Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ask Steve "The Evicerator" Weiss

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 11:41 AM
Tech Adept

Hello Steve,

I know you have answered this question before a 100 times but what is the procedure for replacing the bearing on the non end bell side of the brushless motor (the wire side).

Also do you oil the bearings. If so what kind of oil do you use and how often?

Thanks
Old 01-01-2008, 04:09 PM
The Evicerator

Thanks J type! Same to you!

Got my car the other day... should be heading to the track in a couple weeks... this upcoming weekend is already spoken for

Originally Posted by J.Filipow
Steve Type-

I hope you have an intergalactic-prophylactic-atlatlactic New Year's Day!
Old 01-01-2008, 04:13 PM
The Evicerator

The safest way to do it is to remove the front side endbell (with the rotor shaft) via the 3 3/32nd screws... then remove the rotor itself.

Next remove the 3 1/16" screws from that side of the motor and carefully work the endcap off... you can get an xacto blade or flathead screwdriver in there to get it started.

Now the bearing should be exposed... you can take the shaft of the rotor you removed earlier and slide it into the bearing...gently work the rotor back and forth and the bearing should come right out.

As far as oiling the bearings... I'd use any thin bearing oil... maybe once a month.

Originally Posted by march to my own
Hello Steve,

I know you have answered this question before a 100 times but what is the procedure for replacing the bearing on the non end bell side of the brushless motor (the wire side).

Also do you oil the bearings. If so what kind of oil do you use and how often?

Thanks
Old 01-01-2008, 04:14 PM
The Evicerator

Yes, Ch 3 will work just fine...

Just make sure you have it plugged in with the correct polarity... the red and black wires should line up with the other red and black wires that are plugged into the RX.

Originally Posted by miccal
So Channel 3 is also OK?
Old 01-03-2008, 07:12 AM
Tech Rookie

Steve,

I'm wondering if you could assist me with an issue I'm currently having.

I've purchased 2 GTB Spread Spectrum systems (motor + ESC).

Both of these units suffered from MOSFET failure on their first run.

The first one was sent back to Novak for evaluation and it was replaced quickly.

I forwarded the second one and it was replaced also.

Unfortunately the second one was returned to me (motor and ESC) in Canada via the mail, inside of a padded envelope.

When I forwarded each to Novak, I took care to package the items in a box, with the motor and ESC packed inside of a plastic tube.

The second shipment arrived damaged. The fan was cracked, the wiring harness was cracked, and the orange case is no longer sealed.

Both of my e-mails to Novak have not yet been returned.

I'm sure there is a lot of holiday-related activity going on and everyone is busy, so I thought I'd post here instead.

Please let me know your thoughts, as I would like to be prepared for racing in the near-future.

Cheers.
Old 01-06-2008, 04:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)

steve:

1. How can i tell if my gtb has li-po cutoff if i got one second hand with no box or manual?

2. When a gtb with li-po cuttoff activated strarts cutting out on a flat li-po, what exactly will it do?, does it stop totally or just drive slow when you try to pull on full throtle, or does the power to the motor cut in and out like a on off switch, etc.....

thanks...........
Old 01-06-2008, 07:38 AM
The Evicerator

Losi,

Honestly the easiest way to check to see if you have it is to go through the programming to see if it has the Lipo Cut off option. While the ESC is on simply press and hold the setup button down... you should see all the normal parameters go by... blue, blue/yellow, green, etc... Lipo cut off should be next to last being yellow/red.

One blink signifies that lipo cut off is off.

Two blinks signifies that lipo cut off is activated (for 2S packs)

When it gets close to low voltage the throttle should sort of "blip out" a number of times... once you've reached the low threshold the throttle should cut out completely.

Hope this helps!

Originally Posted by LOSI123
steve:

1. How can i tell if my gtb has li-po cutoff if i got one second hand with no box or manual?

2. When a gtb with li-po cuttoff activated strarts cutting out on a flat li-po, what exactly will it do?, does it stop totally or just drive slow when you try to pull on full throtle, or does the power to the motor cut in and out like a on off switch, etc.....

thanks...........
Old 01-06-2008, 08:20 AM
Tech Adept

Steve-

I am sure this has been asked many times but will the Mongoose power up a 05 brushless motor 17.5 in my 1/12th car?

Thanks
Old 01-06-2008, 04:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)

Thanks Steve
Old 01-06-2008, 07:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Great to be back in the pits with you, Steve type! I had fun goofing off today...here's to more in the future.
Old 01-06-2008, 09:43 PM
The Evicerator

Cookie,

To be honest we haven't even tried it in that sort of application yet... so I really don't have an answer for you at this time.

Originally Posted by cookie1
Steve-

I am sure this has been asked many times but will the Mongoose power up a 05 brushless motor 17.5 in my 1/12th car?

Thanks
Old 01-06-2008, 09:44 PM
The Evicerator

J type,

The feeling is mutal! Great racing today! Sorry my stuff wasn't better in the main to make it more interesting for you... !

Originally Posted by J.Filipow
Great to be back in the pits with you, Steve type! I had fun goofing off today...here's to more in the future.
Old 01-09-2008, 04:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)
Default GTb 1-touch reset

Hi Steve,
Am trying to do the one-touch set-up for a GTB spread spektrum.
after the red LED comes on, i pull the throttle ... green LED comes on.
i release the throttle back to neutral .. but the green LED doesn't blink? it just remains green ..

i tried it a few times. is there some setting on my radio that needs to be changed?

when i just switch the GTB on (without pressing the set button), both green & red LEDs come on.

please let me know .. cheers.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:07 AM
The Evicerator

wyl,

Well it sounds like you might have two problems... let me address the first one:

When doing the one touch setup, you have the start right:

Hold down the button, turn the ESC on and when the red LED comes on let go of the button and pull full throttle.

But where you have it wrong is when the green LED comes on... at this poing you go to full brake, not to neutral!

Once the trigger is at full brake the green LED should blink, THEN you return the trigger to neutral!

Now, in regards to the issue where when you turn the ESC on and you see a green and red LED on solid, this means that the ESC is not getting signal... check to make sure your transmitter is on and working properly, and double check your input harness to make sure that it is oriented correctly on both the ESC and in the receiver!

Originally Posted by wyl03
Hi Steve,
Am trying to do the one-touch set-up for a GTB spread spektrum.
after the red LED comes on, i pull the throttle ... green LED comes on.
i release the throttle back to neutral .. but the green LED doesn't blink? it just remains green ..

i tried it a few times. is there some setting on my radio that needs to be changed?

when i just switch the GTB on (without pressing the set button), both green & red LEDs come on.

please let me know .. cheers.
Old 01-09-2008, 04:23 PM
Tech Adept

Hello Steve,

When I advance the timing on my 13.5 am I essentially just moving the torque curve around.

For instance If the timing is advanced the motor will run faster but will have to be geared down correct?

Is advancing the timing give me and advantage?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.