Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree23Likes

Team Orion HMX10 esc

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 12:33 AM
Tech Rookie

Can anyone honestly say what the noticeable difference is in the "Blinky" spec esc compared to the mod version? I understand it is in the software loaded from factory according to certain websites although the Orion website only lists the mod version. I have two of the mod version esc and run one of them in Blinky mode for stock racing. Seems to work fine this way. Basically wanting to know is it really necessary to run the "Blinky" version esc for stock racing? What are the advantages? I mean it is supposed to be zero timing in Blinky mode either way???

Cheers
Old 05-31-2017, 11:21 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Fuzza888
Can anyone honestly say what the noticeable difference is in the "Blinky" spec esc compared to the mod version? I understand it is in the software loaded from factory according to certain websites although the Orion website only lists the mod version. I have two of the mod version esc and run one of them in Blinky mode for stock racing. Seems to work fine this way. Basically wanting to know is it really necessary to run the "Blinky" version esc for stock racing? What are the advantages? I mean it is supposed to be zero timing in Blinky mode either way???

Cheers
I am also checking for comments for this ESC. Other then this post, no other finding after googling. Appreciated for any help!

Last edited by ricekwan; 06-01-2017 at 03:06 AM.
Old 06-01-2017, 01:35 PM
Tech Rookie

From Team Orion

hmxtechnology.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/FAQ_Blinky_Modified.pdf

MODIFIED OR BLINKY?
CHOOSE THE RIGHT ESC

MODIFIED / BLINKY FAQ

This document has been created to help you take the right decision whether to buy the ORI65132 Modified ESC or ORI65133 Blinky ESC.

Which ESC model should I buy, blinky or modified?

D If you‘re a pure stock racer who wants to participate at sanctioned stock races, you should go for the ORI65133 blinky ESC. The pre-installed firmware of this model has been fine tuned and optimized to reach the best performance and throttle/brake feeling using stock motors.

D If you‘re a modified racer using modified motors, you should go for the ORI65132 modified ESC. The pre-installed firmware of this model has been fine tuned and optimized to reach the best performance and throttle/brake feeling using modified motors.

Is it possible to install the blinky firmware on a modified ESC and vice versa?

D Yes this is possible using the smartphone app or the PC software. The firmware can be found directly in the app or on our website hmxtechnology.com/downloads if you‘re using the PC-software.

D Once installed on your ESC you will have the exact same result as if you bought the ESC with the firmware pre-installed.

In the app I have seen a blinky setting in the operational parameters. What is the difference of the blinky firmware and the blinky setting?

D If you turn on the blinky setting in the modified firmware, the timing functions of your ESC will be disabled and the ESC‘s red LED will blink. Timing settings will be ignored by the ESC when turned to blinky mode.

D However, with this setting you won‘t have the special, hidden blinky performance settings, which are included in the blinky firmware.

D Futhermore the modified firmware won‘t be homologated for sanctioned races.

D Turning on or off the blinky setting in the blinky firmware does not have any effect.

I installed the blinky firmware but I still can change timing settings in the app or
PC software. Will the ESC apply those timing settings?

D No, if you have the blinky firmware installed or the blinky setting turned on in the operational parameters, all timing will be ignored by the ESC.

Is the hardware of the two models any different?

D No, there is no difference in hardware. Both models, blinky and modified, are technically identical.
Old 06-01-2017, 01:38 PM
Tech Rookie

New Firmware has been released, I have since changed the firmware in my "modified" ESC to the blinky firmware and it works a treat. So no you don't need to buy specific blinky & mod esc's. Firmware can be changed.
Old 06-02-2017, 06:46 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

$385 lol

Well at least you'll get their (in)famous customer service for that price!
Old 06-06-2017, 07:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

For anyone interested in a blinky version, I will be listing mine in the forum later today. I love the speedo and the android interface, but it is much heavier than the R10.1. For what I am racing, I need to shave some weight. PM me if interested.
Old 06-12-2017, 10:31 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Boot mode

Mine has stoped working when I plug into the pc it comes up with an error message

Connection to device failed device is in boot mode

And the esc alternate flashes green/red

is there a bank door reset before I drop kick it back to Orion
Old 06-13-2017, 01:38 AM
Tech Rookie

Default hmx

mine also stopped working after 4 lipo's, esc seems to get in tilt modus and doesn't do annything on throttle, esc getting very hot after failing with only plugged in,
started with perfect gearing and racing for 25 years electro cars, so i'm not a noob
send it back to Orion and emailed them but not get any response
now i have no hmx and left a big hole in my wallet
have all orion products r10 and r10.1 with no problems
grtz and hope you have something on this message
Old 06-13-2017, 06:53 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by stuey
Mine has stoped working when I plug into the pc it comes up with an error message
Connection to device failed device is in boot mode
And the esc alternate flashes green/red
Originally Posted by Mr.Cooper
mine also stopped working after 4 lipo's, esc seems to get in tilt modus and doesn't do annything on throttle, esc getting very hot after failing with only plugged in,
started with perfect gearing and racing for 25 years electro cars, so i'm not a noob
Unfortunately this doesn't help either of you, but perhaps may help others.

