Wiki Posts
Search

Tamiya TA05MS vs TRF415 MSXX

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 06:52 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RocketRacer
does anyone have a link to the an online manual for the 05MS?? rampal could you post some pics of the underside of the 05MS and maybe a few mor close ups. thanks
the manual isn't online yet, at least at tamiyausa.com....

I will make the comparison measures for battery and motor placement and will post as well some underside pictures... if time allows... I have a work dinner tonight...
Old 07-18-2007, 06:53 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by rcdy
rampal, nice collection.. i like..
I also have a TT-01
Old 07-18-2007, 06:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

The manual is on the Japanese site: http://www.tamiya.com/japan/rc/manuals.htm

Click on the TA05MS link
Old 07-18-2007, 11:10 AM
Tech Addict

ok gentlemen, let's go to the measures....

TA05MS

16.5 mm between center of steering to closest battery slot
8 mm from the geometric centre of chassis to the battery slot
16 mm from the geometric centre of chassis to the motor bulkhead

TRF415MSXX
12 mm between center of steering to closest battery slot
5 mm from the geometric centre of chassis to the battery slot
16.5 mm from the geometric centre of chassis to the motor bulkhead

so, it is clear that:
- batteries are a little behind (4.5mm) on the TA05MS, and 3mm outside in comparison with the 415
- motor is around 0.5 mm closer to the centre on the 05MS

I made this measures with a caliper and the 'eye', so I would say I have around 0.5mm of error on them.

more 05MS pictures:

sorry about the quality, but need to go fast to have drinks and dinner (work dinner anyway, with some German and British fellas (ladies as well )

cheers,
al
Old 07-18-2007, 11:42 AM
Tech Master

thank you for the measurements rampal!
I see, 3mm further away on the MS... I guess that extra belt is the culprit here. You guys think 3mm will have any notable difference? I mean, it's already 9mm closer than the 05R so that alone makes a huge difference.
I don't know. I'm so bent on getting this chassis though. My thinking is that I get the MS now, and wait for a 416 or whatever to come out.

Last edited by redbones; 07-18-2007 at 11:58 AM.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:59 AM
Tech Regular

i am also quite keen on this chassis, i can't resist the blue!!!! i am sure that it should be quiet a rocket. considering alll the praise that the TA05 got, this is definitely gonna be better!!
Old 07-18-2007, 12:02 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by redbones
thank you for the measurements rampal!
I see, 3mm further away on the MS... I guess that extra belt is the culprit here. You guys think 3mm will have any notable difference? I mean, it's already 9mm closer than the 05R so that alone makes a huge difference.
I don't know. I'm so bent on getting this chassis though. My thinking is that I get the MS now, and wait for a 416 or whatever to come out.
thanks rampal.

my GUESS would be... people will POSSIBLY notice more of a difference with the drivetrain difference (05MS vs 415) instead of the 3mm difference.

although i know i felt the difference btw my TA05R and my previous MRE. so im sure i'll feel the difference btw the TA05MS and my TA05R. but not as "fine" as the 3mm difference. [/rambling off]

Last edited by Hebiki; 07-18-2007 at 12:03 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 07-18-2007, 03:33 PM
Tech Addict

I´m back, a little bit drunk, but I´m back....

you know, the main reason I got this chassis was to try to achieve a better left to right balance without using lead... I'm a little bit obsessed with that approach.... I still haven't the feeling of it, but it seems those 3mm will make it... it definitely seems to be better achieved than the 'classic 05' (by also bringing the battery forward) and if at the end the 05MS ends up being exactly that, a platform in the middle that somehow mix the responsiveness and the grip from the TRF with the forgiveness and straighforward approach form the old 05, dude, this will be awesome!!!

anyway, need to do some work, otherwise would have been hanging around the forums more... (cannot resist anyway).... the armada never gets so much exposure like now... hehehe

cheers,
Old 07-18-2007, 04:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

While the "floating" centre shaft on the 05MS (like the new Mi3), I question its durability with high end mod motors over a season of racing. I can't but feel that a bit of harmonic imbalance happening, or the shaft getting easily bent, compared the the 415 where it is sits between two bulkheads.
Old 07-18-2007, 04:30 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Burlap
While the "floating" centre shaft on the 05MS (like the new Mi3), I question its durability with high end mod motors over a season of racing. I can't but feel that a bit of harmonic imbalance happening, or the shaft getting easily bent, compared the the 415 where it is sits between two bulkheads.
I have a cannondale jekyll and I weight around 86Kg (yeah, I´m fat) and I haven't broke the floating axle yet... time will tell... I don't think the axle will suffer, for me the bearings will take the worst part...

(cannot resist to have an rctech window open) hehehe
Old 07-18-2007, 05:39 PM
Tech Master

those flanged bearings on the layshaft, are they replaceable or some special tamiya custom one?
Old 07-18-2007, 08:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

The bearings are serviceable.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

whoops... wrong post...
Old 07-19-2007, 10:11 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Obviously the ideal comparison on performance of the 05MS & MSXX is on the track. The best way would be for owners of both of these chassis like rampal to do a 5min run on both. Motor obviously must be the same, preferably the same battery set, similar track conditions, i.e. temperature and of course the same driver.

Then post out your timings for us to view. As with many others, I am very eager to know the performance of the 05MS.

My money will be on the 05MS though... coz weight distribution is utmost important and influential factor in car racing, not limited to r/c. With the 05MS weight concentrated smack right in the center of the chassis, this baby will have excellent handling!!

I have gotten my 05MS, assembled it but have yet to have any track time. But I did a few spins on open area. I can immediately feel the difference comparing to the 05. The handling and traction is totally out of this world. Perhaps this may due to my inexperience in driving a high end TC. I do not have a MSXX and have not driven a carbon fibre chassis before!

But I am quietly confident the 05MS will be the chassis to beat in the next 2-3 years. Tamiya, being Tamiya, will surely release the TA05MSX or TRF416MS in the very near future.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:32 AM
Tech Adept

I`m not go mad if time will go and Tamiya bring new kit TA05MSX if i can updated my MS to MSX and car is faster after that

Maybe worldchampion edition

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.