Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Serpent 710

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2004, 02:21 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by fmolzer
Shame on you for expressing your opinions and giving advise to your poor fellow racers.
No worries. As long as the paycheck from Serpent comes in, I'm happy !

Originally posted by fmolzer
I've been gone for a while, so my 710 is just nearing completion... Will be interesting to see what it does on the track.
How terribly inefficient ! Look at Andrew your mate ! He puts you to shame !

Let us know your feedback too once you get it on track. Don't wanna let people complain that only a few here are giving feedbacks !
Old 01-07-2004, 02:51 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by crashed_1
Can you post a pic of your shortened flyweights?..or which area of the flyweights did you shorten?....THANX.
Ok, this is a clearer picture of what and how it is done. I took the opportunity to take pictures when I mounted a spare Centax III clutch onto a spare engine. That's why it's clean and nice.

Please note that this is not a Serpent sanctioned mod and will not take any responsibility if anything bad happens. It worked wonderful for me and for Jack too.

Top flyweight is modded. Bottom is original and shows approximately where and how much you need to cut.

After the 3 flyweights are shortened, install it like this on the flywheel. They sit in nicely.
Old 01-07-2004, 03:18 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by fastharry
thanks Profi......

let me ask you this.....When you need to get the front midshaft out.......and the rear 2 sp shaft..(for changing belts on each end)..

How easy is that to do?......We were comparing this car to the r40 as far as ease of maintenance...And not for anything,you can both belts changed in a r40 in a few minutes....
In case, I get into trouble again, I'm not Proficar403.

This is the front midshaft. Notice that the pulleys (19T and 22T) are located at the sides of the front midshaft. The front belt can slip sideways into the mid 19T pulley as it is not restricted by the mid bearing block like can be found on the 705 / Impulse design. Is the R40 the same?

This is the rear side where the 2 speed layshaft sits. There are only 3 screws holding the left rear bulkhead from the bottom of the chassis (not shown). You can access or mount the rear belt on the 24T brake pulley by first taking out just one screw on the carbon fibre brake bracket (802303) that attaches to the left side rear bulkhead. Unscrew the left side tensioner screw to the left rear bulkhead. Unscrew and release the 22T rear side layshaft pulley and you can access the 24T brake pulley already by sliding out the left rear bulkhead.

Well, after all being said, if at the end of the day the R40 can do 2 minutes faster than the 710 in changing belts, what's the point? As far as I can remember, there are no trophies for the fastest belt changer !
Old 01-07-2004, 04:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Saw a sponsored driver with the car and man was it fast! It corners so flat. I must resist getting one.
Old 01-07-2004, 04:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by InitialD

This is the front midshaft. Notice that the pulleys (19T and 22T) are located at the sides of the front midshaft. The front belt can slip sideways into the mid 19T pulley as it is not restricted by the mid bearing block like can be found on the 705 / Impulse design. Is the R40 the same?

This is the rear side where the 2 speed layshaft sits. There are only 3 screws holding the left rear bulkhead from the bottom of the chassis (not shown). You can access or mount the rear belt on the 24T brake pulley by first taking out just one screw on the carbon fibre brake bracket (802303) that attaches to the left side rear bulkhead. Unscrew the left side tensioner screw to the left rear bulkhead. Unscrew and release the 22T rear side layshaft pulley and you can access the 24T brake pulley already by sliding out the left rear bulkhead.

Well, after all being said, if at the end of the day the R40 can do 2 minutes faster than the 710 in changing belts, what's the point? As far as I can remember, there are no trophies for the fastest belt changer !
The greatest thing for me about this new system is being able to remove the rear diff easily. Many of the old 705 forum members know how much I like that ability .

Another thing...about changing belts quick...is that I cannot remember ever having to change the rear belt on my impulse or 705, especially quickly. The front belt...well...that's a different story, especially on the track where I used to race (before I moved near Atlanta). There, having a one-way and a tire hit a 2X4 was a deadly combination for a front belt.

Being able to remove the rear diff easily, quickly, and "cleanly" is priceless to me, especially with ball diffs. I can remember countless times where my impulse diff would become "gritty", but I did not want to take the trouble to rebuild the entire car to get to the diff. If the diff is not smooth, neither am I .

I also remeber a day, a couple of years ago, when I stripped a front belt, replaced it, then stripped another one. I was so discouraged, having already rebuilt the front end in a hurry, I actually wanted to go home, and that rarely has happened to me, because I would usually rather be at the track than anywhere else.

Meanwhile, my 710 has not hit the track yet. I have much to do to get ready for the Snowbirds.
Old 01-07-2004, 06:50 PM
Tech Addict

Smile

Sorry guys didnt mean to go off.Just get sick of people complaining about the little things. Everything has a work around, a little weakness for better handling in always a plus. Hopefully better handling means we stay away from the walls.
Old 01-07-2004, 08:30 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Racing4Evo
Saw a sponsored driver with the car and man was it fast! It corners so flat. I must resist getting one.
Who was the driver and where?
Old 01-07-2004, 08:33 PM
Tech Elite

D, good luck in Bangkok ... guess this forum will be a little quiet over the weekend!

I can't make it, my 710 is not ready.

When you come back focus on tellu us about the race rather than entertain those with big dong's that can break Hudy tools!
Old 01-07-2004, 11:38 PM
Tech Elite

Default Serpent 710

here's a pic of my ride...
Attached Thumbnails Serpent 710-serpent710.jpg  
Old 01-07-2004, 11:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

Perhaps in more detail to your survey, we should count the number of useful replies versus useless ones...
make sure to count the replies about the shipping weight and date code. those are really useful.

Just for the sake of arguing, we should still take into account when the thread was started. Of course if a thread was started 2 or even 3 years ago, more people would have visited and more would have replied too.
i know, almost 60 pages of posts was logged even before the car was released. not that i have a problem with it, just that it is amazing to me so much could be talk about a car that nobody even had.

by the way, good luck at the race. which car will you be driving ? 710 or 705
Old 01-08-2004, 12:04 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by Data
by the way, good luck at the race. which car will you be driving ? 710 or 705
and try not to walk sideway when you walk pass the gates at the airport
Old 01-08-2004, 12:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally posted by Sow&Steady
Who was the driver and where?
Mel S. ( I don't know how to spell his last name) This was at Revelation Raceway( where the Sedan Nationals was held).
Old 01-08-2004, 12:24 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Re: Serpent 710

Originally posted by crashed_1
here's a pic of my ride...
is that 710 or not obviously not
Crashed, whats camera do u use? my fuji not that clear
Old 01-08-2004, 12:25 AM
Tech Initiate

Ok, this is a clearer picture of what and how it is done. I took the opportunity to take pictures when I mounted a spare Centax III clutch onto a spare engine. That's why it's clean and nice.

Please note that this is not a Serpent sanctioned mod and will not take any responsibility if anything bad happens. It worked wonderful for me and for Jack too.

Top flyweight is modded. Bottom is original and shows approximately where and how much you need to cut.

Wouldnt it be a good idea to drill an extra hole in the flyweights. so your flyweights are in balance.
Old 01-08-2004, 12:58 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I noticed, if i not mistaken, its like the MTX3 clutch. But MTX3 got 4 pieces...i think so. its just no holes on the flywheels. Man, this is the coolest mod i ever seen.

Now i gonna hold the launching day for my 710. I need to change the 1st pinion and this mod things

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.