Search
Like Tree2Likes

Tamiya TB-Evolution IV

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2004, 01:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally posted by Hebiki
wes, the reason i bring it up is i found something a bit weird last night. i race at socal (with wood barriers and concrete retaining wall). when i launch my car off a metal dot into one of those lovely concrete walls.. the car naturally gets tweaked. well.. i always take off my pinion and spin the drive train. i noticed that after a major crash, the motor mount moves every so slightly and binds up the bearing that holds the rear input shaft.

i took off the screws that hold the upper deck into the motor mount and they dont line up correctly. so i always check for tweak now (after every run) and make sure the drivetrain spins freely AND check the motor mount also.

i also took a reamer and made the holes a TAD bit bigger for the motor mount screws.
i wonder if its bending the screws that go into the mount? i havent used my Evo on any tracks that have hard barriers... yet. the boards at Scotty's track should give me a better idea. thanks for the tip! ill keep an eye on it.
Old 12-29-2004, 01:42 PM
Tech Addict

Hehe Chris, my drive train got more free so you didn't hit hard enough I got a radio hit going down the back straight in my first qualifier and caught so much air I just about cleared the entire straight. The wing just barely nicked the pole!! If I would have hit it at that speed it would have surely broken the car in two.

Even though I an new to mod on asphalt, that was fun. The car was definitely fast and occasionally hooked up. If I had a track like SoCal in my back yard I'd be there every day!

What I did notice getting tweaked often is the rear suspension mount when you clip something. you will get a bunch of front to back slop on the a-arm on the side you hit. If you loosen and tighten it again, all will be good.
Old 12-29-2004, 02:12 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally posted by fraz
Hehe Chris, my drive train got more free so you didn't hit hard enough I got a radio hit going down the back straight in my first qualifier and caught so much air I just about cleared the entire straight. The wing just barely nicked the pole!! If I would have hit it at that speed it would have surely broken the car in two.

Even though I an new to mod on asphalt, that was fun. The car was definitely fast and occasionally hooked up. If I had a track like SoCal in my back yard I'd be there every day!

What I did notice getting tweaked often is the rear suspension mount when you clip something. you will get a bunch of front to back slop on the a-arm on the side you hit. If you loosen and tighten it again, all will be good.
good meeting you yesterday fraz. blake also had a great run in our a-main heat. hope to see u guys racing at socal again real soon!
Old 12-29-2004, 02:16 PM
Tech Regular

Hi, just wondering what is this car like in stock racing(27T) and what hop ups(option parts) i should get if i et the IV after the new year

Chazz
Old 12-29-2004, 03:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I use a Q-Tip to CA the chassis edges.

The car is pretty good in 27t. I would get the aluminum input shafts. The stock ones are very heavy. I would also get the aluminum drive/input cups. The stock ones can/will break or split in a crash. A way around this is to use an outdrive ring around the stock plastic input cup. I posted this several several pages back. But sometimes this can cause a slight bind in the car. It other Words... it won't be as free. Other than that... 2 swaybar kits... some springs.. and you'll be off to a good start. Some spare parts as well. Rear hubs are a tad weak and sometimes might be molded wrong. Check your rear toe on a setup station to make sure yours are good. You could also get some aluminum rear hubs as well. Oh... and don't forget to get suspension blocks. The stock blocks give you like 3degree rear toe. Invest in a set of D's, C's, B's, and A's. Maybe an X block as well? For stock I'd run an A/A or A/B block in the rear. Up front a C/A or B/A.

Hmmm I think that's it. Everything else can come later.
Old 12-29-2004, 03:11 PM
Tech Elite

Oh, I also run AE springs on the car instead of Tamiya. But if I run Tamiya springs.. it's usually the Yellow/Yellow combo anyways.
Old 12-29-2004, 03:33 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally posted by KilRuf

The car is pretty good in 27t. I would get the aluminum input shafts. The stock ones are very heavy. I would also get the aluminum drive/input cups. The stock ones can/will break or split in a crash. A way around this is to use an outdrive ring around the stock plastic input cup. I posted this several several pages back. But sometimes this can cause a slight bind in the car. It other Words... it won't be as free. Other than that... 2 swaybar kits... some springs.. and you'll be off to a good start. Some spare parts as well. Rear hubs are a tad weak and sometimes might be molded wrong. Check your rear toe on a setup station to make sure yours are good. You could also get some aluminum rear hubs as well. Oh... and don't forget to get suspension blocks. The stock blocks give you like 3degree rear toe. Invest in a set of D's, C's, B's, and A's. Maybe an X block as well? For stock I'd run an A/A or A/B block in the rear. Up front a C/A or B/A.

By looking at the front block setup looks like you like a little sweep in the arms. This will give me more steering with the arms swept back like that? I know my Pro 4 was like that.
Old 12-29-2004, 03:40 PM
Tech Adept

Damn, now I gotta go and buy a load of upgrades for mine...

Old 12-29-2004, 03:53 PM
Tech Elite

Yes, more steering...
Old 12-29-2004, 03:55 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Yes, more steering...
Nice!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-29-2004, 03:55 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Originally posted by Galifrey
Damn, now I gotta go and buy a load of upgrades for mine...

Its a vicious cycle isn't it.!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-29-2004, 04:04 PM
Tech Lord

Talking hopups

here's how you can go overboard hopping up the evoIV

delrin outdrives (from evoIII)
Ti screws
aluminum or Ti turnbuckles
flourine coated ball studs
flourine coated ball ends
blue aluminum shock top/caps
blue aluminum shock retainers
Ti axles (tamiya or square)
front one piece alum. input shaft/drive cup
rear alum input shaft
rear alum drive cup
clear diff covers
Tamiya lightweight shaft or Team Bomber graphite shaft. (a must for stock racing)
a sway bar kit.
servo mount/transponder holder from Square
Xenon aluminum center braces (3)
alum sway bar holders
ceramic bearings (if you really want to go overboard )
X - E suspenion blocks
1 deg alum rear hubs
1.5 deg alum rear hubs
0 deg alum rear hubs

did i miss something?
Old 12-29-2004, 04:06 PM
Tech Lord

Yes, more steering...
hehe i run D/A up front. gonna try C/X when the "X" blocks come in for the evoIV.

i guess E/X would be overboard huh?
Old 12-29-2004, 04:18 PM
Tech Elite

I have an X block here, maybe I'll toss that on and give it a try hehe. Well... I'll let you try the E/X up front...

Yeah, I forgot about the mainshaft. It's heavy as well. I haven't seen the Tamiya lightweight one yet. I run the TeamBomber mainshaft. BUT.... what sucks is I have to take it all off since I'm converting the car back to TCS specs.
Old 12-29-2004, 04:46 PM
Tech Lord

I have an X block here, maybe I'll toss that on and give it a try hehe. Well... I'll let you try the E/X up front...

Yeah, I forgot about the mainshaft. It's heavy as well. I haven't seen the Tamiya lightweight one yet. I run the TeamBomber mainshaft. BUT.... what sucks is I have to take it all off since I'm converting the car back to TCS specs.
heheh ok. ill let you know how the E/X thing goes.

but i have more than enough steering now. just gotta find more corner speed my car is basically TCS legal except for the long turnbuckle for the servo. im using a lunsford for that. the Tamiya lightweight shaft is the same weight (when compared by hand. ) as the Team Bomber. it also has "tamiya" etched into it. so its pretty cool looking.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.