Search
Like Tree2Likes

Xray T4 '13

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 01:26 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by yodace
On power

The front pushes also coming into turns also. I think that's started when I put the -.75 roll center on up front ...
Try standing your rear shocks up, might help a little with both problems.

And/or stiffer rear springs.

Whatever you choose, let us know how it goes
Old 06-14-2013, 07:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TT_Vert
Speaking of roll centers. I've noticed nobody ever uses the lower arm mount holes on the t4. Does that lower the roll center more than anyone cares for? I've not tried it but I may at some point. Perhaps in front to get a bit more steering..

Dave
Anyone have any input
Old 06-14-2013, 07:12 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Skiddins
Try standing your rear shocks up, might help a little with both problems.

And/or stiffer rear springs.

Whatever you choose, let us know how it goes
Out of curiosity what is your through process behind this? I would think you'd want to start up front if it's an off power corner entry issue.

Dave
Old 06-14-2013, 07:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Less caster helps turn in but you'll lose some exit steering, stiffen the rear and it'll help a little on exit. I've been trying to get rid of the push entering corners and when I finally did I now push on exit.
What I did was stand up the rear shock, put the lowest RC in the front of the front arms and 0 RC in back of rear arm and you'll have less caster but it helped out alot. Sometimes I switch the RC in front to 0 in front of front arm and -75 in back of rear arm and it helped alot also. Try it, it can't hurt
Old 06-14-2013, 07:13 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by JOE SI
In the front add 2mm shim on top of shock
In the rear add 2mm on bottom of the shock
I use it in the front only on carpet, it feels less responsive on asphalt
Are you saying you only use shims on carpet? What do you feel changes and is benefited when you do these? And I am understanding correctly that people only shim the front top at tower and rear bottom at arm?

Dave
Old 06-14-2013, 08:43 AM
Tech Elite

Out of curiosity what is your through process behind this? I would think you'd want to start up front if it's an off power corner entry issue.

Dave
I've found that stiffer rear springs help initial steering at corner entry.

Sometimes stiffer rear springs, or standing the rears up more seems to also prevent too much weight transferring to the rear at corner exit as you apply the power.
If you go too stiff at the rear it might start to make the rear loose again.

You might also want to consider moving more static weight to the rear of the car. This might contribute to the issues

Like everything, it's a balancing act as well as being effected by driving style etc.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:58 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Speaking of roll centers. I've noticed nobody ever uses the lower arm mount holes on the t4. Does that lower the roll center more than anyone cares for? I've not tried it but I may at some point. Perhaps in front to get a bit more steering.. Before I disassemble my car and take out my mic. does anyone know the distance between those two sets of threaded holes? If the blocks provide to -.075 I wonder what a +.75 would work out to be on the lower hole.

Dave
Are those holes even threaded? Are you sure the arm mounts will even fit in those holes without hitting the chassis? I'd be surprised if they did.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:03 AM
Tech Master

Are you saying you only use shims on carpet? What do you feel changes and is benefited when you do these? And I am understanding correctly that people only shim the front top at tower and rear bottom at arm?

Dave
Yes, I only shim the front top shock on carpet. I felt it calmed the front of the car down, not so twitchy. I put a 2mm just on top of the front to make it straight up and down, some put 1.5 even 2.5.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:06 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by erchn
Are those holes even threaded? Are you sure the arm mounts will even fit in those holes without hitting the chassis? I'd be surprised if they did.
You can't even get the screw in those holes, if you shim under the bulk you probably can but then you'll be raising COG and the shocks wouldn't fit and some other parts as well
Old 06-14-2013, 02:34 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by erchn
Good questions. I'll check when I get to the track tonight and report back. I don't know why they'd put them there if they weren't functional on some level (Weight shedding perhaps?).

Dave
Old 06-14-2013, 02:41 PM
Tech Elite

Good questions. I'll check when I get to the track tonight and report back. I don't know why they'd put them there if they weren't functional on some level (Weight shedding perhaps?).

Dave
If you want 'inbetween' roll centre heights, you can just add shims underneath the pivot block mounts
Old 06-14-2013, 02:42 PM
Tech Elite

I've found that stiffer rear springs help initial steering at corner entry.

Sometimes stiffer rear springs, or standing the rears up more seems to also prevent too much weight transferring to the rear at corner exit as you apply the power.
If you go too stiff at the rear it might start to make the rear loose again.

You might also want to consider moving more static weight to the rear of the car. This might contribute to the issues

Like everything, it's a balancing act as well as being effected by driving style etc.
I definitely see what you mean about stiffer rear helping w/ on power steering I'm just trying to wrap my head around a stiffer rear spring helping off power corner entry. Perhaps the stiffer spring is speeding up weight transfer to the front off power into corner entry?

Dave
Old 06-14-2013, 02:43 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by JOE SI
Yes, I only shim the front top shock on carpet. I felt it calmed the front of the car down, not so twitchy. I put a 2mm just on top of the front to make it straight up and down, some put 1.5 even 2.5.
Ok can you tell me what you experience when you put washers on the rear shock at the arm itself? Is this also in effect straightening the rear shock like the front? I can't say I've paid attention to the exact vertical orientation of the shock itself.

Thanks
Dave
Old 06-14-2013, 02:46 PM
Tech Elite

If you want 'inbetween' roll centre heights, you can just add shims underneath the pivot block mounts
Yeah I've read that in the manual. I was just wondering why xray put those lower holes in. Perhaps so you can put a few MM under the block to get extra roll center options like you said. I currently run 0 FF/FR and -.75FR/RR. I tried a -.75FF/FR to try to get a bit more low speed steering and turn in butthe car had crazy high speed steering and was way too twitchy for me. Didn't help me w/ turn in a bit. I couldn't imagine using those lower holes which is why I asked if anyone used those and why xray put them there if not.

Dave
Old 06-14-2013, 09:50 PM
Tech Master

Ok can you tell me what you experience when you put washers on the rear shock at the arm itself? Is this also in effect straightening the rear shock like the front? I can't say I've paid attention to the exact vertical orientation of the shock itself.

Thanks
Dave
Yea same thing, straightening the shock.
Don't know what it actually does, but I'm going to say it makes the suspension more efficient

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.