Search

Gearing?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 03:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Gearing?

Hi,

I have a twelve turn speed gems motor. I'm not sure what type of pinion to use. I have a 17 tooth, would that work? Also I have heard that you should have your pinion 2 teeth below the number of turns in your motor, by that I would need a 10 tooth pinion. This sounds low to me. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 12-14-2008, 03:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

You can throw out the idea of having a pinion sized based on your motor turn count.

First, what kind of driving do you do? Racing? What is your car and what is your spur-gear size?

I run a 11x2 turn brushed motor in my son's Associated B4. it is setup with a 19/87 gear ratio and that's find for most tracks but you'd want to adjust gearing based on how you use it. If you want to try your 17T pinion, see how hot your motor gets after a few minutes. If it is really hot - you're probably over-geared. You can go either a higher spur-gear size or lower pinion. You can try 16T and 15T and so on. It's good to have more gears around just to adjust as you need to since there is no "perfectly right" gear setting but there are a few levels of wrong gearing (too high and too low).
Old 12-14-2008, 03:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks, I have a duratrax evader ext and I will be mostly bashing. This weekend though I'll be going to the track for some racing.
Old 12-14-2008, 06:38 PM
Tech Fanatic

Any other gearing suggestions