Community
Wiki Posts
Search

the next TC3

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2001, 07:41 PM
RCTech Member #2

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

There isnt much you can change to make it "never used before" these days. Look at the Nitro RS4, the original.. 3 belts. Now look at the mugen mtx-2, Kyosho v one r, v one s,Nitro OB4, Traxxas 4tec ....ect ect.. Now look at the electrics. 2 belts, Pro2, OB4, Street weapon, Schumacher, Xray,Tamiya..ect ect.. There isnt much you can do to make each drivetrain "special".

I remember back to where someone did a letter to the editor, Pete said something along the lines of what i just said.. I feel they handled it just fine.
Old 10-02-2001, 09:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Civic, I beg to differ, the STR-4 pro IS just a revamped version of the old STR-4, I know I have held both in my hands, YES- it will handle abuse better than the TC3, YES- it does have ball diffs, but that is where your knowledge of the car ends with the reviews....

The outdrives and internal gears are conciderably heavier than the origional TC3 steel units.
Speaking of the internal gears Academy has a really weird ratio inside the gearcases that requires a pinion at least half as big as the spur to even have any type of top end with a stock motor.
The car is nowhere near as easily set-up as the TC3.
The car even with it's graphite plate is nearly as heavy as a TC3.
The chassis is easily tweaked as with most dual deck tourers.
The chassis cannot corner as fast as the TC3 without traction rolling.
The shock absorbers do not build as smoothly as the Associated shocks.
Also due to the goofy bellcranks the car doesn't want to track straight.

The review did mention it's awesome acceleration, but that was after they strapped in a 10 turn motor, and the wheelspin will never be seen on a well set-up tourer unless you are on a slipper surface.

BTW: on the tenth tech car I remember seeing pics of that thing, from my last recollection the TC3 doen't have inboard shocks. Nore does the Tenth Tech car have a steering rack....

WAIT..WAIT..let me look at mine........For sure mine doen't have inboard shocks....

AND WHO IS Copying???? if I remember the TA01 was the first shaft driven car, and 1/8th buggies have been using shaft drive for decades, and before that..........

NOONE has a paton on shaft driven RC cars, just like General Motors doesn't have a paton on the ROUND wheel.....
Old 10-02-2001, 09:53 PM
Tech Elite

TSR6- the street weapon does have a unique drivetrain, it has a sealed 3 belt drivetrain...unless you concider it's father the XX4, but that is an off-roader also made by LOSI.
Old 10-02-2001, 09:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 82 (100%+)

darkside: how about a shaft / belt drive combo? what's the no. of the patent office?

seriously, if ever there will be a new tc3, i hope that there will be carry over parts if possible. or even a conversion kit or an upgrade kit. but i would really wish for pivot ball suspension as it seems to be one of the toughest and most adjustable designs.
Old 10-02-2001, 10:25 PM
Tech Addict

I drove a T-Tech car for the NZ importer early last year and it was an interesting time.
The car was always being checked out by people as it looked so different to anything else. This was just before the TC3 was released here so people often asked if it was an Associated.
The suspension was tricky to set up as there were so many balljoints that had to pivot smoothly. The transmission was OK once a few things had been sorted out....

It was lightweight-The diff outdrives and main driveshaft were composite and very light.
After Breaking/running in, it was very smooth.
Unfortunately it wasn't built to last, The gears could strip or wear out quickly under high load.
It was easy to strip so repairs could be made quickly, I just got sick of doing them. Self tapping screws everywhere too, not good.

It was the fastest car I had driven, it Felt fast too, my MR4 at the time did not.
Old 10-02-2001, 10:25 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The Predator TC is quite competative and does very well on it's own turf where it's popularity exists! As far as who copies who, alot of designs are similar, but most manufacturers do try their best to introduce new ideas and design enhancements! Tamiya has used shft drive setups since way back, since they started making 4WD, although it was a different setup! Anybody remember MRP's Shotgun 4wd offroader, that car came and went long ago. I think the MRC STR4 looks pretty good and like any other chassis built upon a competative layout can win races. It just comes down to preference, what you want in a car, something different, or something you see every day!
Old 10-03-2001, 11:04 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)

