Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree346Likes

Mugen MBX8

Hide Wikipost
Old 05-31-2019, 05:05 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Mugen MBX8
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: E1 Diablo
E2025 - MBX8 Worlds Edition - April, 2019

MUGE0240: Wide Offset Wheel Hubs 1mm 2pcs; The 1mm wide offset wheel hubs will increase stability and cornering.
MUGE2146: Inline Front Uprights; The E2146 inline front uprights have smoother steering compared to the stock E2147 trailing front uprights and work great in high traction conditions. E2146 uprights can be used with both CVA and universal style driveshafts.
MUGE2168: -3mm Front Upright Arm; The -3mm front upright arm improves the initial steering response and make the vehicle more stable through the middle and exit of the corner.. The new upright arms also reduce bump steer and make the vehicle more predictable in bumpy conditions.
MUGE2235: 46T Spur Gear; The 46 tooth HTD spur gear provides a great balance of acceleration and top-end speed.
MUGE2252: 12T Pinion Gear
MUGE2254: 42T Conical Gear; The optional 12T bevel gear when used with the 42T conical gear will change the final drive ratio and increase acceleration.
MUGE2260: Center Joint Cup.
MUGE2261: Center Front Dog Bone (84.5mm)
MUGE2262: Center Rear Dog Bone (115mm); The front and rear-center dogbones for the MBX8 reduce friction from the stock universal driveshafts. Less friction will give the vehicle a more efficient drivetrain, increase acceleration, and provide more traction. The dog bones are lightweight, durable, and will increase traction.
MUGE2428: Rear Wing Stay +15mm; The +15mm wing mount has more adjustment and will help increase mid corner rotation and be more stable in high speed conditions.

E2021 - MBX8 1/8 Nitro Buggy Kit

Chassis:
The MBX8 chassis features a new design that improves traction and stability in bumpy conditions and on the exit of corners. The steering post are also keyed into the MBX8 chassis for easier maintenance.

Differential & drive train:
High Traction Differentials are included in the MBX8. The Mugen Seiki HTD provides increased acceleration, longer runtime, and more consistent handling. The HTD's also increase stability, traction, and improve handling in bumpy conditions. The HTD has a new larger volume diff cup to increase consistency during long main events. This makes it easier to time rhythm sections, better in bumpy and low grip conditions, helps to increase traction, and increases fuel mileage.

The new gearbox makes allows you to remove and service the differentials without detaching the suspension arm mounts. Easy access to the front and rear differential.

New straight cut 13T bevel gear & 44T conical gear. The new straight cut bevel and conical gears increase acceleration, runtime, and efficiency. A free and efficient drive train will also increase speeds while cornering.

Light weight one-piece wing mount:
The new lightweight one-piece wing mount lower the center of gravity. The position of the wing and wing mount is optimized to improve the performance of vehicle. The height of the wing mount is adjustable. This allows you to control the down force on the rear of the vehicle by simply raising or lowering the mount on the shock tower.

Light weight high down-force wing:
The new IFMAR legal wing is lightweight and provides amazing down force and cornering. The underside of the wing uses a new design to reduced weight and creates additional down-force.

Suspension:
New suspension mounts. The FF/FR/RF/RR are new for the MBX8.
The front and rear lower arms use a new impact resistant material for increased durability. The new arms are box-shaped and include arm stiffeners to reduce flex and increase durability. Adjusting the hardness of the lower suspension arms is now possible. This allows you to fine tune the steering and traction from track to track. CFRP plates will be released as an option part.

Center differential mount & plate:
The center differential mounts use a stiffer material and has a new top plate to reduce chassis flex and increases clutch bell, spur gear, and clutch bearing life. The reduced chassis flex also provides more consistent handling in all conditions. The top plate design also makes it easier to adjust the brakes and easier maintenance.

Enclosed Battery box and updated carbon fiber radio plate:
The MBX8 still uses a flat 2S Lipo or Life battery, but the receiver battery is now enclosed in a molded battery box. The battery box allows for quick and easy access to the battery. The molded box also helps protect the battery from hard impacts. The battery box is mounted to an updated carbon fiber radio plate.

Other new parts and upgrades:
Body, Clamping Servo Saver Nut, F/R Shock Towers, Front bumper, Front center and rear center universal joint.

Mugen Seiki MBX8 Manual

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2017, 06:16 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NitroVein
A 5x11x4 bearing for the pinion!? That's usually a pretty stressed part in the drive train, both friction and reliability might take a hit due to that.
But I guess it will show in good time. Nice car though!
I guess perhaps you are right, but good catch, given the trend to go to a bigger bearing to support the pinion and prevent sideloading.

Wonder if they have changed the tooth pitch, or diff tolerances to warrant the smaller bearing?
Old 12-11-2017, 07:24 AM
Tech Lord

Bigger bearings are always wanted because with 2 or 3 bearings you will always have a failing bearing but what if like the MTX5 clutch 4 or 5 smaller bearings on a row is used over a longer distance. It will give less play and can handle more forces than 2 or 3 and beside that, if only the outside bearing fails due dirt still the bearing next to it can take over the load until the finish line is reached.
GrandeGixxer and 1/8 IC Fan like this.
Old 12-11-2017, 07:53 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1/8 IC Fan
I guess perhaps you are right, but good catch, given the trend to go to a bigger bearing to support the pinion and prevent sideloading.

