Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Serpent 710

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2004, 02:10 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by speedy100
yes, it's Squat and the price 5X is only the big bearing inside the crank case....
Boca's prices for the big bearing is USD 41.95 and USD 34.95 on the smaller front bearing.
Old 06-01-2004, 02:21 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by InitialD
Apparently the composite ones provide more consistant performance...
Yes, Mark Green says they're more consistent too.
Old 06-01-2004, 02:35 AM
Tech Elite

D, Mark forgot to mention to you that with his LSN only at 1.25 turns out, he is having to use 0.5mm of gap in the carb (Idle speed).

I think this is why his engine idles nicely but as soon as touches his throttle to speed up the engine gurgles and bogs down ... the HSN is richer than it should be to compensate for the small gap.

Right now if he leans the LSN further it doesn't help the bogging down issue right?
Old 06-01-2004, 02:40 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Texas Biggie News at Mytsn

Brandon McNally took the lead immediately with his Serpent 710 and never looked back. Starting from third grid position Brandon timed the start perfectly and was in the lead at the first turn. He never gave up the lead for the entire race. Brandon dominated the field with a 10 lap cushion at the end of the one hour A-Main. Normally this class is so close and competitive, yet Brandon averaged lapping the field every 6 minutes. Brandon’s Serpent 710 was equipped with the latest NovaMega SS-12 3 port turbo engine. The horsepower was transferred to the Ellegi six spoke wheels that provided the grip and durability for the one hour main with no tire changes. Congradulation to Brandon and his very fast Serpent 710.

A new era begins with the new kid on the Serpent Team USA.

Old 06-01-2004, 02:47 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Sow&Steady
D, Mark forgot to mention to you that with his LSN only at 1.25 turns out, he is having to use 0.5mm of gap in the carb (Idle speed).

I think this is why his engine idles nicely but as soon as touches his throttle to speed up the engine gurgles and bogs down ... the HSN is richer than it should be to compensate for the small gap.

Right now if he leans the LSN further it doesn't help the bogging down issue right?
Yep, this is true. But when I find that the engine gurgles and cuts out - if I lean the LSN (that's why it's at 1.25 turns out) then I can run ok.

Thanks to Sow, I'm getting to know how to setup the engine better - I think it all started by running the LSN rich, but with too low an idle speed. As soon as I took the glow plug driver away the engine died - I assumed this meant that the LSN was too rich, but Sow was saying that it is probably just that I don't have the idle set high enough.
This then led me to having a pretty lean LSN - and then when I pressed the throttle at bit and the engine cut out, I was thinking the LSN was still too lean and I leaned it further. Until it would pick up - but it looks like it was the HSN all along.

Cheers, Mark.
Old 06-01-2004, 02:48 AM
Tech Prophet

I guess it's best to set the idle back to 1 mm thereabouts, reset the LSN and HSN and start back again. If done correct, it'll be spot on most of the time.

I took out my STS engine after keeping it aside for some time and decided to run it on the 710. I had a hell of a time tuning it. Told myself just go back to stock rich setting and set it from there. Bang. It was spot on after that.
Old 06-01-2004, 02:52 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by FW05R
I was reading the s710 black book from the link above me and I was thinking do you really need to mod this car this much to get it working properly or is this guy just Hardcore?
FW05, not hardcore ... perfection

Believe it or not, I've driven my 710 for nearly a year and done 6 big races. I have never broken the front shock shafts. One rear one broke when it was thumped at full speed by another car during a race. It was hard enough to drive my car into the boards and that impact cracked the upper bumper plate (that's how hard it was).

The rest are good performance enhancing mods done to perfection. You don't need to do these to be competitive right out of the box.

I recommend doing these mods when you've exhausted the car's abilities and used the really good set-up guide that comes with the kit. Do them at your next major rebuild .. I'm doing some of them right now.

