Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ask Steve "The Evicerator" Weiss

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 02:48 AM
Tech Regular

Mr. Steeve,

Are you guys at novak working on a new system for 1/8 scale stuff? I would like to see at least a 2000kv motor. I have a really old HV system that needs repair it came with 4400kv motor can I send it for repair and get a newer version motor and ESC?
Old 10-22-2009, 08:15 AM
The Evicerator

We are always working on new things around here!

Regarding your current equipment, you can always send your equipment in for replacement and sometimes for upgrade depending on the equipment.

With the HV system, not much has changed over the years. We do have a Pro version of the HV controller that is our latest offering. The motors were upgraded from the originals with ribbed end bells and sintered rotors.
Old 11-02-2009, 06:24 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

Hey Oh Weiss One,

I've picked up my first Ballistic motors and see they have timing marks. iir you'd said the SS's were basically neutral timed using the high-tech equipment there at Novak for some optimum and that "neutral" position generally has some timing in it. Is the same true for the Ballistic motors? Guessing maybe you find the same optimum position and then apply the timing mark sticker so at that position the "Neutral" mark lines up with the pointer? I guess my main question/concern is that "Neutral" is not "zero", right, that there is some amount of timing "built in" at that neutral setting? I just want to be VERY careful not to burn up a motor as I've seen plenty o' folks do boosting their Tekin's to "kill" and cranking their motors.

Thanks!
Old 11-02-2009, 08:09 AM
Tech Regular

hi steve

do u have any pics of the kinetic on a touring car?
wonder how big it actually looks on a car? coz the dimension is abt 4x3cm, rather big

btw, still no news on the product release date? scheduled to release this yr?

thx
Old 11-02-2009, 08:27 AM
The Evicerator

Originally Posted by Scottrik
Hey Oh Weiss One,

I've picked up my first Ballistic motors and see they have timing marks. iir you'd said the SS's were basically neutral timed using the high-tech equipment there at Novak for some optimum and that "neutral" position generally has some timing in it. Is the same true for the Ballistic motors? Guessing maybe you find the same optimum position and then apply the timing mark sticker so at that position the "Neutral" mark lines up with the pointer? I guess my main question/concern is that "Neutral" is not "zero", right, that there is some amount of timing "built in" at that neutral setting? I just want to be VERY careful not to burn up a motor as I've seen plenty o' folks do boosting their Tekin's to "kill" and cranking their motors.

Thanks!
The timing on the Ballistics is set to the same point as on the SS Pro motors, 30 ACTUAL degrees. Not to be confused with the "degrees" on some of the other motors out there...

Every tick mark on the label is 5 degrees.

Originally Posted by taz5176
hi steve

do u have any pics of the kinetic on a touring car?
wonder how big it actually looks on a car? coz the dimension is abt 4x3cm, rather big

btw, still no news on the product release date? scheduled to release this yr?

thx
Hey Taz,

Unfortunately I really don't have any good pictures of the kinetic in a touring car. It's relatively the same size as the GTB, just a little narrower in one direction over-all.

We still do not have a hard release date.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:12 PM
Tech Regular

thx steve
really hope to see some dates, coming back to ep after couple of years, looking for a esc
Old 11-04-2009, 10:35 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Steve,

A question about the Ballistic BL motor size....

I've noticed that some cars designed for brushed motors are a little too tight for some BL motors. Also, some 1/12 pan cars now have a pod upgrade to fit BLs.

However, I noticed that the Ballistic motors are shaped differently on the end more like a brushed motor. Does this mean that the Ballistic motors are designed to fit anywhere a brushed motor fits without having to upgrade to a BL friendly motor pod?

I'm looking to put a BL in my 1/12 which was originally designed for a brushed motor. I was wondering if I can go with the Ballistic without having to upgrade the pod for BL.

Thanks for your help.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:36 AM
The Evicerator

Originally Posted by YR4Dude
Steve,

A question about the Ballistic BL motor size....

I've noticed that some cars designed for brushed motors are a little too tight for some BL motors. Also, some 1/12 pan cars now have a pod upgrade to fit BLs.

However, I noticed that the Ballistic motors are shaped differently on the end more like a brushed motor. Does this mean that the Ballistic motors are designed to fit anywhere a brushed motor fits without having to upgrade to a BL friendly motor pod?

I'm looking to put a BL in my 1/12 which was originally designed for a brushed motor. I was wondering if I can go with the Ballistic without having to upgrade the pod for BL.

