Community
Wiki Posts
Search

.21 vspec VS novarossi p5

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 12:25 AM
Tech Initiate

Default .21 vspec VS novarossi p5

Hey guys i just got a new mayfield championship edition truggy and im looking for a .21 motor to put into my truck. However I keep on hearing good things about the vspec as well as the novarossi p5. I plan on racing this season and would like to know which motor would be best for my truggy. any suggestions. thanks
Old 01-20-2010, 01:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default great pics...

Really both engines would be perfect. I like the p5 because it pulls hard and has plenty of torque and lasts forever in the tough on engine class of truggy, but if you want to have plenty of rpm's the v spec has an extra gear it seems. It doesn't last as long or is as reliable as a Novarossi...
Old 01-20-2010, 06:26 PM
Tech Addict

I would go with the P5. I've ran them both. It will last 10 times longer than a V-spec. Very dependable motor, great power too.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:31 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

+1 to both posts above.

There are other engines that are less spendy that are also good... Werks B5, Alpha S852...
Old 01-20-2010, 09:13 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

lol another thread on this? there's got to be 2 threads already

+1 Vspec
Old 01-20-2010, 09:22 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tony Newland
lol another thread on this? there's got to be 2 threads already

+1 Vspec
they will never end Tony moroni!!

nitro challenge ? yes , no?

haven't seen ya in a while
Old 01-20-2010, 09:44 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

no kidding....

No NC. Not sure what races I'll end up at this year..... planning on the Nats for sure, Man Cup (if), probably the Hank again and our local points series through the summer.....might run a pro series round or two

All depends on work and how the fishing goes this year

How about you?
Old 01-20-2010, 10:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Both engines are very easy to tune and they both perform very well. The Vspec has more low end initial punch where as the P5 comes in a little smoother but still has plenty of punch. The P5 will last alot longer than the vspec if treated properly. I can't say much about the B5 or Alpha line as I have not run them but so far guys are liking them alot but when it comes to track reputation over the years, the P5 has more than all 3 of them combined. The B5 and Alpha line does look good from a stand point but ask around in 6 months or so and see if guys are still raving about them. They might and they might not. Time will tell but one thing is for sure, the P5 will still be there and still running with and outlasting most. If you want a P5, i have them in stock and can hook you up with a great deal.
Old 01-21-2010, 01:15 AM
Tech Elite

Default well put man

Mr Powerhouse.... I'm obsessed with p5's....
Old 01-21-2010, 09:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

I have both and interchange them depending on the track and what I need out of my Buggy or Truggy for a given race. The P5XS is smooth with an 086 pipe, powerful, and gives good runtimes. OS VPEC is perfect with a 2050 pipe as well but doesn't have the grunt of the P5 in my opinion. I haven't had any problems with either engine but I've only run about two gallons through the Vspec as compared to 5 through the P5. Both are more than enough to win if you can drive and will treat you well as long as you take care of them.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DOMIT
+1 to both posts above.

There are other engines that are less spendy that are also good... Werks B5, Alpha S852...
Dude your avatar is the money shot!!
Old 01-21-2010, 09:40 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The P5 is a very stout motor. The fuel mileage is very respectable and the power is smooth from bottom to top. I currently run a powerhouse modded P5 and love it. Last season i ran a powerhouse v-spec and it was sweet while it lasted but died after about 4 gallons. I prefer the p5 over the v-spec because the power is similar but lasted a lot longer.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:11 PM
Tech Elite

Default Another thing....

The p5 has so much torque that you don't have to lean it up to get power, it runs fine a little fat here or there, and it never flames, if you are on a slick track you can fatten up the top a little and get the bottom just perfect with a low idle and it just runs great, and if the track is high bite or loamy and wet it can be tuned to scream and account for the extra rolling resistance. I would like to get a p5xls and have it modded for more top end and fuel mileage if that's possible, that would be the best of both worlds....If it seems to top out early due to the torque you can gear up one tooth on the bell for larger tracks and go back to the stock gearing for medium or smaller tracks, or up to reduce a bit of torque on slippery tracks...With all that torque it helps to go thicker on the center diff oil too, i use 10,000 in my 808 it seems to keep the center diff fresh longer during long mains, and it clears jumps better too. Try the mc-8 plug it seems to work great in that engine, just my experience....I try to go as cold as possible while still getting great idle and so on...So the medium plugs work good, the nova 6 special plug is ok, it lasts a long time, but the mc8 just keeps it running during pit stops when cold gas hits it during the long main. It runs around 200-225. Silly consistent over the gallons.....
Old 01-21-2010, 02:14 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Originally Posted by merdith6
The p5 has so much torque that you don't have to lean it up to get power, it runs fine a little fat here or there, and it never flames, if you are on a slick track you can fatten up the top a little and get the bottom just perfect with a low idle and it just runs great, and if the track is high bite or loamy and wet it can be tuned to scream and account for the extra rolling resistance. I would like to get a p5xls and have it modded for more top end and fuel mileage if that's possible, that would be the best of both worlds....If it seems to top out early due to the torque you can gear up one tooth on the bell for larger tracks and go back to the stock gearing for medium or smaller tracks, or up to reduce a bit of torque on slippery tracks...With all that torque it helps to go thicker on the center diff oil too, i use 10,000 in my 808 it seems to keep the center diff fresh longer during long mains, and it clears jumps better too. Try the mc-8 plug it seems to work great in that engine, just my experience....I try to go as cold as possible while still getting great idle and so on...So the medium plugs work good, the nova 6 special plug is ok, it lasts a long time, but the mc8 just keeps it running during pit stops when cold gas hits it during the long main. It runs around 200-225. Silly consistent over the gallons.....