Wonder if they have changed the tooth pitch, or diff tolerances to warrant the smaller bearing?
They might have tried something to offset the effect, but then someone might use some really slippery lube on the gears and... well, that wont help!
Lets hope they have tried it enough to sort out any problems.
tom1974 likes this.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:44 AM
am
Tech Master

A 5x11x4 bearing for the pinion!? That's usually a pretty stressed part in the drive train, both friction and reliability might take a hit due to that.
Kyosho MP9 has this. I get 20 liters on a set of bearings. I lube them with oil after 10 liters. Not a problem :-)
Old 12-11-2017, 10:10 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by am
Kyosho MP9 has this. I get 20 liters on a set of bearings. I lube them with oil after 10 liters. Not a problem :-)
Didn't know that Kyosho was using those small bearings. The problem isn't that the bearings might wear quicker, it's that the pinion can break. That I do know Kyosho has had problems with, but it might have been resolved many years ago.
Not trying to rain on anyone's parade, just making observations.
Old 12-11-2017, 10:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Soar uses the small 5x11x4 pinion bearing as well
Old 12-11-2017, 10:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 105 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Breizhator
No bleeder caps 🙁🙁🙁
M2C caps looks good.......Mugen will make this an option part later lol
1/8 IC Fan likes this.
Old 12-11-2017, 02:00 PM
Tech Regular

The bearing is a 6x13x5 bearing. I don't see such a downside to the 8x16x5 bearing.
Old 12-11-2017, 02:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by thommi
The bearing is a 6x13x5 bearing. I don't see such a downside to the 8x16x5 bearing.
Associated uses a 6x12x4 and I have had zero bearing issues. I don't think the 6x13x5 will cause any problems either.
Old 12-11-2017, 06:40 PM
Tech Regular

Gotta love the internet engineers, picking apart a car that hasn't been released yet. Happens every time.

5x11 pinion bearings have proven fully durable for hour-long IFMAR Worlds wins, it shouldn't be a problem if executed properly---which Mugen and Kyosho have done for decades.

I'm excited to see this car go. I haven't had a Mugen in ages but this release may tempt me to build one.
8T, gt racing and saychz316 like this.
Old 12-11-2017, 07:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by stephen_bess
Gotta love the internet engineers, picking apart a car that hasn't been released yet. Happens every time.

5x11 pinion bearings have proven fully durable for hour-long IFMAR Worlds wins, it shouldn't be a problem if executed properly---which Mugen and Kyosho have done for decades.

I'm excited to see this car go. I haven't had a Mugen in ages but this release may tempt me to build one.
oooorly
saychz316 likes this.
Old 12-11-2017, 11:28 PM
Tech Regular

Hello NitroVein,

Kyosho's MP9 actually has been using this type of Bearings on their Pinion. Losi's 8ight as well but they place the Bearings Further apart for more torsional strength..

And Yes, it need a good quality Bearing on this particular placement to withstand the load..

FYI, when I still racing Mugen, I was using 5x11x4 Bearing on the Modified Losi's Pinion to be placed on my MBX7R together with Losi's Diff.. And the Bearing is strong enough.. Finishing several 60 minutes Finals without any problem..

Cheers..

Old 12-11-2017, 11:45 PM
Tech Regular

Hello NitroVein,

The First generation of MP9 had the problem with melting Bearing Seats on the Gearbox. But after that, they come up with Glass Filled Nylon on their Gearbox and the problem seems to be solved. And later on they mention on their instruction manual that we should put 0.2mm gap on the the pinion installation.

Cheers..

Didn't know that Kyosho was using those small bearings. The problem isn't that the bearings might wear quicker, it's that the pinion can break. That I do know Kyosho has had problems with, but it might have been resolved many years ago.
Not trying to rain on anyone's parade, just making observations.
30Tooth likes this.
Old 12-12-2017, 12:42 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by stanleyw808
Hello NitroVein,

Kyosho's MP9 actually has been using this type of Bearings on their Pinion. Losi's 8ight as well but they place the Bearings Further apart for more torsional strength..

And Yes, it need a good quality Bearing on this particular placement to withstand the load..

FYI, when I still racing Mugen, I was using 5x11x4 Bearing on the Modified Losi's Pinion to be placed on my MBX7R together with Losi's Diff.. And the Bearing is strong enough.. Finishing several 60 minutes Finals without any problem..

Cheers..
Indeed, moving them apart should help a lot!
Good to know, learn something every day!

Originally Posted by stanleyw808
Hello NitroVein,

The First generation of MP9 had the problem with melting Bearing Seats on the Gearbox. But after that, they come up with Glass Filled Nylon on their Gearbox and the problem seems to be solved. And later on they mention on their instruction manual that we should put 0.2mm gap on the the pinion installation.

Cheers..
That would likely be the problem, the plastic parts not being able to hold it together when the forces starts to push things apart. With better plastic and carefully designed parts that problem should be less of a problem.
Even with larger bearings I have noticed the gears to wear quicker with to good grease, could be good to know if you have that kind of problem.

As they say, the proof is in the pudding! Sure it will be a great car!
stanleyw808 likes this.
Old 12-12-2017, 12:26 PM
Tech Elite

Most excited I have been to seeing a new car in a while
1/8 IC Fan likes this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.