Thanks for your help.
The Ballistic was shaped differently to allow it to fit in tighter places, but I think the BL specific pods are not only bigger to allow for the physical fit of the motors in them, but also have the motor positioned differently due to the higher weight of the brushless motors.

In this regard, the Ballistic motor is similar to other brushless motors: it still weighs more than most brushed motors.
Old 11-05-2009, 11:55 AM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Steve Weiss
The timing on the Ballistics is set to the same point as on the SS Pro motors, 30 ACTUAL degrees. Not to be confused with the "degrees" on some of the other motors out there...

Every tick mark on the label is 5 degrees.

Hey Steve I think mine and his or our question is this, where is the neutural timing on the Ballistic motor, meaning point where forward and reverse have same torque / RPM.

after I read few pages on the Novak site I found "1st tick on the lable is about 5deg" is that mena to get the neutural timing we have to set em out of the timing lable?

I think the Novak team will play around with the motor timing with this new ESC, and that bring a question, would you set the motor timing at "neutural" then play with the ESC boost through Nova link? or would you keetp that 30deg "N" timing on a motor then adjust the new ESC around? for the TC that is.

keep up the good work.

JL
Old 11-05-2009, 04:13 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Steve; Does the new Kinnetic ESC work with the single cell cars? Either by it self or do you need the smart booster or the use of a reciever pack? When will it be available by itself (without motor) and what is the cost?
Old 11-09-2009, 02:24 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default MW2

steve

we gonna see you on Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2?

- chris
Old 11-09-2009, 02:58 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hebiki
steve

- chris
Ahem..stick to the topic Chris!!!

I wish the Pc version allowed dedicated servers! BOO!
Old 11-09-2009, 03:04 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by charlie_b
Ahem..stick to the topic Chris!!!

I wish the Pc version allowed dedicated servers! BOO!
isnt the topic.. "ask steve weiss".. i asked him a question.

CB.. save up and get an xbox
Old 11-09-2009, 04:27 PM
The Evicerator

Originally Posted by da_John_wee
Hey Steve I think mine and his or our question is this, where is the neutural timing on the Ballistic motor, meaning point where forward and reverse have same torque / RPM.

after I read few pages on the Novak site I found "1st tick on the lable is about 5deg" is that mena to get the neutural timing we have to set em out of the timing lable?

I think the Novak team will play around with the motor timing with this new ESC, and that bring a question, would you set the motor timing at "neutural" then play with the ESC boost through Nova link? or would you keetp that 30deg "N" timing on a motor then adjust the new ESC around? for the TC that is.

keep up the good work.

JL
We will probably start out with the timing at the N which is about 30 degrees of actual timing.

Most other motors say they are set at "zero", but their zero generally tends to be around 35-40 degrees of timing... so it can get a little confusing.

I would recommend to just leave the timing where it is at and go from there, making small increases on the motor or via the ESC as needed.

Originally Posted by BullFrog
Steve; Does the new Kinnetic ESC work with the single cell cars? Either by it self or do you need the smart booster or the use of a reciever pack? When will it be available by itself (without motor) and what is the cost?
The Kinetic will initially be released being optimized for use with a booster or receiver pack. We may release a 1 cell specific version at some point in the future.

I'm not sure about availability yet, sorry

Originally Posted by Hebiki
steve

- chris
Do you REALLY want to see me on there? All you'll see is some muzzle flash and then a replay of me smoking you

Seriously though, I will probably pick it up soon... I don't have it on pre-order though... so we'll see... besides, I have been busy with Borderlands and have a few things to button up there first
Old 11-09-2009, 11:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Steve Weiss
We will probably start out with the timing at the N which is about 30 degrees of actual timing.

Most other motors say they are set at "zero", but their zero generally tends to be around 35-40 degrees of timing... so it can get a little confusing.

I would recommend to just leave the timing where it is at and go from there, making small increases on the motor or via the ESC as needed.

The Kinetic will initially be released being optimized for use with a booster or receiver pack. We may release a 1 cell specific version at some point in the future.

I'm not sure about availability yet, sorry

Do you REALLY want to see me on there? All you'll see is some muzzle flash and then a replay of me smoking you

Seriously though, I will probably pick it up soon... I don't have it on pre-order though... so we'll see... besides, I have been busy with Borderlands and have a few things to button up there first

*readies the RPG and Noob t00b*

Get it for PC! No need to pre-order, not like PC games fly off shelves

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.