Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

OFNA LD3 pro

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2004, 06:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Wonder why I haven't had any tank problems yet, and I still have ol' original tank. Go fig.

Reset the car the other day. With the floating rear, I dropped down to red springs in the back, yellow up front, Front shock stood all the way up and rear somewhere in the middle hole, both top and bottom, 50 wt. oil all around. Set the camber at 3.5 degrees (I'll have to redo the rear arms for any more, and I didn't feel like taking it apart right then) Dropped the gears back to 15/21 (didn't like the acceleration the 16 gave me), kept the tranny at 44/38. 300k diff lube front, 100k in rear. Hopefully when I get to the track this weekens, I can find someone to true the tires and see how it works.
Old 07-21-2004, 08:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

....certainly had me scratchin my head
i hate when that happens!
Old 07-21-2004, 04:58 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Burnt out clutch shoe's

Hey what's up guy's, I've been having a few problems w/the car. The first is the gas tank since that seem's to be the latest trouble a selected few have been having. The part where the screws go in the bottom for some reason theres a crack there,don't know how this happens. Fuel just leaks out on the bottom of the chassis.

The other senario is,I changed the 42 spur gear thinking that it would put the car back up to par. When I grab a hand full the car just revs, Even when I adjust the throtle trim it just screams but goes nowhere, it just crawls around.

The guy @ the lhs say's it could be the dif. cups but those are straight. IMO i feel that if the clutch was biteing it would be out like it dose .

Dose any one out there have similar problems and how did they solve it, so I can figure out how to fix mine.
The part time racer BLaze1
thnx in advance......
Old 07-21-2004, 05:00 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)
Default Re: Burnt out clutch shoe's

Originally posted by Blaze1
Hey what's up guy's, I've been having a few problems w/the car. The first is the gas tank since that seem's to be the latest trouble a selected few have been having. The part where the screws go in the bottom for some reason theres a crack there,don't know how this happens. Fuel just leaks out on the bottom of the chassis.

The other senario is,I changed the 42 spur gear thinking that it would put the car back up to par. When I grab a hand full the car just revs, Even when I adjust the throtle trim it just screams but goes nowhere, it just crawls around.

The guy @ the lhs say's it could be the dif. cups but those are straight. IMO i feel that if the clutch was biteing it would be out like it dose .

Dose any one out there have similar problems and how did they solve it, so I can figure out how to fix mine.
The part time racer BLaze1
thnx in advance......
you might have the flywheel loose
Old 07-22-2004, 02:15 AM
Tech Apprentice

Blaze1,

When you tighten the screws all the way the tank is too rigid. Next time don't do them all the way. Leave a little "play" so that when you cop a hit in the side the tank has some room to move. I busted my first tank the same way. Since someone told me this hint I haven't had any trouble
Old 07-22-2004, 02:46 AM
sup
Tech Addict

try using about 1-2mm (i think 1mm will do) of fuel tubing as a washer between the chasis and the tank (where the screws pass thru) and tighten it upto a point where there is a little play. this will also reduce the vibrations that the engine makes. if you have spare rubber seals from shock rebuild kits, you may use them as washers too. hope this helps.
Old 07-22-2004, 06:23 AM
Tech Apprentice

Hey thanks for the suggestions there guy's. Right now i'm in prosses of tearing down the engine to check all posibility's as to what is causing this problem. That way I can get my order in to Ron @ NH. before the weekend ......
Old 07-22-2004, 07:00 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by sup
try using about 1-2mm (i think 1mm will do) of fuel tubing as a washer between the chasis and the tank (where the screws pass thru) and tighten it upto a point where there is a little play. this will also reduce the vibrations that the engine makes. if you have spare rubber seals from shock rebuild kits, you may use them as washers too. hope this helps.
Beat me to it! I did that mod last year and haven't had a problem since. No stripped screws and reduction in bubbling tank to boot.
Old 07-22-2004, 08:35 AM
Tech Apprentice

Can someone direct me to a link to where I can get a pic. of some clutch shoe's. Reason being i ant to get an idea on how far my shoe's has burnt down.
Old 07-22-2004, 08:58 AM
Tech Elite

maybe go to the nitro engine forum?
Old 07-22-2004, 10:38 AM
Tech Master

Burnt down? Probably takes a good deal of running to wear them down like a set of brake pads. Best guess take the clutch apart, sand down the shoes a bit, especially if they look glazed and shiny. If that doesn't work, check the tranny.
Old 07-22-2004, 11:10 AM
Tech Elite

ya i thought my shoes were gone but they were just glazed. thats why they were slipping! simple things can really annoy you.
Old 07-23-2004, 06:25 PM
Tech Apprentice

Nightmare, you have a PM.
Old 07-25-2004, 03:21 PM
Tech Master

Damnit....

Diff failure once again. Good thing there was no race today because of the threat of rain. It seems the diff case is warped where the pins for the spider gear slide down. This causes the diff to bind at inopportune times (like going into a turn), causing an instant spin. Now I have to reset the suspension, since I thought that was the cause of the car coming around. Very dissapointing. As soon as I came off the corner and touched the throttle, the rear came out. Oh well, 2 diff cases and 2 sets of gears are on order (just in case the front decides to act a fool)

It could be worse. This other dude I met had a TC3 with a NS12 and he killed his motor. I tried to tell him the tranny wasn't shifting, and he was doing nice WOT runs in the lot. While he has much more top end than my SX12 had, my engine still runs, while his conrod snapped and scarred the sleve in the process. I think my repairs will be much less than his...
Old 07-25-2004, 03:25 PM
Tech Master

Your warping the diffs?? 8-0 got some photos of that? Ive only ever ripped the heads off the screws when hitting things while drifting.

Might need some small alloy cases eh?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.