Search

Why can't they fix the VTA thread?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 09:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)
Default wrong approach

Originally Posted by Evoracer
You are correct. It's your right. Since the problem has been rehashed to the umteenth degree i guess one more comment won't hurt. Bash on Ya'll !!
I don't think saying you can't stand when people don't read or bash on y'all....its condescending and not good you have people here showing interest in VTA and are just upset its not working, did you ever think they might not have known that others have complained about it.... be real and yes if some one questions the issue whether you heard it once or 100 times....just post the information and help them attract people not discourage!
Old 03-21-2012, 05:21 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

the thread really does need some attention - and its pretty amazing that none of the moderators have visited this one yet.

it was fixed, briefly, for like 12 hours and then it broke again. adjusting how you read the threads, like mentioned, is a nice work-around, but its not a fix...the adminstrator should take note and resolve this problem

the VTA thread has a ton of 'history' and references in it, so starting a new thread defeats the purpose of having an all-in-one location for information about this kind of racing..

choosing to ignore the thread because of the administrator(s) lack of maintenance is just dumb - don't blow off the class because of the someone else's laziness...I can say that as I AM a system adminstrator and understand the crap that goes on - however, that does not constitute an excuse for this going on as long as its has..

several comments have been made about the thread can only be fixed by some 'mysterious' update to the forums - well do the damn update already...I betcha what's happening the in the VTA thread will start happening in others as well (the F1 pics/discussions/whatever thread has it happening, now - granted its only +1 page and the 'last page' still works, but its happening)

so do the daggone update already
Old 03-21-2012, 06:55 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

guys...are we really worried about this....we shouldnt...

The US VTA isnt liked by alot of "old school" rc racers....and since it isnt, this is why it gets pushed aside all the time. They dont like the idea of this class, rather cause its slow or it takes away from TC and 12th scale...but they run the show....so why fight it. Cause I do fight, for US VTA to be in every major on-road event from coast to coast....but it doesnt always end up in my favor....but this year is looking better....with Birds and ROAR Carpet and Pav Nats....thats an added bonus

Use the method and move on....Ive been using it for awile now and its cool with me...and Ive got more post than anybody...lol

ps...hey you haters...the US VTA will help you get your on-road program going and get that rent paid so you can keep racing that mod TC
Old 03-21-2012, 07:12 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by JayL
No matter what I do I can't read the VTA thread, I have read/searched all about it....

Why can't they just fix it or start over?????

I have been ignoring VTA ever since this issue
cause they dont want to...simple
Old 03-21-2012, 07:14 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

My 2 cents....

The VTA thread isn't the only thread with this problem, there are a number of threads I suscribe to that have this issue. Changing the way I view the threads is not a fix and for me, a very annoying way to read a discussion. Kinda like reading a book backwards!

As for the popularity of the VTA class, this probably isn't the place for these comments but I will add that at our local track the VTA is now "the" class with almost twice the car count of other classes. 17.5 was the big class but is now outnumbered by VTA due to the racing. No, not cause it is cheaper or easier to drive, but because the racing is more balanced and door-to-door.

I wish they would get it fixed to make it easier to keep up with the thread. For me, I just click on the goto last post button instead of the first unread button and then scroll back to the last post I read. If that doesn't work I go up to the address bar and change the page number to one that is 2 less then the page I am getting redirected to.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Originally Posted by JayL
Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
cause they dont want to...simple
No matter what I do I can't read the VTA thread, I have read/searched all about it....

Why can't they just fix it or start over?????

I have been ignoring VTA ever since this issue
The RCTech.net programmers probably don't know how to fix the thread. They have tried in the past to fix it, but it went back to broken within a few hours.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wwddww34
The RCTech.net programmers probably don't know how to fix the thread. They have tried in the past to fix it, but it went back to broken within a few hours.
Yes, and this has happened several times. It's not like they haven't tried.