Had either of you updated to the newest firmware and PC software?
Or were you still on the shipped firmware?

Just curious to see if there is a trend here. If both were on a common firmware or different etc.

I haven't installed mine yet, but I did update to the newest firmware, and it looks like there is no going back as you can't get the original firmware .bin file.

Thanks and keep us updated on any solutions!

Mike
Old 06-13-2017, 08:41 AM
Tech Rookie

Default hmx

esc had shipped firmware on it,
there was no update available at the moment i had mine
Old 06-14-2017, 12:43 PM
Tech Addict

Need some opinions here, normally when I outfit a new 4x SCT I install 1/8 sized Esc's. However I did notice that certain team drivers were using the R10.1 instead of the R8.1 in their trucks. With that in mind, and my first inclination to ignore what they do, I went to Amain to pick up a new R8.1 Pro. However it was suddenly listed as discontinued and the next day wasn't even on their site anymore. So I scroll down and see the new HMX10, which has a higher continuous rating than the R10.1 250>180.

Now I don't see Orion getting out of the 1/8 game so given the release of a new 1/10 Esc, I'd expect a new 1/8 Esc, with the new 32bit, app adjustable goodness to be on the near horizon. Unfortunately everyone's mute about that....

So is it safe to run the HMX10 in an almost 8 pound 550 4pole 4000kv (Orion) 4x4 short course truck? My SCT is basically an EBuggy on 2s (DESC10) which is why I'm concerned. I think I'd stab myself in the forehead with a 2.4g antenna if I smoked a $385 Esc because of misuse.

I mentioned what the team drivers are doing only because I always questioned the practice. My Tekin RX8G2's and PRO4HD's come off the track hot after 10 minutes, I can only imagine what a 1/10 Esc would feel like.

So is a smart course to take, find another shop that still has an R8.1 Pro, wait for Orion to drop something or go with the HMX10 until they do, then move it to a car later down the road?
Old 06-14-2017, 01:09 PM
Tech Addict

Oh yeah, I'm not dreaming.....
Attached Thumbnails Team Orion HMX10 esc-screenshot_20170614-160703.jpg  
Old 06-14-2017, 01:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Alan_r
Need some opinions here, normally when I outfit a new 4x SCT I install 1/8 sized Esc's. However I did notice that certain team drivers were using the R10.1 instead of the R8.1 in their trucks. With that in mind, and my first inclination to ignore what they do, I went to Amain to pick up a new R8.1 Pro. However it was suddenly listed as discontinued and the next day wasn't even on their site anymore. So I scroll down and see the new HMX10, which has a higher continuous rating than the R10.1 250>180.

Now I don't see Orion getting out of the 1/8 game so given the release of a new 1/10 Esc, I'd expect a new 1/8 Esc, with the new 32bit, app adjustable goodness to be on the near horizon. Unfortunately everyone's mute about that....

So is it safe to run the HMX10 in an almost 8 pound 550 4pole 4000kv (Orion) 4x4 short course truck? My SCT is basically an EBuggy on 2s (DESC10) which is why I'm concerned. I think I'd stab myself in the forehead with a 2.4g antenna if I smoked a $385 Esc because of misuse.

I mentioned what the team drivers are doing only because I always questioned the practice. My Tekin RX8G2's and PRO4HD's come off the track hot after 10 minutes, I can only imagine what a 1/10 Esc would feel like.

So is a smart course to take, find another shop that still has an R8.1 Pro, wait for Orion to drop something or go with the HMX10 until they do, then move it to a car later down the road?
That's a $400 experiment I'd rather not attempt lol. I'm sure it could handle the amp draw if their numbers are true though.
Old 06-14-2017, 08:06 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by EbbTide
That's a $400 experiment I'd rather not attempt lol. I'm sure it could handle the amp draw if their numbers are true though.
Yeah that's kind of where I was at man. Funny thing though, the HMX has a higher continuous AND peak amp rating than the 8.1,which is understandable given that potential amperage could be higher for a 2s setup. It used to be you had to get a 1/8 Esc because they were the only Esc's rated high enough,but that's been dead for a while now with good 1/10 Esc's all being in the 160+ continuous range. So perhaps this "need" for an 8th scale esc in a 4x SCT is just an old habit that needs to die??
Old 06-15-2017, 07:51 AM
Tech Addict

And the answer cometh....HMX8 dropping late August. Nice

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.