Just my 2-cents.
Old 06-01-2004, 02:59 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by markp27
This then led me to having a pretty lean LSN - and then when I pressed the throttle at bit and the engine cut out, I was thinking the LSN was still too lean and I leaned it further. Until it would pick up - but it looks like it was the HSN all along.
Did you do the pinch test Mark? The other way to check the LSN is to determine if the engien can idle for about 20 to 30 seconds or so after a good rev and you're able to give it a good hard rev without the engine stalling afterwards. If it gurgles and stalls, then the LSN is on the rich side.

The way I described earlier is to set the LSN in the ball park after richening it. This is done with the idle set to open about 1 mm thereabouts at neutral position. Once that is gotten, then start to lean out the HSN till you get very crisp high revs. Put the car on track to tune further. Adjust the HSN, LSN and the idle screw 5 to minutes plus minus to get you the correct setting.

It is important to set the idle correct at about 1 mm opening or so. Once that is set, you only need to play around plus minus 10 minute needle movements to tune the idle. That's all. If you're on the rich side on the LSN, the engine will not idle well and you will tend to open the idle bigger. This will come to a point where the engine will overheat because of too much air going into the engine at idle.
Old 06-01-2004, 03:00 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Texas Biggie 2004

Originally posted by HELLION
WAS THAT A SHOT AT ME??? AND MY BODS??? LOL... I WOULD NEVER BREAK THE RULES "Da Hellion"
Aha! *SowSteady** claims his fame by managing to "draw out" Hellion who claimed he would NEVER come back to this forum!

Well no Hellion, not a shot at you at all ... more a shot at some of my compatriots back home .. you should see some the wing mods on their Stratus. I guaratee you even Protoform will dispute that it was their bodyshell!

Anyway, I don't think you should take those guys in the other thread too seriously. You come on back and show us your innovative body work.
Old 06-01-2004, 03:02 AM
Tech Adept

Default Wear on Diff axle

Does anybody have extreem wear on their Diff axles and on the pins on the driveshafts?
Mine are already wornout and i haven't run more than 6 liters, also i'm not the only one with this problem on my track.
I want to know if this only appearce on a high speed track (like mine) or also on technical short tracks?

I wish Hudy will make some upgrades for Serpent soon.
In the meantime if taken out the pins from my Impulse Pro shafts and put them in my 710 shafts
Old 06-01-2004, 03:03 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by GoldFinger
Till now, Im very satisfied with the stock RR12L3.
Just need to try to equip it with ceramic bearing
Murnan believes this engine is the punchiest one he has ever tried. Is this your experience too?
Old 06-01-2004, 03:03 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by speedy100
anyone tried the NS15 S5 ? i am going to break in this motor in the weekend..........
Now now now ... that can't be legal .
Old 06-01-2004, 03:08 AM
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Wear on Diff axle

Originally posted by Schrijver99
Does anybody have extreem wear on their Diff axles and on the pins on the driveshafts?
Mine are already wornout and i haven't run more than 6 liters, also i'm not the only one with this problem on my track.
I want to know if this only appearce on a high speed track (like mine) or also on technical short tracks?
Yes, these are the outdrive wear on the rear ball diff that myself and crashed_1 was talking about a few pages ago. The dogbone pins create a dimple in the outdrives and makes the rear end of the car "jump" when you gas on the starter box. It will come very bad when the car will start to vibrate and hop on the track. At the end, this dimple will somehow lock the dogbone side play movement and binds the rear suspension. So for no apparent reason, your rear end will spin out.

Originally posted by Schrijver99
I wish Hudy will make some upgrades for Serpent soon.
In the meantime if taken out the pins from my Impulse Pro shafts and put them in my 710 shafts
Are the pins on the PRO shafts better? I actually do not have any problems on the pins of the 710 dogbones. Just the outdrives.
Old 06-01-2004, 03:11 AM
Tech Regular

Believe it or not, I've driven my 710 for nearly a year
I don't believe it.
Old 06-01-2004, 03:11 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by KevinS
I don't believe it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.