Actually I don't think much about it anymore. I click on "last page" for the VTA thread, when I get the redirect error message, I click on "try again" and it always works.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:53 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Go to the bottom of the web page, click on the Contact Us button/link, send them the name of the thread that is broken. BE NICE! If you don't do that, then we are just talking to ourselves.

John
Old 03-21-2012, 08:05 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by wwddww34
Correct, & for the record, it has nothing to do with mods not caring about it. I'm one of the mods & I care VERY much about VTA(I think anyone who got to know me at the Nats this past weekend has an idea of how much I enjoy it), but there's nothing I can do to fix it that hasn't already been done. IB & their techs are the ONLY ones who can do anything on that side of things(we mods are more or less the traffic cops, we can keep things moving, but we can't fix the road). I don't like the VTA thread being difficult to access anymore than the rest of you, but the only choices we have right now, are the work around already mentioned, wating for IB to figure out how to fix the current thread, or start a new one(which anyone can do, btw, but I'd suggest we wait a little more & see if IB can sort it out)....
Old 03-21-2012, 08:22 AM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

ps...hey you haters...the US VTA will help you get your on-road program going and get that rent paid so you can keep racing that mod TC[/QUOTE]

Yea...Theyve done so much for our track this year 2-3 a week dont pay the rent.

But I agree that VTA is a great class to get people going.....Its just not the answer for everything you are making it out to me in that sentence.

EA
Old 03-21-2012, 08:27 AM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

And honestly guys...Just start a new thread. I am sure the Mods here will not mind since the other thread is broke as you all say and one new threads is better than 5 of these threads every couple of weeks. Most people dont like digging through hundreds of pages to find an answer anyway.

And if they havent been able to figure it out on the IT end of it then they either cant fix it or as you say dont care to fix it.....either of which are out of anyone on heres hands.

EA
Old 03-21-2012, 08:32 AM
Tech Addict

Assuming the posts in this thread are correct and this site is owned/operated by IB and that IB also owns vBulletin, then why is this site still running v3.7 when v4.1 is the current version? If they really are the same company then that should be a no-brainer. Really, regardless of whether or not they are the same company or related at all, upgrading to the current version of the software wouldn't be a bad thing.

I understand that the site is "free to use" and that there are fees associated with the software, support, hosting, hardware and bandwidth, but there are ads on this site and if they aren't generating enough revenue to keep the site running properly they need to consider what the real answer is -- more ads, subscriptions/alternate revenue streams or reduce the amount of free content -- not letting errors continue to appear and doing nothing to fix them.

I ran a vBulletin site in the past and there is a non-trivial amount of background site and database maintenance that needs to be performed routinely (re-indexing, backups, disk cleanup, database re-organization and defragmentation, user database maintenance, etc.) and those parts have to be scheduled and configured outside of the "normal" "next, next, next, finish" installation process if you want any semblance of a life outside of site maintenance. Unless you sit in front of the system and constantly look for errors/problems and read the logs in real time, scheduled, automated maintenance is the only way for a site to stay up and relatively error free.

I'm sure that the index on the VTA thread is broken and needs to be repaired, but if the admins aren't doing scheduled routine maintenance then it'll stay broken until someone manually fixes it. And, if they just manually fix it once, it'll break again (as we've seen) without the scheduled routine maintenance. They need to stop playing whack-a-mole and setup some scheduled maintenance.

As much as everyone hates it a new thread is probably the best option. Create a new thread, post a few messages at the beginning of the new thread as place holders. Make the 1st post an intro and put some links back to "critical" posts in the old thread.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:40 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

There is a section for issues with RC Tech that we ask people to post their problems. The mods can't see everything but we do see most things but we still need your help in identifying problems. I know things like the VTA Thread was one thing that was broken but if there are others let us know too. Don't assume that things will get reported by someone else and eventually it will get fixed.

Here is the section.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-tech-site-forum-14/

Kraig