Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree23Likes

Team Orion HMX10 esc

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2017, 02:34 PM
Tech Regular

Default Team Orion HMX10 esc

Just noticed that Team Orion well release a new esc. Any input ore thoughts about it?
Old 02-04-2017, 03:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 78 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Love my Orion esc's but they are a little salty price wise.....don't see that changing anytime soon.
Old 02-06-2017, 01:19 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I'll be trying one out for sure!
Old 05-03-2017, 07:14 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Just installed mine. Club racing tonight. Seems very smooth and instant on the bench. More to come.
Old 05-03-2017, 12:24 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by checo55
Just installed mine. Club racing tonight. Seems very smooth and instant on the bench. More to come.
Does it have frequency adjustment for throttle and brakes?
Old 05-03-2017, 05:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by skater-deez1
Love my Orion esc's but they are a little salty price wise.....don't see that changing anytime soon.
From the Horizon site:
Part# Description Retail Street Price Net Margin
ORI65132 HMX 10 Controller Modified $479.99 $384.99 $269.99 $115.00
ORI65133 HMX 10 Controller Blinky $479.99 $384.99 $269.99 $115.00

Does anyone know if $384.99 is considered a MAP or might we expect a lower price in the near future?
Old 05-03-2017, 08:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

My lhs had stock but don't know the price yet.If the price $384 plus tax then i stick with my orion r10.1...
Old 05-06-2017, 11:53 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Review of the HMX 10

Ok guys, I took one for the team and bought the new HMX 10 and I wanted to give a review.

The price is $385.00. Orion products are not cheap and this is no exception, but must admit that I'm disappointed to say the least.

In the box you get a beautiful zipper carrying case, esc with fan attached, one 6 inch micro usb to micro usb cable, and one business card of basic info like hmx website, and a sticker sheet. NOTHING ELSE!! No instructions, no cable that allows you to connect to your computer, nothing to tell you how to calibrate(more on that in a bit). It felt very bare bones / unprepared. I'm not sure I need a zipper carrying case anyway???

One difference with the new hmx is the on/off switch no longer has the button which is used for calibration/changing esc settings(like the 10.1 has). In fact, the hmx has zero buttons at all. You must either have the android app or have the hmx software loaded on your computer JUST TO CALIBRATE. You read that correct, you can't even calibrate the remote to the esc if you don't have your phone(with app) or computer with you.

Once I got the hmx software loaded in the computer, and retrieved a USB to micro usb(which is not included with the esc and must be purchased separately), I got the remote calibrated to the esc. Thanks again Orion for not having any instructions included.

The "hmx software" is basic at best. Honestly, I felt like I took a time machine back to 2012 because the interface, the settings, and even the look is dated. If you owned any previous version of Orion esc, this looks the same and I expected a bit more of an update. There is no option for throttle or brake frequency adjustment (some call it PWN pulse width modulation). I am blown away that Tekin, Maclan, Hobbywing, Reedy, all have this adjustment and Orion doesn't even give you the option. Don't like how your brakes/throttle feel on the hmx? Well, tough $hit because you don't any option to change the feel through frequency. Don't be fooled by the marketing hype and fancy look of the app, this is basically the same thing as before with minimal updates. Certainly not enough upgrades to justify the huge price tag.

Performance on the track is all that matters at the end of the day and I am willing to pay big bucks and go through the learning curve if it translates to better performance on track. If you have owned any previous Orion esc's, this feels the same. The 250 amp per phase claim with 2000 amp burst specs of the hmx are what attracted me to this, but I was disappointed. It immediately reminded me of my 10.1 pro in both throttle feel and braking. I did not feel "immediately connected" or whatever terms the Orion marketing team have come up with. It felt a little smoother, but absolutely not worth the price tag whatsoever. Don't get me wrong, the orion throttle and braking is one of the smoothest out and I should be clear that I race 17.5 buggy so this esc may be a better fit if you race mod. I certainly did't run faster laps with the hmx.

The hmx doesn't require the program box to make changes to the esc, but the price tag is basically the 10.1 cost($250) + program box cost($100). My theory is previously several friends could all buy 10.1 esc's, but only needed one program box to make firmware changes, etc. With the new hmx, Orion is basically including the cost of the program box with the esc cost and now has figured out a way to get everyone to "buy" a program box. I think the addition of the 32 bit feature is more to have the esc connect directly to a computer and hasn't translated to significantly improved performance.

Maybe we will get a firmware update that allows for more adjust-ability, but for now this esc is not worth it. Stick with the Maclan, Hobbywing, Tekin, etc. I hope this helps someone before you fall for the hype like I did.
HuffdawgMotors likes this.
Old 05-06-2017, 02:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Freeski
Ok guys, I took one for the team and bought the new HMX 10 and I wanted to give a review.

The price is $385.00. Orion products are not cheap and this is no exception, but must admit that I'm disappointed to say the least.