True, the car is a pro version of the STR4, but it is actually a derivitive of the ALEX RACING car. And as far as tweak, I have seen many TC3 chassis tweaked out of the box! Traction roll? That is easily remidied, if you know how to set a car up. There may be a few drawbacks to this car, but they got this car much closer to right than AE did at first. And it was a 13 double, not a 10. I'm not saying your wrong about the car. But until it gets a few miles of track under it's belt and gets some tuning time with some experienced racers, there is no way you can judge it. Look at how well the street weapon did and it's drivetrain was horrible. And Darkside isn't saying that everybody has copied off one another, he's simply saying that Car Action seems to defend the cars from which companies advertise with them more than ones that carry a very small ad at the back of the magazine!
Old 10-03-2001, 08:34 PM
Tech Elite

The car has had many races under it's belt and finished in the B-main of the Matsers class in the trinity race in Gaitherburg, MD earilier this year. Paul is a very experienced racer/tuner, and has also driven the TC3, I would say it was very well tested, and the car just cannot outpreform the TC3..which BTW took the entire A-main.....
Old 10-04-2001, 12:02 AM
Tech Adept

The original Predator was on Offroad Car I first saw it at the offroad world's in the UK in '93. That car in its latest incarnation is still winning every year. Its changed a lot mind you but the basic components are still there.
The Sedan version came out later but still way before the TC3 and had several versions but now is out of production akthough spares are still available as to who copied who I'd say say its a case of the more things change the more they stay the same!!!
Old 10-04-2001, 08:00 AM
Tech Fanatic

AE got it right the first time out. You don't see new versions of the TC3 because what's to improve? What could you change that would have a significant impact on the car?
Old 10-04-2001, 08:16 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Wallinonya: your quite right. I believe some people in Austrailia still use it. They had to modify a little so that the larger cells (that didn't exist when the car was designed) will fit. I even saw pics of one that the guy converted to use addle packs. Pretty neat.

marvi: patents really don't matter. At least not in R/C! Look at all the copies of the original red and black connectors. Look at all the copies of Corally's style plugs.

TSR6: I think the three belt 1:8 scale cars were around a weeeee bit before HPI developed the idea! Take a look at the Mugen, Serpent, Yokomo, OFNA and other "purpose built nitro race cars" and they are alot more similar to the 1:8 scale cars than HPI's car.

And I must disagree with you about the inability to create something different these days. FSR had quite a unique TC, that some still find quite competitive. More recently I think that Losi and Kyosho did a pretty good job of coming up with something different that works. While I don't think its impossible to come up with something different, I do agree it is getting pretty difficult.

coolrcdad: Well AE is changing an awful lot in the suspension department for the gas car version. So apparently they don't share your view of the car being pretty much perfect. Just a thought!
Old 10-04-2001, 01:16 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)

Being tested by one or two drivers doesn't do it. They don't have the resources to have adequate data yet. This car in this form hasn't been available very long to the public. That's what I am refering to. CLUB RACES. And I see several areas for improvement for the TC3. The steering rack is prone to catching rocks...the rear carriers had tooling problems well into production, the parts are brittle no matter what people say. I have heard the saying " If you hit stuff anything will break", well in club races I find it EXTREMELY hard to believe that you would never hit something, even a very good racer. And it's being brittle means it can't take hits like some other sedans...I have run my Kawada ALL year and have not replaced 1 thing, and believe me it has been hit by plenty of hackers. What good is a fast car if it can't finish races. Darkside will back me up when I say, there is only 1 TC3 that ever makes it to the top of the A at our races. The cars that make it are Corallys, ym34s Kawadas etc... There is a guy that is very fast with his TC3 when he finishes races, which isn't more than 50% of the time and this guy has been racing a long time...SO YES, THERE IS ALWAYS ROOM FOR IMPROVEMENT!
Old 10-04-2001, 05:57 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I have to agree with civic, at the club level.... The TC3 still needs help with durablility. Is it fast, yes, is it a great car, sure ,but for the average racer that hits the boards.. Still room for improvement. I know 3 people that have bought TC3's, only one still has it, and he is a Associated freak. Not that they did not like the car, but they broke too many parts. Now the two guys have RCLAB, and a Schumacher.. and race a whole lot more.. and both of them made a comment about the STR4 Pro last weekend at the track...