Tech Elite

Something like that :-)
Old 01-18-2007, 08:38 AM
Tech Apprentice

I was just acting retarded. lol
Old 01-18-2007, 05:16 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Aaron Waldron
The AD2 was a pretty significant change in terms of durability and performance over the AD1.........At least...for long enough until Losi runs out of other projects and gets to update the rut-rut!

aaron.....can you elaborate as to what those specific terms of durability and performance are that the ad2 has over the ad1 please? i have an ad1 and i'm thinking about an ad2.

is it safe to say that the ad2 is going to be around for a couple more years before an update is considered/planned by losi? thanks.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:49 AM
Tech Elite

Durability...the materials for a few things were changed, and certain parts like the front arms (from the MF2), rear arms, rear shock tower, and the rear pivot block were beefed up with more material.

Performance..the new truck is more adjustable, has more overall rear traction (the biggest advantage performance-wise), and the AD2 body makes the truck jump quite a bit better. I remember testing stuff for the AD2 and being blown away with how much faster we could go on nearly every track condition. There was never a situation for me that I was faster with the old truck...the lower the traction level is, the bigger the difference is between the AD1 and AD2 rear end.

The chassis on the AD2 (which can be used on the AD1, they're the same) is machined. There are two new fuel line clips to help organize your tubing situation (haha). The wheels are universal (front and rear, a BIG help!) and the truck comes with threaded rear axles, or the quick change clip axles (which everyone runs everywhere...they work great). The rear hubs are aluminum with vertical ballstuds (a nearly automatic upgrade on the old truck) and the rear hub bearings are larger, so they hold up to more abuse.

I still maintain that gas truck is the most fun I've ever had on an R/C track. When the track is good, and your truck is working well, it's better than any other class out there!
Old 01-22-2007, 10:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Whats the difference between running the spindle high compared to low in a XXX-CR?
Old 01-22-2007, 10:59 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

any word on the plastic chassis for the xxx4?
Old 01-22-2007, 11:07 PM
Tech Elite

maxxman - Haven't heard anything...I'll kick out another e-mail. Sorry about that.

k-king - Spindle height affects the roll center, but it also changes ground clearance too...so it's not a very common adjustment.

To tell you the truth, I've never changed it.
Old 01-22-2007, 11:20 PM
Tech Master

Hi,

just a few quick questions for you. I'm in the process of building my XXX-CR and....

After I had to get someone else to machine out the motor plate (because silver can 540s don't fit - that's stock here in New Zealand) I now notice that the gear cover doesn't look like it will take a 30t pinion or larger without shredding the cover to bits....

Is there a cover with a larger pinion area that will fit the gear box?

The top shaft in the assembled gear box has approx 2mm of movement/free play even after installing the spacer mentioned in the instructions...

Is this free play supposed to be there or should I try and shim it out? The same applies to the slop in the center gear.

I have sent and called Losi about parts that were missing from my kit, how long do they take to reply usually, it's been over a week now and I have had to raid the second kit I purchased (for race spares) to even finish construction.

To date there are....

Not enough foam things provided

Rear axel aluminum spacer missing

And no diff grease in either kit
Old 01-23-2007, 12:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

could you not just run the ad2 rear toe pivot instead of the ad1 rear toe pivot. The biggest differance between the two trucks is that the ad2 is better suited for today's race enviroment. When the ad1 was released most club racers were running gas truck on the same day as 1/10 electric. With the popularity of 1/8th scale emerging the ad2 was made to handle a rutted up track better and be durable. There have also been vast improvements on motors. A o.s. t-r is no longer the cream of the crop power plant. The increased toe in that the ad2 pivot block provides allows for racers to better use newer more powerful engines. I guess the simple way to put it. If you race on a very forgiving and smooth track that doesn't leave you dnf often and you run a cv-r or equivelent, they are still very capable motors on small tracks and super reliable, then I would not pick one up. However, if you have a upper end power plant or race on a rough track then it should be well worth the investment.
Old 01-23-2007, 11:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

well i got my 8ight today. And the first mod is the throttle plate by kingheads. Hopefully i will be able to decide on a motor soon. Aaron, a modded p5x vs a modded O.S. v-spec. both with jp-3 pipes, for tracks like boulder city.
Old 01-25-2007, 12:31 AM
Tech Elite

Mabuchi - The motor won't fit? I'm not at all familiar with the can layout of those motors.