In the box you get a beautiful zipper carrying case, esc with fan attached, one 6 inch micro usb to micro usb cable, and one business card of basic info like hmx website, and a sticker sheet. NOTHING ELSE!! No instructions, no cable that allows you to connect to your computer, nothing to tell you how to calibrate(more on that in a bit). It felt very bare bones / unprepared. I'm not sure I need a zipper carrying case anyway???

One difference with the new hmx is the on/off switch no longer has the button which is used for calibration/changing esc settings(like the 10.1 has). In fact, the hmx has zero buttons at all. You must either have the android app or have the hmx software loaded on your computer JUST TO CALIBRATE. You read that correct, you can't even calibrate the remote to the esc if you don't have your phone(with app) or computer with you.

Once I got the hmx software loaded in the computer, and retrieved a USB to micro usb(which is not included with the esc and must be purchased separately), I got the remote calibrated to the esc. Thanks again Orion for not having any instructions included.

The "hmx software" is basic at best. Honestly, I felt like I took a time machine back to 2012 because the interface, the settings, and even the look is dated. If you owned any previous version of Orion esc, this looks the same and I expected a bit more of an update. There is no option for throttle or brake frequency adjustment (some call it PWN pulse width modulation). I am blown away that Tekin, Maclan, Hobbywing, Reedy, all have this adjustment and Orion doesn't even give you the option. Don't like how your brakes/throttle feel on the hmx? Well, tough $hit because you don't any option to change the feel through frequency. Don't be fooled by the marketing hype and fancy look of the app, this is basically the same thing as before with minimal updates. Certainly not enough upgrades to justify the huge price tag.

Performance on the track is all that matters at the end of the day and I am willing to pay big bucks and go through the learning curve if it translates to better performance on track. If you have owned any previous Orion esc's, this feels the same. The 250 amp per phase claim with 2000 amp burst specs of the hmx are what attracted me to this, but I was disappointed. It immediately reminded me of my 10.1 pro in both throttle feel and braking. I did not feel "immediately connected" or whatever terms the Orion marketing team have come up with. It felt a little smoother, but absolutely not worth the price tag whatsoever. Don't get me wrong, the orion throttle and braking is one of the smoothest out and I should be clear that I race 17.5 buggy so this esc may be a better fit if you race mod. I certainly did't run faster laps with the hmx.

The hmx doesn't require the program box to make changes to the esc, but the price tag is basically the 10.1 cost($250) + program box cost($100). My theory is previously several friends could all buy 10.1 esc's, but only needed one program box to make firmware changes, etc. With the new hmx, Orion is basically including the cost of the program box with the esc cost and now has figured out a way to get everyone to "buy" a program box. I think the addition of the 32 bit feature is more to have the esc connect directly to a computer and hasn't translated to significantly improved performance.

Maybe we will get a firmware update that allows for more adjust-ability, but for now this esc is not worth it. Stick with the Maclan, Hobbywing, Tekin, etc. I hope this helps someone before you fall for the hype like I did.
This is all true. I was there when this happened and I saw Freeski exploded in the pit. hahahaha

Last edited by Phillip F; 05-06-2017 at 03:47 PM.
Old 05-06-2017, 04:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Freeski

Appreciated for your feedback... Glad didn't buy yet I'll stick with my orion r10.1
Old 05-08-2017, 03:08 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I bought a couple myself to upgrade from the 10.1. What Im pissed about is if you buy the Mod HMX 10 you can not download the stock software to run blinky. Same problem if you buy the blinky Hmx 10 you can not download the mod software.
Old 05-08-2017, 06:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

I just bought a Maclan, it seems they have a USB port on board the esc that is not functional. Although I didn't pay the Orion price.

They will fix the orion i'm sure, hang in there. Sounds like just a firmware update but i would be upset too.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:05 PM
Tech Rookie

I have had 2 hmx speedos for which I used a computer to change settings as my 2 phones will not allow me to do nothing.Just for your info I have been able to go back n forth from blinky mode to normal mode.When I go into blinky the red led blinks and you can't change the advanced settings(which is good).I agree they should cost less and have a video or good instruction on how to use them.Just thought I would put what my exp. was so far.

Last edited by Squiggy1; 05-09-2017 at 09:17 PM. Reason: new info
Old 05-09-2017, 09:18 PM
Tech Rookie

In blinky the red led blinks ans with blinky off it does not.Hope this helps.All this was done on my laptop.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:54 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Squiggy1
I have had 2 hmx speedos for which I used a computer to change settings as my 2 phones will not allow me to do nothing.Just for your info I have been able to go back n forth from blinky mode to normal mode.When I go into blinky the red led blinks and you can't change the advanced settings(which is good).I agree they should cost less and have a video or good instruction on how to use them.Just thought I would put what my exp. was so far.
With the Mod HMX version you can put it into blinky mode. But you can not download the stock software with has more settings for running in blinky mode. The Mod software is not optimized for running 17.5 or 13.5. With the R10.1 you could download the stock or mod software. I talk with horizon hobby and they told me there is no way right now to download or install the stock or mod software. This is a real pain in the ass as I had to send two of my three units back for the blinky HMX10.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.