Wiki Posts
Search

GT class--buggy-based on road!

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 08:14 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rdcracer
I don't know why we need 2 classes. I have been around this hobby since 79 and through most of that we had stock and modified.
That sounds like a contradiction right there.

If anyone here believes that the car that won the last spec main at SS was stock please post. What we are seeing now are some very experienced racers dominating the class with the ability to set up, tune, and drive the IGT very well, and in some cases it is becoming questionable whether or not that is being accomplished within the current rules.

Its only a matter of time before the K28s started hatching. How many racers are going to shell out $150 for that motor when much better motors are available for about the same price? I have already replaced a control arm with what I thought was the same part - nope - slightly different part maybe from the 7.5? Same with the pivot pins. I'll need some driveshafts soon and I definitely don't want the same cheap bones that came with the kit only to replace them again in a couple more gallons.

The problem with spec will end up being teching the cars which will require disassembly and time based on the current rules. I think one solution may be to allow some basic mods and maybe a $200 limit on the motor so the car can be teched without disassembly. The chassis will end up being the limiting factor anyway. The point will arrive quickly where the cost will not justify the gains. I don't see everyone throwing hundreds of dollars into this chassis or any other buggy-based shaft drive chassis. Most mods will simply be to increase reliability and tunability more than performance.

If the class does end up going this way it still won't kill it's entry level potential. You can't buy a 1:10 sedan or 1:8 car for $400 and start racing. A beginner like myself isn't going to win anyway until he/she has a lot of driving/setup/tuning experience regardless of the mods on the car. You simply start in the lower mains until your abilities exceed the chassis' abilities and then begin with the upgrades.

I don't think the startup cost or the cost of a few mods will end up being a deciding factor in making this class successful. The key will be keeping the recurring costs down with rubber tires and allowing any buggy-based chassis to race this class. Allowing some mods only increases the fun factor and decreases the headaches.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

I don't know why we need 2 classes. I have been around this hobby since 79 and through most of that we had stock and modified. If newbies showed up they would qualify in A,B C ect main and race there. Qualifiers were set up by experience. No bump ups. This kept the level of drivers together. If a newbe was good he had a chance to prove it. If he qualified in the C it gave him a goal to improve upward. I believe this class is a great idea and should be kept as is. It is affordable and I have had some great racing expieriences with it. The Kissimmee qualfiers is proof of that. The racing was great with the first 3 within 1 second of each other.
Sorry but for us newbies (I have only been in this for a few years), we do not view the lower mains as the separation of abilities...

We view first in the B main as 11th position or first in C main is 21st position, not first in second best group. This is key for some of you to understand, that the new people do not get nor have been explained that what B, C, D means....

Until there is a major marketing event to educate, this will be problem. And if you do this, I still do not think you will get people to understand this...
Old 05-14-2008, 05:15 AM
Tech Elite

No bump ups.The Kissimmee qualfiers is proof of that.
I like Bump-Ups

At the US Open, I had the worst electrical gremlins of my life during qualifing.

Bump-Ups are one of the best things about R/C racing, they let the cream rise to the top.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:24 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Very well put

ESWLFSE,that was very well put,maybe some of us was saying it the wrong way but is the point we tried over and over to put up for thought but a couple of guys just can not see the big picture,but for myself what ever we come up with it,s ok with me the reason is I've been at this for a very long time and I love this hobby so a couple of flash in the pan guys that for some reason or another wants 15 mins of fame will never kill rc and the joy of building it and see if it works.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:23 AM
Tech Elite

Mike,

Working together, we can grow the popularity of both types of “RG” racing anyway.

Dude, there are enough of both class cars here in Florida to run them all together and maybe establish some kind of “Break-Out” from “Stock” to “Super-Stock” like Barry was saying a few lines back.

Don’t know if the scoring-software at the tracks can handle it like they do in “American Grand Prix” racing, but if it can; what’s the problem?

If both classes grow too big for that, they could become “stand-alone” classes or even events.
Old 05-17-2008, 08:40 PM
Tech Regular

Yes I would like to speak up. The last guy that won was running completely stock. My son was right in there with him with the car that he got from Ronnie at the raffle in Kissimmee and the motor has never been out of the car and the only thing I have been able to add is the sway bars. If I am not mistaken Dave won and I know for a fact he is running stock and has not raced since about Feb due to Offroad commitments. I qualified 3rd with the same laps as
TQ, with a stock motor I had just finished breaking in to replace the one I blew up at the TV spot we had on theTuesday before. Anytime you want to check out my car I would be more than happy to open up the engine and let you tech my car. I am home every evening. Why is it the fast guys are always cheating. NO ONE has yet to show this to be true. I thought this was put to rest at Kissimmee when they teched us.
Why don't we just race these things and get over it. If someone is using a cheater engine isn't it obvious when the blast past you on the strait. This just isnt happening. The gains are on the infield with better driving and handling.

Last edited by rdcracer; 05-17-2008 at 08:58 PM. Reason: Add info
Old 05-18-2008, 03:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 109 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MikaR
Have you guys seen this yet? GT2

-longer chassis (maybe from ST US)
-sg shaft engine with engine mounts and smaller dia flywheel
-clutch bell with bearings
-double disks on the brake
-150ml fuel tank (from ST-R)
-very cool new Audi DTM body!!!

who in the usa is selling this car and where can i find info on it?
Old 05-18-2008, 04:31 AM
Tech Regular

the GT2 should be avaiable sometime in september according to all the info thats out there so far.
Old 05-18-2008, 06:37 AM
Tech Regular

Is that a new and improved engine on that thing?
Old 05-18-2008, 03:04 PM
Tech Master

I rest my case
Old 05-19-2008, 01:30 AM
Tech Master

GT2 on September.. it sounds it's the machine for the next season then..

And yes, no sideguards just like in ST US, so it must be ST chassis.

Last edited by MikaR; 05-19-2008 at 04:07 AM.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:12 PM
Tech Regular

Is the tank in the gt2 150cc? It looks bigger than a buggy tank.

Looks like dual disk brakes in there?
Old 05-19-2008, 08:13 PM
Tech Regular

that's what it says in the upper left of the pic.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:54 AM
Tech Elite

The new IGT?

Old 05-20-2008, 04:42 PM
Tech Elite

WTF! Dork game spammer... get that crap off the site..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.