Search

New to 1/8 scale nitro

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 06:27 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default New to 1/8 scale nitro

Is is worth bying a used 1/8 buggy.
Example Muggen MBX5, losi Eight, hot bodies D8.

Never Ran 1/8 scale before or Nitro.
Old 07-29-2009, 06:31 PM
Tech Elite

i wouldnt buy used anything

look at the Losi 8ight 2.0 RTR
Old 07-29-2009, 06:52 PM
Tech Addict

Under normal circumstances, I wouldn't. Unless you know who you're buying it from pretty well, and know they ain't gonna shaft you. When you buy used, you never know what parts are ready to break. On the flip side, if you're new to the hobby, you're probably gonna break something anyway. you just have to weigh the pros and cons. I definitely wouldn't buy a used engine, thats always asking for problems.
Old 07-29-2009, 06:52 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by imaxx21
i wouldnt buy used anything

look at the Losi 8ight 2.0 RTR
+1
every used car seems to, "only have two gallons on it".
Old 07-29-2009, 07:07 PM
Tech Initiate

I wouldn't buy used because most of the time it wont be a good buy. At least it hasn't been with me. So if I were you just buy new. I recently just bought the losi 8ight 2.0 rtr and I love it. If you got the money you should go with that.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:11 PM
Tech Champion

If a used car looks new, I mean shiny new. Its still only worth half of what it was new. If it has some wear and tear its less. Anyone looking to get 2/3 of their $ back on a used car are just nuts.

I've got no problems low balling a roller on e-bay if its going to be used for parts, but I'd avoid used otherwise.

Besides, according to your sig your not new to rc, just nitro.

I'd get a fresh Xray or Mugen, but would recommend a sport level engine 'til your used to engine tuneing. Ex: Novarossi N21b.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:09 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks fo rthe replies, it looks like I need to think about it further.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:13 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

I bought a used FT RC8 from a local guy and am glad I did. But if you buy a new one dont be cheap! you really get what you pay for. I love my RC8, And also hear the losi 2.0 RTR is a good way to go as well.

Nick
Old 07-30-2009, 02:05 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

iwould think about getting a second hand car if you ether no the person or trust them.

i bought my first car which lasted 3 days before the piston chiped and destroyed the engine.

my second car was second hand and that colt lasted 2 months before it finaly gave up.

i no the person that i bought it off and that was a bad thing because i herd the crap that the colt went throught (jumped, 5 bodies destroyed, run on the bear rims, dif rebuild 7 times, radio gear lost, left in rain) just to name a few but this car kept going way longer than i thought if would. only died because i left it a bit to long without after run and the engine had rusted and the heat sink srew had bent.
Old 07-30-2009, 02:59 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

I have never had a out of the box new car. It's to easy to find good deals on basically new cars. I would not buy used over the internet that's a crap shoot. My rules are if I cant see it before I buy it it's a NO!!!! Chassis wear is a dead give away to how much run has been put on a car. Might of fact that's my #1 pet pet peeve. I don't want a scratched up chassis. I generally always look for a used car with spare parts. Engines are a definite never buy used what ever gallons they say they got on it. You can square that number and times it by 3!!

The easiest cars to find good used deals on. Are when new models come out everyone rushes out to buy one. Just to find out that model is not for there driving style. Those things be on sell like there going out of style.

Never buy used = engines, servos there life expectancy is short to start with.

Buy used with caution = cars and radios there life expectancy is long especially when well taken care of. No matter how good the used car appears to be. Always take it completely apart and reassemble. replacing all bearings and fluids even if the fluids appear to be fresh. If your not willing to do this part RC is not the hobby for you.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

The problem with any company who does not offer a rtr is the cost. Even if you go cheap stuff your still going to end up with a big cost. I mean still not to bad for what you get but for someone new $1500 seems like a ton.

Buggy $500

Engine $200

Servos $160 minimum

Starter Box w/ battery $80-$100

battery pack(rx) $20

Radio $200

Pipe $40

We have had several of the new Losi RTR's through the speed shop. Matter of fact I ran one recently at a race. Stock this thing is competitive and durable.

The customers who sent them in to me priced several of the major online shops and I think most found www.carolinasrc.com to be the cheapest. I'm gonna say it was under $600 for the car, radio, starter box, rx, battery, pipe, etc. All you need to do is grab a cheap charger, and a gallon of fuel.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:09 AM
Tech Elite

if I sold you my buggy right now you will be pissed off when you get it. It looks good, but its blowed the F out. You will spend more money in replacing something than a new on cost.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:17 AM
Tech Elite

ABurton, I am confused by your post.....It seems like you are going one way, and then another, and back again?

But yes, there are rtrs out there that are competitive on the track, Losi is not the only one.

A person needs to decide how involved they want to get beforehand. Most people who start do get a rtr and put it on the track. If they can control it, etc... then they usually upgrade to a pro kit and better parts. I think no matter what brand the rtr, people should take the steering servo and move it to throttle and then buy a nice steering servo. Then at least they have something more durable. It is the weak spot for any manufacturer.