Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Voltage Cutoff in a Starter Box

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 10:02 AM
Tech Adept

Default Voltage Cutoff in a Starter Box

Been trying to find if anyone ever actually wired a low voltage cutoff into a starter box. So far couldn't find anything except for opinions that you probably don't need it. So I guess the question still stands, has anyone ever done it? If so, could you post a wiring diagram? Thanks.
Old 09-15-2009, 02:29 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by khudzik
Been trying to find if anyone ever actually wired a low voltage cutoff into a starter box. So far couldn't find anything except for opinions that you probably don't need it. So I guess the question still stands, has anyone ever done it? If so, could you post a wiring diagram? Thanks.

you dont "NEED" a cut off on a starter box really....as long as you dont run it for a month strait and expect it to start a stubborn motor tank after tank after tank.....pending on the Mah you CAN go multiple race days on a single charge....but other thing's will factor in....does your motor start with little effort....or do you have to ram it multiple time's to get it to fire.......If there's anything that i would recommend running as a backup for a lipo on starter box duties would be a lipo Monitor(link below) basically it monitor's the cell's voltage and know's when you need to charge it and it will audibly warn you as well as LED's to tell you the status of the pack...there Cheap insurance...i run one in my box.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Maxpro-4S-Lipo-B...d=p3286.c0.m14
Old 09-15-2009, 02:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

That's about like the one I got from ebay, has not arrived yet but it's just for extra protection.
Old 09-15-2009, 02:40 PM
Tech Lord

they are worth their weight in gold if you ask me....its saved a couple buddy's lipo's from puffage

If you want to be real safe about it....Charge the pack After Every day event and monitor how many Mah the pack take's....and remember roughly how many time's you started your car...then factor that into a full weekend of running...you should be able to figure out if you'll need to recharge before the Sunday A-main's.
Old 09-15-2009, 02:46 PM
Tech Master

I just charged my 2200 4S pack and it took 497 mah and I started the car 10 times, I think I charged it before the day started
Old 09-15-2009, 03:02 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OfnaJoe
I just charged my 2200 4S pack and it took 497 mah and I started the car 10 times, I think I charged it before the day started
wow , super cool 49.7 Mah each start

i still want a cutoff in my starter box so who makes the cutoff
Old 09-15-2009, 03:03 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by OfnaJoe
and hows the engine ?
Old 09-15-2009, 03:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I use two $9 1500 mah nicads 7.2 packs. I charge them perhaps once every two to three race nights. I didn't realize this was a problem that needed solving still.
Old 09-15-2009, 03:09 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

what if you absolutly need to start the engine but your cut of won't let you?

why not a monitor

I run a voltage monitor that's hard wired on the starterbox wiring.
solid blue when full charge
blinking blue when 3.9+
blinking red when 3.7+
solid red when 3.4+
beeping and solid red when 3.1

i have 2 2650 mah packs in the box, switch to other fresh one when it gets to blinking red.
Old 09-15-2009, 03:11 PM
Tech Addict

To actually have a cutoff would mean you would have to pass the curent thru some type circuit that could be over ridden when the voltage got low. Cost would most likely equal the price of the battery pack. Charge fairly often or get a voltage monitor.

A 2,000 pack should last for weeks if:
1. the engine starts quickly
2. the starter box motor, belts and wheel is in good shape
3. everything is lined up so the starter wheel is ONLY touchng the flywheel.

Most of the people that call their starter box junk can't get items 1 and/or 3 right.
Old 09-15-2009, 03:11 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by devilchrist
what if you absolutly need to start the engine but your cut of won't let you?

why not a monitor

I run a voltage monitor that's hard wired on the starterbox wiring.
solid blue when full charge
blinking blue when 3.9+
blinking red when 3.7+
solid red when 3.4+
beeping and solid red when 3.1

i have 2 2650 mah packs in the box, switch to other fresh one when it gets to blinking red.
there are lipo accidents

and because even when heated a new engine can take a bit to fire off

and i do alot of engine break ins , wore the truggy box down in about an hour before

who makes the lipo cutoff for 14.8v pack ?
Old 09-15-2009, 03:13 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by houston
and hows the engine ?
GREAT, WOWIE, YIPEEE, REALLY REALLY GOOD
And Congrats on your RCPRO finishes way to go, seen the pics that Rev posted on Nitro addicts, and this is the cut-off\alarm I got coming:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT
Old 09-15-2009, 04:05 PM
Tech Lord

houston dont bother with a cut off....the monitor's are more then enough...and if your still scared then get a 5000mah 4 cell for 80$ from Hobby king and Forget about charging every week.
Old 09-15-2009, 04:38 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

I was concerned at 1st when I switched to lipo and now after using lipo for 6 months I am not concerned at all anymore I will charge the night before race day and theres no prob. I have even let it go 2 days when I go to 2 day events and no prob at all. I use losi lipos so I dont want to lose one but so far no need to use a cut off. Running a buggy and truggy now and one lipo is all I need for the day. I cary a backup just in case you never know. I had the old losi box take a dump, heat up and try to short out a lipo, drained it down to 11.5 volts, way to low for a 4 cel, and charged it back up no problems. Been using the same lipo that dumped for 6 months now. I love these lipos. I started using them in the receiver packs too and theres no need for a cut off just change after every race day, they arent even 1/2 used. Why install another component that can fail and cause a dnf.
Old 09-15-2009, 04:54 PM
Tech Lord

Frank do you "store" your packs...or re-peak and leave them till the next race day ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.