Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sanyo 3000HV cells!

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2001, 03:09 PM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

rainblows: My last post was stating why I think the number of cycles are important.

You are correct that if the company you plan on buying your cells from has stabilized the cell before printing the info then if they were done at .85 or .90 it shouldn't be that important. If they are HV's it's even less important and I would reccomend HV's over SMH's.

I personally feel .90 is more representative to when a cell will dump on the track.
Old 12-10-2001, 03:18 PM
Tech Apprentice

I am not confused, the company with the 365 cell had let it stabilize, the other company had not, that is why there was a 15 second difference. the runtime is going to be highest on the first cycle.
Old 12-11-2001, 09:19 PM
Tech Adept

Thank you guys for the discussion!

I have a question to Danny, it is true that every charger has different characteristic? the reason I am asking because I have some experience let say we charge our cell at 5 amps, linear charging with .12 cut off on two different charger Turbo 35BL and Protrak, the result on both charger is different!

If these charger have different charging characteristic and the cell mached differently than the charger that we have, is the number printed on the cell will still applies?
Old 12-12-2001, 09:09 AM
Company Representative

xray: What kind of difference do you see between a charge with the Pro-Trak vs. t-35 ?

Numbers on cells should be used as info for the matcher to match up the cells. Then the consumer looks at a given pack and if the numbers look good to him he will by the pack.

I personally have been using CE chargers for the 13 years or so and they have always worked great plus our matching equipment is CE.
Old 12-12-2001, 09:45 AM
Tech Apprentice

Danny, I have a Turbo Matcher 4 that I use for personal rematching of cells, what would you suggest for settings on it for both 3000HV's and 2400s? Thanks Curtis.
Old 12-12-2001, 10:57 AM
Company Representative

I would use 6 amps with a .02 peak detect for both cells and 30 amps for the discharge.
Old 12-12-2001, 10:59 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks Danny.
Old 12-26-2001, 06:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

OK ...I'm thoroughly impressed with these cells.

Here's the "setup" for my story ...rewind about a month in time... I always use long lockout on my T35 (bad expereince early on with a pack that false peaked for the "main"), I "thought" I had this system where I would not charge a pack twice ...well it failed. I started charging a pack that was apparantly already charged, went to run a practice run, stopped and BS'd with a friend and by the time I came back to my pit space there was all kinds of snap-crackle-pop noises (and it wasn't rice krispies either).

Well now fast forward to today, after taking the pack apart ...assuming it was toast I cycled each battery individually in hopes of at least some being salvagable. ...well the individual numbers I came up with seem to indicate that there was no harm done (other than the shrink wrap melted off of every cell, down to the manufacturer shrik wrap!)

...I'm picking up shrink wrap and battery bars tomorrow at my LHS to reassemble the pack and see what the pack numbers turn out.

Incidentally, I did the same thing to an SMH pack (I know, I know) ...and 1 cell is completely dead 2 others are pretty far gone.
Old 12-26-2001, 11:35 PM
Tech Initiate

hey guys what kind of settings you use for charging ya batteries?

what do you charge them at?

and then what do you do at the end of the day?

cheers Ryan
Old 12-27-2001, 11:16 AM
Company Representative

Harshguy: I have had similar experiences with some test packs. We also managed to dump a pack in 3 minutes on the track which equates to a 55 amp average. All the shrink melted and the next day the pack cycled out to the same numbers as it did previously.

This cell is simply great. With a bit of care they hold up very well and it seems like they can take some abuse.

Have you tried traying and deadshorting yet ? If so any difference on the track ?
Old 12-27-2001, 11:22 AM
Company Representative

Ryan C: Here is how we have been charging our HV's.

Mod: 5 , 6 or 7 amps with a .07 peak detect. If your close to dumping use a lower charge rate. If your far from dumping and want more power use a higher charge rate.

stock: 8 , 9 or 10 with a .07 peak detect. At Cleveland our drivers used 8 amps with great success. We have used higher rates but some have noted a drop off in times at the end of the race. I personally don't think it's the pack dropping off but the increase in power from the pack will make the motor hotter so maybe dropping a tooth could help.

After the race discharge at 30 amps down to 5.4 for a 6 cell pack or 3.6 for a 4 cell.

Let the pack rest a few hours and then it's ready to use again.

Store discharged down to 5.4 or 3.6.
Old 12-27-2001, 05:58 PM
Tech Elite

Danny, I just cycled an HV pack for the first time. At 20 amps, the AIR for the pack it 24.5, is this good or bad? They are head and shoulders above any other pack I've cycled, and I only charged them at 4 amps! I'm a little scared to go over 7 amps with them though
Old 12-27-2001, 06:26 PM
Company Representative

Normally the A-IR is slightly better at 20 amps than 30.

Is there an A-IR number on the cells ? If so it should be 1.2 to 1.8 higher as pack. So in your case the cells would be in the 3.8 range which is decent.
Old 12-27-2001, 06:45 PM
Tech Initiate

Great thread, and the insights from Danny are very impressive. I am using both SMH and the Sanyo HV. I too am very impressed with the Sanyo's, and will be trying the higher charge rate this weekend to see if there is a difference. I can't imagine even more power coming out of these cells, but if what you are saying is true about higher charge rates = more voltage, damn, these things are going to start scaring me. I compete with Speedo locally so if we compare notes, we'll let you know.

Greg Anderson
Old 12-27-2001, 06:59 PM
Tech Elite

Hey Greg. Just got these cells yesterday, so this was their first cycle.

The AIR numbers on the cells are 3.0, but that is on the lavco system, so it may be different on a CE? Either that or I used glue for solder I was impressed, because these cells stay over 7 volts for well over 5 minutes, so they should be very consistant.

Thanks Danny,
Speedo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.