As far as I know, there is no gear cover designed to take larger gears. A 30 tooth pinion is HUGE, especially considering that most motors are geared in the ballpark of a 20 (give or take a few).

Are your transmission shafts wobbling? Or just sliding back and forth? A little bit of play is fine and will help allow the transmission to spin freely. If the bearings fit tightly in the tranny case and the tranny rotates smoothly, it shouldn't be anything to worry about. If you still feel the play is excessive, you can shim some of it out but be careful not to create drag.

I usually tighten the tranny case screws in my electric cars until they are just snug, not tight, just to help the tranny spin freely and not bind.

I can't explain the missing parts, I have no idea. When you called Losi, did you leave a message or talk to someone? Try to call during business hours and ask for Bill Goldsmith. Explain the situation with parts missing from your kit and he should be able to help you out. You can also try contacting the Australian distributor (I'm pretty sure it's Model Flight) to see what they can do for you.

party-wagon - I think the big difference in performance from the AD1 to the AD2 comes from the rear hubs and new dogbones. You could run the new pivot block with rest of the old rear suspension; if you are running the AD1 rear hubs, you'd have too much rear toe-in. If you have the stock XXX-NT rear hubs, you'd be OK on toe-in, but it still wouldn't have the hubs and dogbones.

I would argue that the AD2 is an improvement, regardless of your engine or track. Not because I'm meaning to sell anyone a kit, but because I don't believe there's a situation where an easier-to-drive vehicle isn't an advantage.

bigedmond - Of course this sounds like a biased comment, but I don't believe one bit that the servo tray braces are needed; incorrect linkage and EPA adjustments will blow servos, brace or not.

Of those two engines, I'd probably lean towards the V-Spec. It's hard to argue against that engine in terms of performance and reliability. I am a pretty firm believer that "modified" engines are COMPLETELY over-rated, and unnecessary.
Old 01-25-2007, 01:42 AM
Tech Master

Default Thanks for the reply.....

Yeah the motor wouldn't fit because the 540 bearing boss was too wide for the slot but I got someone to open it up for me. I know 30 is huge but a stock 540 is only like 14500 revs so they usually need to be geared up.

The shafts were just sliding back and forth but once the slipper was on it was sweet, although spur still had wobble, but Casper on the XXX-CR thread mentioned replacing the plastic bushing with another bearing and that all but cured the problem. Never having had a car with a slipper before (my last off-roader was a JRx2 lol) I probably wasn't making sure the pads were sitting properly because after putting the extra bearing in and re-assembling it was perfectly fine.

I also put a .13 mm shim on either side of the center gear and it's a lot better, I tried a .13 and a .25 but that created drag.

The tranny case screws were more critical than I thought also, after much checking it turns out that even a 1/4 of the screws can make my ceramic bearings seem like they are full of grease.

As for the missing parts, I called during office hours and the lady I spoke to said the person I needed to speak to was busy so I left a message but have had no reply.

Calling again from New Zealand would probably be cost prohibitive. : (

You couldn't ask Bill Goldsmith to check the feedback emails for a couple from the isp @xtra.co.nz could you?

I don't imagine there would be many from this country. Or you could pm me and pass on my email address to him maybe?
Old 01-25-2007, 04:36 PM
Tech Elite

How long ago did you send your e-mail?

I'll try to get a hold of someone at the office next week, a lot of the people I talk to are at the race in Florida.
Old 01-25-2007, 04:47 PM
Tech Master

Post Well I didn't save.....

Originally Posted by Aaron Waldron
How long ago did you send your e-mail?

I'll try to get a hold of someone at the office next week, a lot of the people I talk to are at the race in Florida.
the first email unfortunately but I sent the second one on the 22 Jan and I do know the first one was the week before that (exact day unknown).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.