Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Radioshack power supply not really 25A?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 05:41 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)
Default Radioshack power supply not really 25A?

I picked up the 25A switching power supply, I have an older HUDY tire truer with a huge motor, my old pc powersupply I was using couldn't handle it, and neither can this radishack unit. I am using a 10A rated car battery charger and it works fine off that. I am thinking it's pulling too much when the switch is flipped on, maybe a small cap to buffer the hit?
Old 12-08-2006, 07:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I had a similar issue with my Radio Shack unit...I suspect that it sees the current spike at startup as a potential short and the internal electronics of the unit shut itself down as protection.

As a fix, I went to a 30A Rivergate Bulldog and haven't looked back.

The Radio Shack unit will indeed deliever its rated load...its internal circuitry just goes into failsafe when it sees a current spike.
Old 12-08-2006, 04:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I don't run a truer off of mine but do run three Pulsar chargers, two Smart Trays and Tirewarmers with no problems. But to be fair I have not run the tire warmers while charging or equalizing. Never had it shut down on me.
Old 12-08-2006, 05:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I had no issues running multiple chargers or other steady draw devices off of mine either...it was when a large draw spike such as starting a motor occurred it would go into failsafe and turn off.
Old 12-08-2006, 05:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I had the same issue with mine. I flipped the switch and it spun for a second and then shut off.
Old 12-08-2006, 05:23 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

I'm going to try using my 1F cap in my car as a buffer as a test, if it works, I'll see if a much smaller cap that I could mount under the truer would be enough.
Old 12-08-2006, 07:25 PM
Tech Elite

I have a 15amp Radio shack PS, and I have run a tire truer on it many times.
this is a newer truer though. Maybe the motor in your truer needs some attention....
Old 02-16-2008, 09:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Is ther a way for this 25amp Radioshack P/S to accept 220v AC? thanks

http://www.radioshack.com/family/ind...upport=support
Old 02-17-2008, 09:08 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MikeXray
I picked up the 25A switching power supply, I have an older HUDY tire truer with a huge motor, my old pc powersupply I was using couldn't handle it, and neither can this radishack unit. I am using a 10A rated car battery charger and it works fine off that. I am thinking it's pulling too much when the switch is flipped on, maybe a small cap to buffer the hit?

The key word is it's a switching power supply, which is designed to shut down if too much current is drawn. That big motor on the Hudy (I think I have the same truer) takes a TREMEDOUS amount of power to get going. The battery charger will handle that initial load.

The best and cheapest way to power the truer is one of those 12v gel cells that they use in starter boxes and airplane flight boxes.
Old 02-17-2008, 02:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

if it was a 25 amp it would be huge and heavy!! My much more power supply is also not a 25 amp as it is claimed!!
Old 02-17-2008, 03:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

must be a bunch of user error, or problem with the stuff you guys are running off of it. I have had mine for over a year and taxed the pi$$ out of mine on multiple occasions (including the Hudy automatic truer) and wasnt a hic-up, fart, or any other problems

I for one couldnt be happier with mine
Old 02-17-2008, 04:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Drifting101
if it was a 25 amp it would be huge and heavy!! My much more power supply is also not a 25 amp as it is claimed!!
Originally Posted by MikeXray
I Have the Radioshack powersupply and its runs my Hudy fine but on some of the older models of hudy turers I find it will not start it. I found that if I spin the tire while I hit the switch it starts up fine. I have seen the much more run the Hudy just fine and seen people pull 30amp dyno runs on them also.

I have also put 2 6 cells pack together and run my truer off of them. I just use the ones I have in my starterbox for my 1/8th scale cars