Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Anybody interested in custom parts ? (chassis,a-arms,motor mounts,shock towers etc) >

Anybody interested in custom parts ? (chassis,a-arms,motor mounts,shock towers etc)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anybody interested in custom parts ? (chassis,a-arms,motor mounts,shock towers etc)

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 03:01 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the link.

As for flex, I'm designing mine out of 1/8" thick lexan with a top deck and spine board. I actually want some torsional flex in the chassis as it'll be for racing on carpet. ( 1/10 stock sedan ) I'm more or less making this chassis to see if it can be done. If it doesn't work, no worries, I'll just use it for show. I'm a model scratch-builder/customizer, so this is just another one of my little projects.
Old 03-30-2007, 04:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ian_RC
Thanks for the link.

As for flex, I'm designing mine out of 1/8" thick lexan with a top deck and spine board. I actually want some torsional flex in the chassis as it'll be for racing on carpet. ( 1/10 stock sedan ) I'm more or less making this chassis to see if it can be done. If it doesn't work, no worries, I'll just use it for show. I'm a model scratch-builder/customizer, so this is just another one of my little projects.
You don't want flex in your chassis when you race on carpet.
Old 03-30-2007, 05:39 AM
Tech Rookie

Maybe not, but it's been working for me so far. In my last race, I improved my over-all pace by three laps. I find that the minute amount of torsional flex gives me a more positive feel when cornering aggressively... or maybe I'm just wierd.

I just remembered... when mocking my diffs on the basic bottom deck I've already cut out the basic shape of, I tried flexing it up and down and even gently twisted it. It seemed to be fairly close to my current carbon fibre chassis, so I'm pretty confident that once the top deck and spine board are made and installed, it should be stiff enough for my purposes.

If it's not... I'll turn it into a drifting chassis. ;D

Last edited by Ian_RC; 03-30-2007 at 05:57 AM.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

I am glad that your haveing success with your chassis! Yea definatly post pics when your done. Also what about weight how does the lexan compare to yuor carbon fiber in that area? thanks Peace Ethan
Old 03-30-2007, 10:02 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by eds24
Hey Guys,
I am thinking about starting to make custom parts for people. Such as a-arms , shocktowers, motor mounts , chassis's ,servo mounts, Etc out of 1/4" lexan. I am wondering if anybody would be interested in some parts? I could make parts for pretty much any vehicle I would just need a mock up or the stock part to trace. I could make parts for relatively cheap too. Let me know if you guys have any interest. Here are some pics of some parts I have made..
Thanks Ethan

Looks Great!!! It should sell!!! Good Luck...
Old 03-30-2007, 10:05 AM
Tech Addict

I think the custom parts would sell, Why don't you try dying the plastics in different transparent colors??? I think that would help your sales.
Old 03-30-2007, 10:10 AM
Tech Addict

It's just an idea, I hope all works out for you. Take Care...
Old 03-30-2007, 10:17 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by eds24
I am glad that your haveing success with your chassis! Yea definatly post pics when your done. Also what about weight how does the lexan compare to yuor carbon fiber in that area? thanks Peace Ethan
I should have a finished chassis by the end of the weekend, if all goes according to plan. I wanted to work on it last night, but I wound up sitting on the couch nursing a migraine headache instead.

I've both worked with lexan before, and scratch making model parts, so my success isn't all that surprising. ( I'm a perfectionist to boot )

As for the weight, it seems to be close to the weight of my carbon fiber chassis, but I won't know for sure until it's all finished. I'll be sure to weight it.

Last edited by Ian_RC; 03-30-2007 at 03:15 PM.
Old 04-01-2007, 07:36 AM
Tech Rookie

Well, here's my efforts so far...

I still need tons of parts before it'll be ready to hit the track for testing, but it sure looks nice.
Old 04-01-2007, 12:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

damn man. thats nice props to you. you blew my chassis out of the water.
Old 04-01-2007, 02:49 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Ian_RC
Well, here's my efforts so far...

I still need tons of parts before it'll be ready to hit the track for testing, but it sure looks nice.
Did you use a CNC machine?
Old 04-01-2007, 03:12 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

na,i believe he said he does it by hand.very impressive.
Old 04-01-2007, 05:04 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by RCSteve93
Did you use a CNC machine?
I didn't use a CNC machine, just a home-made template, a scroll-saw and a dremel... not to mention a very good eye and an extremely steady hand. ( I'm a perfectionist. )

I'm glad that you all like my efforts so far. Sadly though, it wasn't until I removed the masking tape from the lexan that I noticed the break in the top deck. Luckily, I've got a second chassis in the works as my plan was to use the first one to work out the positioning of all the proper holes for mounting everything.

And just to prove that it's not perfect... ( I really wish that I could've gotten the battery slots beveled better. )

Last edited by Ian_RC; 04-01-2007 at 05:37 PM.
Old 04-01-2007, 05:47 PM
Tech Elite

Ian_RC, that is awsome. I have been working on a custom R/C that is powered by a airplane propeller. I found that if you have a belt and disk sander, you can get most of the exterior eges very straight. I will post some pictures when I am done. I need to mount the wheels and it will be RTR.
Old 04-01-2007, 06:01 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by RCSteve93
I have been working on a custom R/C that is powered by a airplane propeller. I found that if you have a belt and disk sander, you can get most of the exterior eges very straight. I will post some pictures when I am done. I need to mount the wheels and it will be RTR.
I'd be interested to see that "propeller car" of yours once it's done, sounds cool.

As for the belt/disk sander, I totally agree with you that it would keep the outside edges very straight. My issue is with beveling out the inside of the battery slots... I'm pretty sure that I'll need a router table to accomplish that. ( It's on my new Christmas "wish list", along with a small drill press and the belt/disk sander. )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.