are all about the same. My guess would be that they are probably a little dearer.
Old 09-15-2002, 09:19 AM
dtm
Tech Champion

The price of loose cells in Hong Kong goes in this order........ (cheapest to most expensive)....

HVs, GP3300, SMH.....

....UMH only available in matched packs!
Old 09-16-2002, 04:21 AM
Tech Regular

JohnBull: I noticed the same. Been running my SMH and HV's since April. Have 1 H also. My HV's and SMH's are all in the 1.138 - 1.144 range 6 packs. 1 Sanyo H and 1 Panasonic 3000 blue. Blue was so bad I sold 2 weeks later. H pack stinks in general Died quick max charge now is 2300 runtime 225sec

My HV's ran great for 2 months, but have started falling off. Numbers were 9.3 - 9.4V and 385-400 sec. I cycled yesterday and number are still 9.3+ but runtime is down 340 - 350. SMH's are still 410+ sec and 9.03V. My next packs will be UMH. 3300's are not legal at the track. Owner talked about this on Saturday.
Old 09-23-2002, 08:18 PM
Tech Regular

Has any of you guys try the 3300 yet ? I heard its IR is lower and has higher voltage. I don't know how true it is though.
Old 09-24-2002, 05:47 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Well, I will try them(I have a couple of packs for my 1/12 scale that came in last week), but it may still be a few weeks before I get to run them(whenever the carpet season gets started), but I will give my impressions of them as soon as I can....
Old 09-24-2002, 07:20 PM
Tech Regular

Okie.... Thanks dude
Old 09-24-2002, 09:23 PM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by johnbull
Hi guys. Greetings from Malta.

MATT.

I have found pretty much the same thing with all recent cells. Unlike the old 1700s and later the 2000s which seemed to get better with use, these new 3000s seem great when they are new, but soon start to deteriorate.

There seems to be a pattern. The Panasonic SMH cells loose run time (duration), but stay strong in so far as punch is concerned. The Sanyo RC3000s just lost everything in no time at all. I haven't really had my HVs long enough for them to have gone off noticibly, but a friend tells me his started loosing power after about 20 cycles.

We are not allowed to use 3300s so we have to look out for the best in 3000s, and at the moment it looks like the UMH seems to be the best bet.

Have you any idea how they compare price wise with HVs?

Regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
i just want some durable cells that wouldnt deteriorate that quickly. should i go and buy some 2000 or 2400 nicads instead of going to nimh? i just bash and i dont like having to discharge my battery all the way but i rather do basic maintenance like discharging than having a pack go deteriorate on me after 10 to 20 cycles.